PDA

View Full Version : Australian Woodturning Exhibition

DPB
10th June 2005, 04:46 PM
The Australian Woodturning Exhibition is coming up at the middle of this month and being held somewhere in in Melbourne.

Can anyone provide details?

Gumby
10th June 2005, 05:24 PM
17th, 18th 19th June - I forgot to mention it to you on the phone yesterday. I'll check but I think its in Ringwood (civic centre perhaps). 10 - 5.30 If you are going, maybe I'll meet you there for a coffee. not sure what day I'm going but probably the Friday

DPB
10th June 2005, 05:45 PM
I'll answer my own question.:D

I think this information is current. Would like someone in the know to confirm it, though.

June 17<SUP>th</SUP> 18<SUP>th</SUP> 19th<O:p</O:p

Australian Woodturning Exhibition<O:p</O:p

Waratah Room, Whitehorse Centre<O:p</O:p

397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading, <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=hitehorse</ST1 /><st1:Street w:st=<st1:address w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">Melbourne</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Vic.</st1:State></ST1:p<O:p</O:p

Friday 17<SUP>th</SUP> June 2005 - 10.00am to 8.30pm<O:p</O:p

Saturday 18<SUP>th</SUP> June 2005 - 10.00am to 5.00pm<O:p</O:p

Sunday 19<SUP>th</SUP> June 2005 – 10.00 am to 4.00pm,<O:p</O:p

Gumby
10th June 2005, 07:34 PM
Oh well, at least i was close............. :D

ribot
10th June 2005, 10:21 PM
Never been to it . What caliber of work or turners of reknown are represented or more to the point . Is it worth a trip from Gippsland ?

rsser
10th June 2005, 10:50 PM
Never been to it . What caliber of work or turners of reknown are represented or more to the point . Is it worth a trip from Gippsland ?

Last year: Hughes, Marcolongo, Wraight, Potocnik etc.

Knocked my socks off.

ribot
10th June 2005, 10:57 PM
OOOOH, your making me drool and I sporting a smile to boot.

Thank you very much might see if the local woodgroup would be interested in going.

JackoH
11th June 2005, 10:57 AM
Ribot. It is worth a trip from anywhere in Australia if youir main interest is turning..

(Don't you lot wear your foillies!)

rsser
11th June 2005, 11:07 AM
Yep; last year's student prize winner make me feel like a rank amateur.

ribot
11th June 2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys , am half way organised with a mate to go down, only need to work something out with she who must be obeyed.

Is there a best day or opportunity to attend?

Gumby
11th June 2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys , am half way organised with a mate to go down, only need to work something out with she who must be obeyed.

Is there a best day or opportunity to attend?

When she's either given permission or is looking the other way, whichever comes first ! ;)

ribot
11th June 2005, 08:42 PM
Gotcha!

rsser
12th June 2005, 09:01 AM
http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.com/

Check out the 04 slideshow

ribot
12th June 2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks rsser, I see what you mean about being into turning to appreciate the show.

I didn't look at all the slides cause it was so damn slow at downloading. May be my server or perhaps that site is slow as a wet wick, I don't know.

Still , thanks once again for the link. Have to say some of what I saw was Pretty ordinary, not to say that I can do better so I guess I had better get my butt down to Nunawading and hopefully eat humble pie.

Wonder if Stephen Hughes sculpture/turned piece is a self portrait? certainly reminds me of him.

Kev Y.
12th June 2005, 11:50 AM
Ok, you got me.. seeing as how I have Friday off, I think I will finally get there this year.

I have had it on my "things to do and see" list for a few years now....

dai sensei
12th June 2005, 11:59 AM
Check out the 04 slideshow
That show takes a while, but worth it. Thanks RSSER for the link.

keppar
12th June 2005, 03:26 PM
Hi All Will the exhibition include demonstations ?

ubeaut
12th June 2005, 04:44 PM
No. It is purely an exhibition and definitely one worth visiting if you are a woodtuner, if for no othe reason than to get inspired.

rsser
12th June 2005, 06:40 PM
Hi Ribot,

Yeah, I'm on ADSL and it was slow.

There was a real mix; the good was v. good (and prob. not well photographed) and there was as always a lot of ordinary stuff.

PS Love the Walker quote; I ride a Triumph Sprint tho. not like I'm married to it! I wear protection ;-}

ribot
13th June 2005, 02:48 PM
rsser, sign of the times my friend. When I was a kid we all laughed at protection.

DPB
18th June 2005, 10:23 AM
Well, I went to the exhibition yesterday with Gumby. There were many awesome entries, at a standard I can only dream of obtaining.

I was surprised at the size of the exhibition - small.

I had attended the recent show of the Peninsula Woodturners Guild (I think I've got that right) in Frankstone. The standard there was equally good and there were twice the number of items on display.

One other difference was that at the Frankston show, viewers were allowed to carefully handle the exhibits. Not so yesterday. Now I understand the concern, but I must say that turned items just beg to be picked up and examined. The frustration of not being able to do so detracted from my enjoyment of the show.

I am probably not qualified to comment. But from the perspective of an entry level novice, I would be spitting chips if I'd driven the kind of distances that rssr suggests are justified.

rsser
18th June 2005, 01:31 PM
I can understand your last comment Woodchuck. My judgement was of last year's show though.

ribot
19th June 2005, 12:38 PM
rsser, a friend and myself drove down from Gippsland (around Sale district) and found it quite worth the drive.

Quantity of exhibits wasn't there however we didn't get "wooded out " if you know what I mean.

Quality was superb and I would expect more of us will be getting organised for future event, share vehicles, logistics etc.

Touching of items issue didn't seem to be a problem as we were told many times to ask the people with name tags for help. We did and information flowed at a greater rate than I could take in in one go. Consequently I went back for more many times (hope I didn't make a nuisance of myself). We asked for help and were even invited by the helpers to feel the thickness of bowl walls etc. We were happy with the amount of wood we were allowed to touch , under SUPERVISION I might add.

A big thank you to Ken Wraight who's ear we bent for quite a while and also to the other helpers.

Small exhibit, Quality second to none we have seen.

Thank you rsser for the info cause we wouldn't have attended without yours and others encouragement.

rsser
19th June 2005, 12:45 PM
Pleasure - I'm glad the trip paid off.

Ken Wraight sure is a versatile and skilled turner ain't he.

ribot
19th June 2005, 03:11 PM
What can I say? Yep!