PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Resonance

Dion N
10th June 2005, 09:22 PM
I am setting up my new tablesaw and dust collector. When the DC is running with no hose attached, the noise is OK, but once I attach the hose I have a noise problem. :mad: Basically, the sound of the air whistling down the hose grows in intensity until the metal of the DC body starts to resonate and then reaches a steady state. Is this common? What might I do to reduce or prevent it? :confused:

I though that maybe the DC could use some bracing to prevent vibration, but this doesn't appear to make much difference.

Harry72
10th June 2005, 11:20 PM
If its the flat panel area's of metal, glue/silicon some 12mm'ish mdf to it as it will brace it and create more weight(harder to reasonate).
Does putting your hand against the offending metal stop it?

markharrison
11th June 2005, 04:25 PM
If it is truly a resonance problem changing the length of the hose should fix the problem. I somehow doubt that resonance is what is happening here though but I don't have an alternative explanation based on the description.

What sort of DC do you have?

Gumby
11th June 2005, 07:29 PM
What key is it in ?
Maybe you could hum along :)

soundman
11th June 2005, 10:18 PM
The "resonance" is almost certainly to do with the hose.
The hose is corigated. Air flows over the corigations. If the hose is long enough to be resonsont at frequency of the frequency determined by the corigations & the air speed it will drone. The dust extractor is just a sounding board.
Solution.
Shorten the hose, considerably.
Get some better hose that is smoother inside.
You are using proper dust extraction hose? :rolleyes:
Pool filter hose & corigated drainage hose will make awfull noises.
cheers

outback
11th June 2005, 10:57 PM
I just had a thought, hook up some Ag drainage pipe, invite some mates round, and hey presto, an instant organ/baglesspipe/flute/lochnessmonsteraphone

soundman
11th June 2005, 11:46 PM
If you want a real ilustration of the principle.
Take a 1 metre or so length of 20 or 25mm corigated electrical conduit & roll it up in a tight loop.
Put on a set of ear muffs
Blow good & hard in one end.
result ear splitting whistle.
By blowing with differing vigour you should be able to get two or three harmonicaly related notes.
The condiuitaphone

cheers

Dion N
12th June 2005, 08:29 PM
The "resonance" is almost certainly to do with the hose.
The hose is corigated. Air flows over the corigations. If the hose is long enough to be resonsont at frequency of the frequency determined by the corigations & the air speed it will drone. The dust extractor is just a sounding board.
Solution.
Shorten the hose, considerably.
Get some better hose that is smoother inside.
You are using proper dust extraction hose? :rolleyes:
Pool filter hose & corigated drainage hose will make awfull noises.
cheers

I thought I'd save a few dollars by using corrigated drainage hose. I have now changed to proper dust hose and the noise has stopped. :D