PDA

View Full Version : Furry Oak I think !

Beesncheese
22nd February 2014, 07:44 PM
A friend brought this small lump of Furry Oak so I made this Sedona pen with a Glow finish, I am a newbie to making pens and I haven't seen this wood before - no google images. Could anyone tell me a bit about it and does it look like Furry Oak, it is a beautiful wood.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/22/ypa7e7e6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TinyTool
22nd February 2014, 08:01 PM
Definitely Hairy Oak you have there. You can Google the name and get all the info you need. Nice pen!

Beesncheese
22nd February 2014, 08:08 PM
Ha ! Lots of pictures under Hairy Oak thank you

Bushmiller
22nd February 2014, 08:42 PM
Beesncheese

Nice pen. I bought some pen turning gear at the last Brissy woodworking show to do just what you have done, but time and projects have prevented that.

Hairy Oak and Bull Oak (sometimes called Buloke) are very difficult to tell apart once they have been separated from the bark. With the bark on the Hairy oak is distinctly hairy like this. Uum.. when I checked the pic and enlarged it there is only one piece of Hairy Oak (second billet from the left) the rest are all Bull Oak :rolleyes::

This is Bull oak:

As you can see, quite similar.

Regards
Paul

MBUMIK
23rd February 2014, 12:19 AM
nice pen, the oaks all have those distinctive different flecks of darker wood through them

i have made pens out of both bull oak and hairy oak and they looked so similar i thought they must have been the same thing but from a different area where the locals gave them a different name

well done and keep them pens coming

all the best

MIK

Treecycle
23rd February 2014, 09:55 AM
You say you are new to pen making, but surely you are not new to turning judging by the quality of that pen.:2tsup: You certainly didn't start at the bottom with a Slimline like most of us.
Keep them coming now that you have given us a taste of what you can do. Welcome to the Forum.:clap2:
Which part of Tassie are you from?

tdrumnut
23rd February 2014, 10:25 AM
Excellent & challenging start for your first pen well done and welcome to the slippery slope.

Beesncheese
23rd February 2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks Paul for the photos definitely is the same. Thanks Mik it's all new to me.Treecycle I did a few Slimlines for Christmas presents and then posted one up in the critic post, and now this. I got a lathe late last year and have been turning dibbers, honey spoons and the odd bowl from wood given to me or from the woodpile ! I have taken over part of my hubby's shed which he is still getting used to..I'm in Southern Tassie near Cygnet. thanks tdrumnut.

Treecycle
24th February 2014, 12:58 PM
I have taken over part of my hubby's shed which he is still getting used to..I'm in Southern Tassie near Cygnet.

Does hubby share the same passion for wood, or are you invading his territory.
Cygnet is a beautiful part of Tassie.

Beesncheese
24th February 2014, 06:23 PM
Treecycle - Hubby is into metal, engineering but appreciates wood so he has his lathes and I have about a two metre square ! It is a lovely part of the world.

Bushmiller
24th February 2014, 08:21 PM
Treecycle - Hubby is into metal, engineering but appreciates wood so he has his lathes and I have about a two metre square ! It is a lovely part of the world.

Beesncheese

Albeit a little small :D. I imagine with so little room even your thinking would have to be performed outside the square :rolleyes:.

Regards
Paul

Beesncheese
24th February 2014, 08:30 PM
Lol !