PDA

View Full Version : Nearly worn out my Thompson bowl gouge.

tea lady
14th February 2014, 09:39 AM
Must be some sort of mile stone. Worn out a tool. :cool: But I will soon need another one. Can we get them one shore now?

tea lady
14th February 2014, 10:12 AM
So found them at http://www.woodworkingsuppliesqld.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=97_99&products_id=499

But they only have 1/2 inch in U shaped, so might need to order from US. Anyone else need anything from Thompsons?

jay h
14th February 2014, 12:06 PM
Hi Tl, I have just purshased the 3/8" and 1/2" jimmy clewes Vee Gouges, really like them, for what that's worth. Purchased from SE Queensland woodturning supplies ( excellent service). I could bring them over and you could have a play, Live just down the road. Jay.

Old Croc
14th February 2014, 02:27 PM
Must be some sort of mile stone. Worn out a tool. :cool: But I will soon need another one. Can we get them one shore now?

At the risk of starting another war here, may i ask what you are using to sharpen the tools with?
rgds,
Crocy.

The Bleeder
14th February 2014, 02:31 PM
At the risk of starting another war here, may i ask what you are using to sharpen the tools with?
rgds,
Crocy.

It may not be the sharpening thing but what TL is using it on or is she working too hard :B

nz_carver
14th February 2014, 05:45 PM
Try the vicmarc one I think it's the same steel they hold a good edge and there on par with price with most of the other brands

If you want Thompson I'd email Doug he's happy to send to Australia

theres been talk about a bulk order and Doug is happy for the forum to do another order no problems

tea lady
14th February 2014, 07:31 PM
rgds,
Crocy.This bowl gouge is maybe 5 years old. (Now sharpening with a CBN wheel bit I don't think that's the problem. I just been using it. :P

Try the vicmarc one I think it's the same steel they hold a good edge and there on par with price with most of the other brands

If you want Thompson I'd email Doug he's happy to send to Australia

theres been talk about a bulk order and Doug is happy for the forum to do another order no problemsI guess I'll have a look at Vicmarc. Its just that i want the "V" shaped gouge not the parabolic flute. I actually use it more for spindle turning and facing off the end off boxes. Seems to work better if it is "v".

jay h
16th February 2014, 09:46 AM
Hi TL, The Jimmy Clewes gouges I mentioned in my earlier post are made by Thompson and the 1/2 is similar to the Thompson, the vee is maybe a little deeper. I would be happy to bring them over for you to have a look at them. Jay

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th February 2014, 12:07 PM

Ditto. :- I bought a couple of Kryos in the last(? first?) Thompson bulk buy - a 3/8" and a 1/2" - and although I've 'saved' the 3/8" for finishing cuts I've worn the 1/2" down a ridonkulous amount.

So I'm looking for a replacement for that... and a 1/2" (or mebbe a 3/8") v-flute for the same reasons you are!

Another forum bulk-buy is sounding pretty good to me right now. ;)

tea lady
16th February 2014, 01:15 PM
Ditto. :- I bought a couple of Kryos in the last(? first?) Thompson bulk buy - a 3/8" and a 1/2" - and although I've 'saved' the 3/8" for finishing cuts I've worn the 1/2" down a ridonkulous amount.

So I'm looking for a replacement for that... and a 1/2" (or mebbe a 3/8") v-flute for the same reasons you are!

Another forum bulk-buy is sounding pretty good to me right now. ;)The Thompson web page reckons that 5 bowl gouges can be shipped for $14.95. :think: I might go a 1/2 and a 5/8th "V".

International orders please contact me before placing a order.
3/8 & 1/2 (up to 5 total) diameter tools can be shipped world wide for $14.95 USD
5/8 & 3/4 diameter tools, shipping cost world wide is $44.95 USD (up to 15 in this box)

NeilS
16th February 2014, 03:47 PM
Anyone else need anything from Thompsons?

'on ya, TL!

Just watch the $1000 limit for avoiding GST and import duty.

tea lady
16th February 2014, 03:58 PM
'on ya, TL!

Just watch the $1000 limit for avoiding GST and import duty.And get in before Abbot mucks that up too.:C:D

Mobyturns
17th February 2014, 09:24 AM
The Thompson web page reckons that 5 bowl gouges can be shipped for $14.95. I might go a 1/2 and a 5/8th "V".

International orders please contact me before placing a order.
3/8 & 1/2 (up to 5 total) diameter tools can be shipped world wide for $14.95 USD
5/8 & 3/4 diameter tools, shipping cost world wide is $44.95 USD (up to 15 in this box)

Doug is a great bloke and makes a fantastic range of tools.

The Thompsons & the Clewes versions are available from David at SE Qld Woodworking supplies @ the same price as Doug sells them for. If you know someone going to Turnfest they could bring them back for you for nicks.

tea lady
17th February 2014, 10:32 AM
Doug is a great bloke and makes a fantastic range of tools.

The Thompsons & the Clewes versions are available from David at SE Qld Woodworking supplies @ the same price as Doug sells them for. If you know someone going to Turnfest they could bring them back for you for nicks.David doesn't have the "v" shaped gouges listed on his site. But I will ask him if he has them.

tea lady
17th February 2014, 10:59 AM
:think: OK. David has 1/2 inch "v" shaped in the jimmy version but not the normal version. $77. :hmm: pondering.

So can someone post a pick of their Jimmy Clews bowl gouge? How much deeper is the "V"? How much steel is left under it? Part of the problem with the P&Ns is not enough steel at the bottom makes is hard to sharpen to a nice profile.

jay h
17th February 2014, 11:46 AM
Hi TL,I can't take photos but here are the measurements
Thompson 5/8"---- stock 16.5mm Flute width 10.17 or 51% flute depth 50%
Jimmy Clewes 1/2" stock 13.25mm flute width 8.85 or 66% flute depth 50% Vee is wider at the top, less so but still wider at the bottom, with less steel under the flute
Jimmy Clewes 3/8" stock 9.88mm Flute with 6mm or 60% flute depth 41% once again a wide flute but shallower more steel under the flute.
The offer to try them is still open. Jay

tea lady
17th February 2014, 01:04 PM
The offer to try them is still open. Jay Might have to do that.

RETIRED
17th February 2014, 01:16 PM
Jay. I removed your phone number and PM'd it to Tea Lady.

jay h
17th February 2014, 01:46 PM
Hi , sorry for the inconvenience thought I was doing the wrong thing. I am having a bad day. Sorry once again, Jay