PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Sydney

McDrew
13th February 2014, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Drew. I'm 33, a chef and originally from Brissy, moved here just over 4 years ago with my wife.
My Dad is a great woodworker, He made all the beautiful furniture I grew up with. I might only meet a few other people in my life that love woodworking as much as him. He has taught me much and most importantly gave me all the skills I need to teach myself.
It has only been recently my interest for the craft has increased, and Christmas 2013 my Dad and I built a workbench for my Sydney balcony.

My first project was to build two chisel mallets, one for me one for dad. They are made from QLD Blackbean and Figured NSW Blackbutt. The handle is waxed with a beeswax and carnauba finish, it feels great and retains a great natural look imo. The head is coated with a clear poly varnish, it really highlights the cats eye pattern in the Blackbutt. It probably won't stand up to the beating it will cop, but I've heard its pretty tough. It doesn't matter, it's not just for looking at.

My second project is a saw handle. I've used the Blackbean, it has been really nice to work with. Although the figured Blackbutt is beautiful, the wavy grain is difficult for a beginner like me to work with. I have yet to decide whether I will use it to replace my lynx brand dovetail handle with, or attach it to a saw blank and make my own. It needs some chamfering around where the back will sit and obviously cut the kerf and mortise for the back and plate. I've ordered some 1/2" saw bolts and split nuts from Blackburn tools and I'll have to get out to carbatec and buy a forstner bit. I will finish it with the beeswax carnauba when it's done.

Nice to meet you. I hope the photos attach ok and excuse the daggy pants, for some reason you guys are privy to my unedited pics. So be it!

Drew

Christos
14th February 2014, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum.

tdrumnut
14th February 2014, 03:35 PM
Welcome aboard Drew.

crowie
14th February 2014, 05:09 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Drew".
There are a heap of members in Sydney and surrounding areas.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you keep showing off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers crowie

PS - There's a Get to Gether at Katoomba of some of the Sydney basin forum members, your very well...
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=181432

old1955
14th February 2014, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Drew.

Perfect Pens
14th February 2014, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the forums Drew :2tsup:

Nice work on the tools too by the way.

Cheers
Tony.

JJF
16th February 2014, 08:05 AM