PDA

View Full Version : VL175 Help with Timber Handbrake Wheel for Lathe

skot
23rd February 2014, 10:42 AM
I have a Vicmarc VL175 and I want to turn a nice bit of timber to attach to the handbrake wheel.

There are 2 options open for me and am seeking some advice from the more experienced. I know I have to remove the handbrake wheel from the lathe to attach the timber through the screw holes in the existing metal handbrake wheel. I have an outboard turning attachment which came with the lathe but I have never tried using it..

This may be a the stupid part of the question and should be up to me for my preference but:

Option 1) Fix the timber to the handbrake wheel and turn it on the outboard side..I have never done outboard turning...are there any tricks, hints or problems to watch out for.

Pros...........No real limit to finished wheel diameter.
Cons..........Never done outboard turning

Option 2) I am hoping that the thread of the handbrake wheel is the same as the thread of the headstock on the inboard side and therefore I can attach it as I normally do to the inboard side and turn it as I am used to doing.

Pros.......Used to inboard turning
Cons......This limits my wheel diameter to approx 350mm diameter but I am thinking this would be of a sufficient max size.

All comments welcome as usual.

pommyphil
23rd February 2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Skot My 175 is RH thread both ends, with a locking collar on the hand wheel.

The four holes in the handwheel are threaded so you could just screw a bigger wheel to the outside.

I seldom use the wheel as a brake, I dont need to save the odd second at the expence of my hands !

I mostly use mine for winding chucks on and off. Cheers Phil

skot
23rd February 2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks Phil...I hadn't realised the holes were threaded...I'll have another look this arvo. UPDATE: Just checked it out, mine isn't threaded so I would need bolts & nuts or remove the wheel and screw from the back

I use it similar to you but thought it would look a bit "spiffy" with a polished timber handbrake wheel.

I may try the outboard method. I have removed the handbrake wheel previously after the floods and had to do some major work on the lathe after it went under but if I can do it without removing to existing wheel..all the better.

jimbur
24th February 2014, 10:50 AM
Just a thought. 350mm is a bit large to my mind as it will stick out a fair bit and really be racing when you're on the faster speeds.
ps if my mental arithmetic is right (can't guarantee it at my age) a 350mm wheel at 2000rpm will have a peripheral speed of around 120kph!

rsser
24th February 2014, 12:24 PM
Yep.
I call it a hand wheel. Don't like the sound of 'brake'.
350 mm diameter would foul the headstock lock captive spanner on mine in any case.

skot
24th February 2014, 01:28 PM
Fair enough...Ill do a smaller one..prob 200mm diameter

chuck1
24th February 2014, 05:03 PM
all my hand wheel/brakes are 150 mm in diameter they are good when applying polish and pre start up spinning of timber to check it's not hitting tool rest etc. I do use mine to slow the lathe when spindle turning balusters but not with bowls and face plate work incase it loosens Chuck or face plate as sudden stopping can unscrew your chuck!
also use it to rotate in reverse when hand sanding.