PDA

View Full Version : Repalcement Router Baseplate

Normanj
23rd February 2014, 03:48 PM
The Black plastic Baseplate on my TRA001 2400W Router is cracked around the scew holes and small pieces have broken away at the edges. I normally use the router in a table and hadn't noticed this.

Can anyone suggest where I can source a replacement, either by mail-order of locally in Sydney.

Thank you.

mdawson
24th February 2014, 06:12 AM
Hi Norman

Carbatec at Auburn are the Triton agents and should be able to get you one, unfortunately you can't ring them directly, the calls go through to the Brisbane head office but they are very helpful.

Alternatively you could make one out of perspex or poly carbonate.

Mark

Normanj
26th February 2014, 07:23 AM
Hi Norman

Carbatec at Auburn are the Triton agents and should be able to get you one, unfortunately you can't ring them directly, the calls go through to the Brisbane head office but they are very helpful.

Alternatively you could make one out of perspex or poly carbonate.

Mark

Many thanks Mark, I'll follow up with Carbatec. As it happens, I've just received a "Universal" baseplate from Carbatec, but Triton is a router it doesn't fit.

I have considered making a baseplate from acrylic or poly-carb as you suggest, but I have no experience of working with these materials and I'm not sure if I would be able to cut/drill it accurately enough.

Thanks again

Norman

mdawson
27th February 2014, 05:41 PM
I have considered making a baseplate from acrylic or poly-carb as you suggest, but I have no experience of working with these materials and I'm not sure if I would be able to cut/drill it accurately enough.

Hi Norman

I've done a little work with these, acrylic makes a bit of a mess but apart from that it's quite easy, here's a couple of links to descriptions of making base plates, these are just 2 that popped up, there are more if you do a search, also if you search this site for acrylic and / or poly carbonate you'll find a lot of people talking about how they work with them.
Warning : don't try and rout perspex with a 1/8" bit in a dremel at full speed, there's nowhere for the heat to go, don't ask me how I know that :doh:

A bearing bit and a speed controlled router will do the job quite nicely. Plastics open up lots of new options.

making-your-own-sub-base-plate (http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bushings-templates/8114-making-your-own-sub-base-plate.html)
new-base-plate (http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bushings-templates/39218-new-base-plate.html)

Mark