PDA

View Full Version : Winged Bowl from Torech's wood... (Pix)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th February 2014, 02:16 PM
As some of you know, I swapped an MC-900 for some timber with Torech. Being a firewood supplier, he had a yard full of tempting slabs, etc, etc... and I suspect that he was a bit surprised by what I chose: a coupla small slabs, odd, seemingly random bits of firewood and a couple of odd looking burls/growths, etc.

If I'd taken a trailer with me, it may've been a different story, however we still had to baby the s/wagon down to Melbourne, Phillip Island and then back up to Sydney, so fuel was a major factor in my selection... that and I chose pieces good for turning not cabinet-making. (Next time, Torech. Next time! Mwahahaha!)

Anyways, here's a piece I've just finished from a dressed (30cm^2 x 6cm thick) piece of Euc.(?) burl that he threw in almost as an afterthought.

It's still 30cm square, but is now only 5cm tall. Finished with a single coat of Tung Oil in these pix, but I'm applying French Polish over it even as I type. (This'll take me weeks, so don't expect a "finished" finished pic any time soon! :p)

bench1holio
15th February 2014, 02:32 PM
Pretty cool looking piece skew!:2tsup:....looks like yellowbox.

Pat
15th February 2014, 05:09 PM
Looks like a lot of fun was had. How are the knuckles?:;

dr4g0nfly
15th February 2014, 08:32 PM
Skew,

looking at the cracks in that burr (burl) it was a brave turn to make it square.

Very well done.

dai sensei
15th February 2014, 09:07 PM
Beautiful Skew :cool::2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th February 2014, 10:05 PM
Thank you for the kind words, fellas! :)

Skew, looking at the cracks in that burr (burl) it was a brave turn to make it square.

Not so brave as you might think... if you look closely enough you'll spot a few strategically placed infills of epoxy & coffee grinds. But I did try to be cunning about it! :D

What worried me more was the loose chunks of bark. Saturated with CA, but I didn't want it obvious so I used the thin stuff. Which I don't really trust. :rolleyes:

Looks like a lot of fun was had. How are the knuckles?:;

I've done enough odd-shaped pieces that I don't worry about fingers, etc. anymore; pain is an excellent teacher. It's the UFOs that worry me...

chuck1
16th February 2014, 08:41 AM
very nice love the colours in it! hope you don't get to many UFO'S!

Christos
20th February 2014, 07:16 PM
UFO? You have UFO's in the mountains?

At least I can identify a flying piece of wood. Not always from the lathe. :U

Nice piece by the way.

Dalboy
20th February 2014, 11:35 PM
Great piece the cracks certainly give it character:2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
21st February 2014, 10:56 AM
Skew,

The piece is beautiful. How did you get 2 of the corners tip one way and the other tip the opposite?

I have found that applying multiple coats of thinned Tung oil and buffing with a dry cloth in between I can get whatever shine I want fairly quickly. The harder the timber the quicker the shine.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st February 2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

The piece is beautiful. How did you get 2 of the corners tip one way and the other tip the opposite?

I cheated. :D Actually, I turned each tip with TWO wings, one bending each way. Then, once the piece comes off the lathe I chose which which points I wanted to keep (a couple were so badly chipped that it made the selection easier) and cut off the unwanted pieces. A li'l bit of sanding, a nice, shiny finish and Hey Presto! ;)

If you look closely you'll see that there's a 3rd tip pointing upwards... the one opposite the downward one. It's only half-a-tip but the piece that was removed was way worse. :rolleyes:

I have found that applying multiple coats of thinned Tung oil and buffing with a dry cloth in between I can get whatever shine I want fairly quickly. The harder the timber the quicker the shine.

I've been practising my French Polishing and decided to try it on a few recently turned pieces. I now have a new favourite "easy to apply" finish. A coat of 100% Tung Oil to make the grain pop, then several coats of hand-rubbed Shellac.