PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast V1000 hand wheel

delbs
8th February 2014, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone

I have a Woodfast V1000 1989 lathe. i purchased the accessory 1"x10 TPI LH hand wheel. Upon receiving it i
noticed it doesn't fit. The diameter of the shaft on the head stock is roughly 22.8 and internal diameter
of the hand wheel is 21.7. Do i need an insert or something to make this fit?

As there are only 2 to chose from on the woodfast website i thought i would have the correct one as
their only difference is the TPI, not diameter.

Am i missing something obvious to install it or can someone point me in the right direction of where to buy an insert?
Or i just may not be able to get a hand wheel for this model lathe

Thanks in advance everyone
Nathan

brendan stemp
8th February 2014, 11:04 AM
Ring the boys at Woodfast. They are very approachable and will be happy to put you on the right track. I think your problem stems from the fact that there are 2 styles of Woodfast lathes now; the newer yellow ones and the older green ones, which you have. Their website will refer to the newer style but they will still have supplies/parts for the older lathes.

Jim Carroll
8th February 2014, 11:53 AM
The problem with the older Woodfast is that the parts are not interchangeable with the newer ones.

A lot of the parts are no longer available

delbs
8th February 2014, 12:10 PM
The problem with the older Woodfast is that the parts are not interchangeable with the newer ones.

A lot of the parts are no longer available

Thanks for the info. I have called Woodfast and left a Vm, see if they have anything that can help. Or i may visit a local metal guy and see if i can get LH thread bolt and get a hand wheel made.

chuck1
8th February 2014, 12:30 PM
I did it the cheap way and used some plywood and drilled a hole abit smaller than the thread size and mounted it on a Timber mandrel to turn sand and polish then slowly screwed it on the left hand thread. it's been there 4 years now.
it saved some money and does the job.

jimbur
8th February 2014, 12:41 PM
At the risk of making a stupid comment - you did try to screw it on in an anti-clockwise way? In my defence, I have seen people struggling with left hand threads.

delbs
8th February 2014, 12:45 PM
Ahh thanks Chuck i should try that. at the end of the day i just want a handle it doesnt have to be perfect. Cheers

haha yeah the problem is that the thread doesnt engage at all because of the size difference. the hand wheel diameter is larger than the shaft its screwing onto.

jimbur
8th February 2014, 12:49 PM
haha yeah the problem is that the thread doesnt engage at all because of the size different. the hand wheel diameter is larger than the shaft its screwing onto.

:B

Evanism
10th February 2014, 01:18 AM
Chuck1 has a point. We have a lathe to make round things, so let's make a handle out of wood.

Make it so the hole to go over the threads is just smaller. Wind it on like threading with a tap and die. When firmly on, drill through with a 2mm drill bit and insert a wood screw to lock it down... Maybe 2 or 3 (do brass for a steam punk look)

Then finish the turning right there on the lathe! Apply a super sized Corbs-special CA finish and voila!

When are we going to paint it? Soup it up with graffiti or flames! Yes! Hot rod flames!

delbs
10th February 2014, 11:31 AM
Chuck1 has a point. We have a lathe to make round things, so let's make a handle out of wood.

Make it so the hole to go over the threads is just smaller. Wind it on like threading with a tap and die. When firmly on, drill through with a 2mm drill bit and insert a wood screw to lock it down... Maybe 2 or 3 (do brass for a steam punk look)

Then finish the turning right there on the lathe! Apply a super sized Corbs-special CA finish and voila!

When are we going to paint it? Soup it up with graffiti or flames! Yes! Hot rod flames!

Cheers, yeah i was planning on doing exactly that. Ill advertise my hand wheel for sale shortly id say. i'll take it out to specialty fastners to make sure they cant help me. then ill make one but ill coat ill just use tung oil and wax or something CA gets to hot when using bare hands while its spinning, not to mention the amount of CA id use to cover it, ill save it for my special pens that are going to be coming out for the pen swap :)

I know! i would love to have it painted black. Black with a new nice chuck = woodfast sexy!

China
10th February 2014, 04:31 PM
Have you contacted woodfast? they have 1"-10tpi handwheels, you may have been sent the wrong item.

delbs
10th February 2014, 04:58 PM
Just got a call from them today actually. He said theyre aware of the v1000 but dont stock that size thread because they didnt make that model. It was an import model. So my only option is to take the wheel and get a new insert made for that spevific size thread which would be ideal. Ill go talk to some fastner guys on wednesday to see if its possible n how much itl cost. If too exxy then ill just make a wooden wheel :) woodfast only stock 2 type of thread pitch. The diameter is the same. I have a unique one. That being said everything else on the lathe is normal so i dont really care. Its just a nice to have feature. When i turn it off to check my progress it stops really quickly anyway.