PDA

View Full Version : Timber in Adelaide region

bunzo
10th June 2005, 10:04 PM
Howdy, I,m new here and want to find good timber for forms for a metal spinning lathe. Also am after some wood for slapping hammers and mallets. I've been told maple for the latter and lignum vitae for the forms.Where can I get some in south oz? also looking for a hardwood stump to make a hollowing block.Thanks for the help.

barryr
10th June 2005, 10:34 PM
Howdy, I,m new here and want to find good timber for forms for a metal spinning lathe. Also am after some wood for slapping hammers and mallets. I've been told maple for the latter and lignum vitae for the forms.Where can I get some in south oz? also looking for a hardwood stump to make a hollowing block.Thanks for the help.
Maple from Australian Timbers (Stepney or Gilman) , good for handles or turning , Lignum Vitae - I know there's an Aussie wood by that name but I get the real stuff from here http://www.bellforestproducts.com/ - unfortunately it's in Michigan . Trend timbers (Sydney) advertise it but never returned my emails.
Mik international has all the woodwork tools you'll need but they also have turning blanks of Aussie woods , not sure what , they're on Magill Rd too.
oh , and Otto's on Magill Rd , all sorts of stuff except what I wanted :rolleyes:

There's a start from you -

Bazz

bunzo
11th June 2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks Bazz, That will get me started anyhow.

himzol
11th June 2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Bunzo,

Wellcome to the forum, Is there a reason it has to be in South Oz.
The reason I ask is that being from Mt Gambier you shouldn't write of the other side of the border. Some of the people there are actually quite friendly and they do have some pretty good timbers. It may be closer than Adelaide as well.
Also in this day and age it's not impossible to get tools from anywhere in Oz, so shop around and get the best deal for yourself.

One more thing if you can afford to wait for about a month then you can get to the WWW show in Adelaide and you may be able to get some good advice in one location.

Himzo.

bunzo
12th June 2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks himzol,
The reason I was looking to Adelaide is Ive got a brother up there and it was easy to get up there and spend some time. What is this wood show? I,m new to this wood thing in general (sheetmetal fabricator) but the way my business is heading timberwork will become a reasonably important part of it. Ive got a lot to learn.

barryr
12th June 2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks himzol,
The reason I was looking to Adelaide is Ive got a brother up there and it was easy to get up there and spend some time. What is this wood show? I,m new to this wood thing in general (sheetmetal fabricator) but the way my business is heading timberwork will become a reasonably important part of it. Ive got a lot to learn.
The working with wood show http://workingwithwood.com/adelaide/index.htm

should be able to pick up some good timbers although from what people are saying about some of the exhibitors the prices can be a bit over the top !

himzol
13th June 2005, 08:11 PM
No worries Bunzo,

As for the WWW show, Barry has already answered the question. As he says the prices of the timber are generaly over the top but the advice is always good.

Once you know the type of timber you need then try some of the salvage yards, it may mean a bit more elbow grease but it's generally well seasoned timber.

Anyway good luck with your projects.