PDA

View Full Version : Mallets and chisels

routermaniac
11th June 2005, 07:59 PM
Hey guys, these are a few things I made over the hast few days for stress relief... currently studying for exams and slowly going mad, that may explain the ridiculously large mallet :) .

The chisel blades I picked up from the sunday market at about one dollar each, the socket chisel is a Titan 1 1/2 inch bevel chisel and is an absolute joy to use. The other chisel is a heavy 1 1/2 inch English framing chisel which was heavily pitted but will be ok for rough jobs. As you can see from the handle I made for it I intend to bash the #@$! out of it :D .

The handles were made on my crappy GMC lathe using Aussie hardwood offcuts.

Now moving on to the mallets, the smallest one will be used for setting the blades on my Muji handplanes (similar to the HNT Gordon in size). The next size up is for light chisel work, the size after that is roughly the same as an average woodworking mallet.

The biggest mallet was made for a joke, I have appropriately called it "Arnie", it is for some serious bashing (you can tell Im stressed cant you????) :) The head is laminated and measures 105x65x205mm with a 560 mm handle (also hardwood).

Apart from cutting the heads of the mallets, no power tools were used. The handles were shaped with my trusty spokeshaves and my muji and the wood finished off with a scraper and steel wool.

All items were finished with several coats of boiled linseed oil and are very easy on the hands.

I think I might just make one more mallet intermediate in size between the monster and the standard mallet... just for the sake of completeness.

routermaniac
11th June 2005, 08:01 PM
some more pics...

routermaniac
11th June 2005, 08:02 PM
and a few more...

violincrafter
11th June 2005, 08:41 PM
Very nice work Mr Roto! Looks excellent! I like them!

These make a nice addition to any craftsmans tool box. :)

ps Whats wrong with the GMC lathe? :confused:

Pat
11th June 2005, 10:43 PM
Router, silly question time, did you make the hole for the handle before you laminated the head? I ask this as I recently attempted to fashion a mallet head out of a lump of scrap Ironbark, but when it came to making the hole the side cracked. I was using my 1' mortice chisel and a lump hammer . . . after boring a guide hole with a 1/2' augur bit. I know, use an easier wood, but it's what I have at hand.

By the way, is "Arnie" the thief deterent for your playpen? :D The rest look good too!

routermaniac
11th June 2005, 11:07 PM
Pat, I drilled the holes and cleaned up the mortice after laminating. I marked the mortice and used a brace with a small bit to make multiple holes and I drilled to about 1/2 way through. I then marked a mortice on the bottom that was 1mm narrower on two of the sides, then drilled to these limits.

This left me with one ugly set of holes that I cleaned up slowly with a corner chisel and my trusty titans. Also because of the way I marked the mortice I was able to clean up leaving me with two sloping sides on the mortice which allows the handle to stay in very tightly. (the shape of the handle is complementary to the mortice and you end up with a wedge effect).

regards

Marios

routermaniac
11th June 2005, 11:11 PM
ps Whats wrong with the GMC lathe? :confused:
Its cheap and nasty but it works for what I'm using it for :)

Sturdee
12th June 2005, 01:11 PM
Nice work, I thought my 2 mallets were enough but maybe a really big one would come in handy.

Peter.

Woodlice
13th June 2005, 02:38 AM
Geez, how comfy do those chisels look!

violincrafter
13th June 2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Mr Router M,
Just did a avatar that you might like! Not sure if you do!

But anyway just fiddling with some software!

Heres the avatar:- ;) Hope this works. Its 80X80 pixels and is within Woodforums spec's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/stevensho/router.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/stevensho/router1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/stevensho/router2.gif

Cheers

Violincrafter :)

routermaniac
13th June 2005, 09:07 PM
hey you must be good at this computer thing, I dont think I could have done that :-) I'll be using one of them, thanks!

cheers

Marios