PDA

View Full Version : My second little lidded box - NSW Rosewood w Silver Ash trim

Hermit
8th February 2014, 12:26 PM
My latest attempt. I made this one similar in shape to my first one because ever since finishing the first I've been hounded by one of the neighbours to sell it to him for his girlfriend, so I made this one to keep him happy. (Gotta stay sweet with the neighbours.)

NSW Scented Rosewood body & lid with QLD Silver Ash knob and lid pinstripe, finished in 3 coats WOP.
It's 85mm diameter (at the outside of the lid's 'lip'), 100mm tall, (84mm tall without knob) and has 5mm thick walls.

Most of it came up OK, but I wish now that I'd put more time into sanding the bottom. Not to worry, at least it is only the bottom.

While the white knob seemed like a good idea when I drew it up, I'm not so sure now. Too much white? (It doesn't look as white as in some pics - the third pic shows the real colour.) A pinstripe in the body might have balanced it a bit more.
I haven't glued the knob on yet, but I don't have any more of the Rosewood to make another if the general consensus is that it is too white. The blank was originally 95mm x 90mm, so I sawed 5mm off the edge to square it and used the 3mm offcut for the centre lid insert, but there's virtually nothing left of that.

Anyway, all comments and suggestions are most welcome.

303380 303381 303382

303383 303384

Big Shed
8th February 2014, 12:32 PM
Looks great in photo 3, but in 1 and 2 it looks like white resin.

Nothing wrong with how it looks in photo 3, nice contrast.:2tsup:

elderly
8th February 2014, 12:47 PM
It looks very nice Steve. If as you say pic three is the true colour I don't see a problem.
Cheers Frank.

Hermit
8th February 2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, Fred and Frank. I tried using a second light to reduce shadows, but it just caused more glare. If anything, the knob is even darker/more yellow than in the third pic.

I'll take it for a walk shortly and see what the (potential) recipient thinks, before I glue it on.

ajw
8th February 2014, 01:05 PM
Lovely work. How did you do the inlay?

artme
8th February 2014, 01:39 PM
Nice one Steve!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

At first I thought it was a whit resin nob and inlay.

Sturdee
8th February 2014, 02:38 PM
Nice work Steve. As photo 3 is an accurate colour match then I think it's great. Remember the camera can lie.:U

I'm sure it will be well appreciated and as regards to the bottom only turners look very closely at them and feel them to see if they are a bit rough. :U

Peter.

Btw I like the new measuring system of using coins.:2tsup:

turnerted
8th February 2014, 04:14 PM
Looks good Steve.I especially like the pinstripe.I just finished the lid of a box half an hour ago with a claret ash insert instead of a knob. Looks just the same colour as 3.
Ted

tdrumnut
8th February 2014, 06:05 PM
Great job Steve

Hermit
8th February 2014, 10:24 PM
Thank you for the kind comments guys.

Lovely work. How did you do the inlay?

I cheated - first I turned a recess and glued in a white Silver Ash centre, then turned away most of that leaving the 3mm pinstripe. Next I glued in a disc of Rosewood to fill in the centre. The Rosewood was only about 3mm thick, so I glued it to a piece of Tas Oak before fitting it so I could turn a tenon on top to hollow the inside.
I took a pic after I shaped the outside, before hollowing and removing the tenon.
I had to place a lot of faith in the glue joint running through the tenon. :D:

Hermit
8th February 2014, 10:32 PM

Wonder where I got that idea? (The new standard unit of measurement for lidded boxes.)

bj383ss
8th February 2014, 10:40 PM
Looks great Steve. Now you know how to make white wall tires for your scale models. LOL

Bret

Hermit
8th February 2014, 10:49 PM
Looks great Steve. Now you know how to make white wall tires for your scale models. LOL

Bret

Spot on Bret. I've had wheels in mind as I turned these boxes. Good practice for the precision I'll need to make a decent, matching set of wheels.

I checked out your pickup restoration thread yesterday. Coming along nicely. :2tsup:

Dalboy
9th February 2014, 12:15 AM
Well done Steve looks good, I don't think the contrasting wood is too much.

Remember the camera can lie.:U

I agree always makes me look bigger than I am:o:roflmao::roflmao:

Now that I know how big they are :U

Bret

:iagree: