PDA

View Full Version : Video on sharpening bowl gouges

Mobyturns
26th February 2014, 10:59 PM
Woodturners of Southwest Missouri recently hosted and videoed a demo by Doug Thompson on sharpening mainly bowl gouges and scrapers. Doug offers pretty good down to earth advice on sharpening, the basics of steels, why some steels perform better/longer, the how/why bowl gouges cut, why the nose angle was chosen, flute shapes, why various grinds perform and some of the pitfalls of grinding errors. I use a basic Abbott & Ashby grinder for shaping and a Tormek for sharpening & honing. Doug’s demo confirms what I have already learned but still a great refresher. Most importantly he discusses how to set up a Varigrind style jig which is basically what most turners use in some form.

Definitely not a tool plug by Doug or an in-depth discussion on the merits of particular steels/grinds/flute shapes, just the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOc6giDP39A runs about 65 mins.

tea lady
27th February 2014, 09:49 AM
Ah. Will have a look at that later when I have time.:D

Richard Hodsdon
28th February 2014, 02:34 AM
Great find, he makes it look as simple as it is. Should be compulsory viewing for all turners.

robo hippy
28th February 2014, 08:10 AM
I just came over to this forum to post the link to it. I think it is a great sharpening clip. Most beginners don't really have the concept of what the nose of the gouge should look like.

robo hippy

NeilS
28th February 2014, 08:50 PM
A good watch....:2tsup:

Doug at his no-nonsense best...:D

A very clear expo on tool steels and treatments.

1st saw that edge profile method by Gerry Glaser, way back when, and nicely demonstrated in this video by Doug.

I thunk I might've seen that Robo Rest somewhere before....:D