PDA

View Full Version : Nail stains in cypress pine

bobglen
16th December 1999, 09:48 PM
Hi
I am reusing some cypress pine to make a chair and am faced with problem stains from where I pulled nails. The stains are black in colour with some radiating out from the nail holes as the timber has been out in the weather for a while.

------------------
bowie

Shane Watson
17th December 1999, 11:01 AM
Hi

You don't really ask any questions in your post, but I assume you want to know if they can be removed????? Might pay to let us know exactly what you want to know...

But in my humble opion, those stains left from the nails oxidising are part of why so many people love the look of recycled timber! Use them as a feature, otherwise I would suggest using new timber.

Cheers
Shane...

Rod Smith
17th December 1999, 05:32 PM
HiBowie. Oxalic acid is the stuff you need, available at chemical supply companies. You have to mix it, I can't remember the proportions, ask when you buy. Also hardware stores I believe sell wood revivers and cleaners that contain oxalic acid, might work to. From memory (it was a long time ago) the oxalic mix gets rid of nail stains like magic, doesn't affect the surrounding wood. Perhaps do a test piece though eh. see ya, Rod

------------------

ubeaut
19th December 1999, 12:04 AM
Mix the oxalic acid with just boiled water until you obtain a saturate (ie: no more of the crystals will disolve in the water) Use the mix hot for deeper penetration. Wait till the desired colour is obtained then neutralise with vinegar. It may fade some of the surrounding timber and may not completely eradicate the grey but it will definately fade it dramatically, or at least to the point where a stain will match in the rest of the timber.

It should be available from hardware and some of the better paint shops as well as your local chemist. DO NOT INHALE THE HOT FUMES!!! USE IN A WELL VENTELATED AREA OR OUT SIDE AND WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!!!

Oxalic acid is toxic, but will not harm shin if washed off immediately.

Cheers
Neil

Rod Smith
19th December 1999, 08:58 AM
Onya Neil. I'll file that info for future reference. See ya.. Rod

------------------