PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Queensland Maple Dining Table - HELP

matwilliams19
18th February 2014, 12:19 PM
Hello All,

I'm nearing the end of my first big project, a 2.2m x 1m dining table.

The frame and legs are made from recycled 100 x 100 pemba and some 100 x 50 silky oak. I've left some of the various paint layers on the pemba, and sanded some parts down to bare timeber. The silky oak is sanded bare. I've decided to coat the base and legs in a water based poly from Minwax.

The table top is made from Queensland Maple - joined planks.

I'm a bit stuck on how to finish the top. This table will be used for everyday use, hopefully forever. I don't mind if I have to apply a coat oil or wax or both every 12 months or so to maintain finish. We have twins on the way so it's going to take some punishment, spills etc. I'm not looking for a finish that I can put a hot pot directly onto, but if some food or wine is spilt I'd like to be able to clean that up. Also, I dont mind if it ends up dented and scratched over time as I'm going for a rustic farmhouse look anyway and want the table to tell a story in 20 years.

I thought I was going to use hard burnishing oil then apply a wax but have read mixed results with burnishing oil in terms of application difficulty and finish result. So now I'm looking at other options. So far I have read about:

- using a floorseal such as feast watson then finsih with EEE ultrashine
- Tung oil then finish with a wax
- Wipe on poly

Could the more experienced people here provide some advice?

Thanks

LGS
18th February 2014, 12:51 PM
Hi Mat and welcome.

Hard Burnishing Oil will do it for you. Have a look at this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=166948) and follow the instructions given there or go to http://www.sanding.damnfinefurniture.com and follow that method. The finish is beautiful and lasts. Scratches can effectively be gotten rid of by adding another coat of oil.

Regards,

Rob

LGS
18th February 2014, 12:59 PM
Also.... where in Australia are you?

Enfield Guy
18th February 2014, 07:05 PM
OSMO would be my choice for a piece such as this. Google is your friend. For the application I believe OSMO to be head and shoulders above the rest. No connection, just a happy customer.

Cheers

matwilliams19
19th February 2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the pointers, I'm leaning towards HBO based on the links Rob suggested.

Any others suggestions from anyone?

matwilliams19
9th April 2014, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I thought I better post back with my finished product and thoughts on HBO.

Photos are attached. Overall I couldn't be happier with the finish. I followed Robs advice for application and didn't have a problem. Easy to apply, sand and finish to whatever sheen you require. Been using the table for a couple of weeks and no marks evident so far. Repells everything.

I sanded up to 4000 grit as I wanted a shine finish to show off the wood grain and texture.

Rob - thanks for all of your advice on here and over the phone. You were a great help.

I totally recommend HBO for a project like this based on my result.

Now I just need 4 more chairs and I'm not making those!

Mathew