PDA

View Full Version : Wall Cabinet (unplugged)

section1
19th February 2014, 11:49 AM
It stands at 18 1/4" x 12 5/8 x 6 3/4 I built this for my daughter using only hand tools except for the moulding since I only own 1 hollow and 1 round I had to resort to using a router and spent the next 20 mins cleaning up the mess. I put the first coat of Kunos Livos oil I allow that to dry for 24 before putting on 3 more, it should produce a nice sheen if I can get my hands on tried and true I wouldn't mind giving that a go. I also used pine as this was a practice run if my sister likes it I will make one for her but I'll use western red ceder not sure if it will suit it though.

Let me know what you think and where I could make improvements.

the last pic is something I'm trying tto imprint on a metal stamp as signature. That's me in the pic btw

artme
19th February 2014, 03:28 PM
Nice piece and well done.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Might I say though that the screws detract from the workmanship.

Maybe stopped dovetails could have been used for joining top and sides and sides and bottom.

BobR
19th February 2014, 04:30 PM
Like the piece - well done. However, I would have to agree that sliding dovetail joint for top and bottom would have left a cleaner side and contributed more strength to the joint. This is just woodies talking and your daughter will love it.

shanesmith80
19th February 2014, 05:55 PM
Great looking piece, and i like the plugs. Nice contrast.

section1
19th February 2014, 06:34 PM
aha I knew you guys would catch me on the plugs but they're not plugs no screws were used they are dowels or wooden nails as I like to call them and the ends are rabbeted or ship lapped, in this instance they didn't come out as I envisaged in my head because the colours are wrong. I will make two more like this one, one will go for sale and the other will go to charity. One will be dovetailed and the other will have wooden nails. The one with the nails this time I will use maple as my stain and the wooden nail (dowels) will be jappaned black. There is something else I want to try but not sure how I'm going to get a flame going in my workshop but I saw on youtube the japs heating up some metai then scoring the timber with it then wiping off the char with a pollisier. The resuts are just beautiful. I just want to add in a small cabinet like this wooden nails provide plenty of strength even in a large cabinet I made where it's storing many of my tools and books the thing weighs a ton and hasn't come apart yet.

Christos
21st February 2014, 10:04 AM
I like the cabinet very well done.

For plus you might consider to use longer pieces of wood as inlay. For example from one edge towards the middle of cabinet. The variety of height depends on how you want it to look.

section1
21st February 2014, 10:27 AM
I don't understand what you mean

Christos
21st February 2014, 11:04 AM
Better to provide a picture or diagram but at the moment I am on my mobile waiting for a plane.

So here goes.

You can use screws or plugs but when you are done you can cover with a contrasting piece of wood to make it look like a design feature. Or part inlay the piece.

What I was thinking of skyscrapers skyline, just that both sides might need to be the same.

Christos
21st February 2014, 11:06 AM
Or three pieces from each end is all you need to begin with.

section1
21st February 2014, 01:13 PM
ok I got ya now