PDA

View Full Version : half back changes

Ron Bontz
18th February 2014, 05:14 PM
I had to make some more half backs out of big leaf, black walnut, apple and tiger. So I decided to make a design change to make the saws coincide with my other handles better. I do like things to match. :) So a big leaf and a black walnut.
304523304524 I think I like the black walnut better, myself.

planemaker
18th February 2014, 08:28 PM
Love the look of both your half back saws Ron. Top notch.

Stewie;

shedbound
18th February 2014, 08:56 PM
definately a couple of first class saws:2tsup::2tsup:

DSEL74
20th February 2014, 05:26 PM
Ron, Is the only change to the inside shape of the handle? The walnut looks narrower but that could be the change in camera angle.

Initially I was going to say the walnut is my preferred design but the longer I look at it the more the big leaf looks more finished and better flow so I am now leaning to the big leaf.
End of the day I'd be proud to own either.

Simplicity
20th February 2014, 08:37 PM
Ron
Another hot double act.
The walnut is fantastic.
But the big leaf looks all most like it is shimmering or is that just the camera?
Would you mind explaining how you cut the narrow grove in the brass backs
I can't seem to leave my backs just plain either.
Not that I've been busy lately with saws :-(

Ron Bontz
21st February 2014, 03:32 AM
Camera angle. The Black Walnut and big leaf are both the same thickness. The main difference is the back of the cheeks. The idea was to add a design option. The lines in the back are simply cut with a slit saw, make shift fence exposing the blade the depth of the cut, and a drill press at a lower RPM. Less than 1000 Rpm. The drill press or mill is the best way to go with these slit saws. The big leaf was finished with 3 coats of true oil then hand buffed.