PDA

View Full Version : Mark Sanger's new book

dr4g0nfly
25th February 2014, 07:07 AM
Hi Folks,

Mark is a sometime contributor to this forum (or he used to be), anyway he has just had a book published, the link is to the Amazon UK site, I'm sure someone will add the Amazon Aus page.

I also note that someone posted a piece base on his work a few weeks ago so as a turner I'm sure he's known to you all.

Then again for £5 plus postage, maybe it's worth ordering from one of the UK sites selling it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turning-Hollow-Forms-Techniques-Projects/dp/162710027X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381901250&sr=8-1&keywords=turning+hollow+forms

Disclaimer: This is not a paid product review or advertisement.
I have no association with Mark commercially or Financially (I do know him however) but I also already own a copy of his book.

elderly
25th February 2014, 02:35 PM
Available from the book depository. Twenty six dollars, free delivery.
Five pounds for a book just published you have to wonder why it is so cheap.
Cheers Frank.

Sturdee
25th February 2014, 06:16 PM
This is not a paid product review or advertisement.
I have no association with Mark commercially or Financially (I do know him however) but I also already own a copy of his book.

The Book Depository lists two versions (http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=Turning+Hollow+Forms%3A+Techniques+and+Projects&search=Find+book), one published by Taunton Press and the other by the Guild of Master Craftsman Publications Ltd.

Which version do you have and do you know what the difference is between the two. Often measurements are different for the US being in decimal inches.:((

Peter.

elderly
25th February 2014, 09:48 PM
Peter only one of the books are by Mark Sanger. Although they both have the same title they have different sub titles.
Cheers Frank.

Big Shed
25th February 2014, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing they are one and the same book, Mark Sanger is a UK based wood turner. Therefore the original would have been published by The Guild of Master Craftsmen in the UK (6/2/14) and then Taunton in the US publishes it (4/3/14) for the US market, with a slightly different cover.

I have been caught by this practice before with the Harold Hall books on metal working, in that case they even changed the title as well as the front cover! I finished up with 2 books with identical content with a different cover and title on one.:~

I am guessing this is now occurring as The Book Depository-UK is now owned by Amazon in the US.

elderly
25th February 2014, 10:01 PM
The other book is by Betty Drinon.
Cheers Frank.

Sturdee
25th February 2014, 10:06 PM
Peter only one of the books are by Mark Sanger. Although they both have the same title they have different sub titles.
Cheers Frank.

I'm not convinced that they are different.

The picture on both show the subtitle "First steps - techniques and projects " by Mark Sanger and the detailed Bibliographic data refers to Mark as well. The GMC book has the author being Becky Drinan who is a professional dressmaker so I think the Book Depository made a mistake re the author.

Peter.

Big Shed
25th February 2014, 10:09 PM
Cheers Frank.

If you click on the image of the "Becky Drinan" book the author is quite clearly shown as Mark Sanger, same as on the other one.

elderly
25th February 2014, 10:13 PM
I have just had another look and it seems they are the same. The description of the contents are identical. They have two books by her the other one is how to make the perfect wedding dress
Cheers Frank.

elderly
25th February 2014, 10:20 PM
You are correct Fred and Peter I have just read a discussion on another forum in which Mark was involved. On e version for the British market one for the American.
Cheers Frank.

Big Shed
25th February 2014, 10:41 PM
Interesting to see that for the US version Taunton selected a hollow form turned from spalted timber.

dr4g0nfly
25th February 2014, 10:53 PM
According to Mark there is only one version of his book. Some sites are advertising a 'Collectors Edition' - there is no such version.The low price does not affect his royalties, somehow Amazon sell them very cheaply to start with and then raise the price to near the recommended price. However he recommends that we (so far the UK turners) take full advantage of the low price and many of us have done just that.As for the content, as you'd expect, H&S, Workshop, Equipment, Tools, Wood - selection and understanding, techniques, projects etc.. But all written in his easy to understand style that enables people new to hollowing to learn from his methods and achive the desired end product.

Big Shed
25th February 2014, 10:59 PM
Your link in post #1 to Amazon-UK shows that it is currently unavailable.

dr4g0nfly
26th February 2014, 08:46 AM
Hmmm, It wasn't earlier - looks like it's been bought out - or the demand has made them rethink the price, I know us UK types have been hitting it pretty hard.

elderly
26th February 2014, 01:28 PM
There are two versions of the book . On the AWGB Forum Mark says, the other version at £15 is the one printed for the american market so the spelling is different.
Cheers Frank.