PDA

View Full Version : concrete slab versus piers

Pulpo
9th June 2005, 05:32 PM
Not sure whether to build a small shack on a concrete slab or on piers with bearers and joists.

On level ground, no chance of flooding.

In cold climate, with verandah going most the way around.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what would be best would be appreciated

Thanks

Pulpo

Don Nethercott
9th June 2005, 06:44 PM
Just my thoughts -
Concrete is bad for the legs - ie varicose veins
Bit hard to add a bit of plumbing, etc underfloor after the slab is poured
Flooring can be adequately insulated, and air flowing under the house allows good ventilation thus no moisture.
Underfloor if great for storing those odd bits of timber, pipe, etc that can't seem to go anywhere else.
A bit higher and you can fit the canoe, boat, bike, etc under.

Good luck
Don

echnidna
9th June 2005, 07:16 PM
Agree totally with Don.
Also you can slap a bit of polyurethane over timber or sheet floor a lot cheaper than you can cover a concrete slab with.
A minor advantage is that years down the track you could relocate the whole building if its on piers or stumps. A lot harder & much more expensive to do this with a slab.

ozwinner
9th June 2005, 08:08 PM
Go here (http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhome/) all will be revealed.

Al :)

julianx
11th June 2005, 08:20 PM
termites are a lot easier to manage when a building is on piers.

Pulpo
12th June 2005, 09:58 AM
I agree that termites are easier to see with piers, additional drainage is easier to install with piers, also I suppose one person could do the piers by themselves but I could not do the entire slab myself.

Cost, at a guess would be cheaper with concrete than piers.

I like the solid base of concrete than bearers and joists, but I could just put thicker flooring down and 450m spacing for joists.

I'm still not sure and have yet to find a convincing argument either way.

If I buggered up the concrete slab from a bad batch of concrete or it was poorly engineered and then build the house it could be a very expensive exercise to correct.

However if on piers although expensive it would not be impossible.

Thanks for the thoughts

shall take on board

Pulpo

Barry_White
12th June 2005, 11:11 AM
Why not have the best of both worlds. Build an elevated slab using piers and beams with Bondek to support the concrete, then you can have your space underneath.

glock40sw
12th June 2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with Bazza. You could also install heating elements in the slab as well for use in winter.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton