PDA

View Full Version : Add valve to stainless steel pot

Tiger
25th February 2014, 01:36 PM
I need to add a ball valve to a big stainless steel pot. Just a little unsure how to connect it so that's it's leak proof after I've made a hole in the pot.

rob streeper
25th February 2014, 02:50 PM
Best way: Take your pot to a restaurant supply/repair/fabrication place and have them (or DIY) weld on a stainless pipe nipple that will fit to your ball valve.

Second best way: Use a marine grade thru hull fitting such as: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainless-Threaded-Thru-Hull-Fitting-1-2-/271407468892?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f3125515c&vxp=mtr and add your ball valve.

Cheers,
Rob

Tiger
25th February 2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks Rob, got a ball-valve already so just need a pipe nipple, couldn't you just solder/braze the nipple rather than weld it on and what is going to make it leak proof?

Vernonv
25th February 2014, 05:03 PM
You could probably silver solder it, however I don't have any experience with silver soldering stainless (but plenty with brass, copper and mild steel).

I wouldn't use a lead based solder if you can help it.

code4pay
25th February 2014, 05:20 PM
For my brewing pot I just got a threaded piece of pipe two nuts and washers (heat proof). Nut on the inside nut on the outside, never leaked in 5 plus years of brewings

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

rob streeper
25th February 2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks Rob, got a ball-valve already so just need a pipe nipple, couldn't you just solder/braze the nipple rather than weld it on and what is going to make it leak proof?

Here is some info. My experience is that stainless is particularly difficult to braze. TIG welding on a small nipple shouldn't be very expensive and silver solder is expensive too. If you get thicker washers the thru hull fitting will be cheapest.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.6/palmer.html

Tiger
26th February 2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks gentlemen, Code I particularly like your solution, nice and easy. The heat-proof washers are they easily available, I haven't heard of them.

code4pay
26th February 2014, 09:05 PM
They are like a stiff thin cardboard material. Pretty sure I just got them where I got the tap, pretty common.

Tiger
27th February 2014, 12:30 PM
They are like a stiff thin cardboard material. Pretty sure I just got them where I got the tap, pretty common.

Thanks for clearing that up, will check out Bunnies/Reeces.