PDA

View Full Version : recommend VFD for 1hp motor

thorens
5th March 2014, 10:27 AM
good day Guys.
which one can I get for the 1hp motor ? I need one for my Hardinge DV-59 ,
any one using one that they think it is good for recommend ?
thanks
Peter

BobL
5th March 2014, 03:41 PM
Firstly I assume the motor you have is three phase and able to be wired in ∆ mode?

Lots of folks on this forum are using Huanyang VFDs. Do a search for them on ebay.
They are cheap but seem to be lasting well enough.

One thing you need to think about is Are you going to install it yourself?
If not the sparky you hire may not like our recommendation so I would work closely with him/her.

thorens
5th March 2014, 09:58 PM
Firstly I assume the motor you have is three phase and able to be wired in ∆ mode?

Lots of folks on this forum are using Huanyang VFDs. Do a search for them on ebay.
They are cheap but seem to be lasting well enough.

One thing you need to think about is Are you going to install it yourself?
If not the sparky you hire may not like our recommendation so I would work closely with him/her.

Good Day.
yes it is 3 phase but i'm not sure if it can e wired for delta or not as Ii haven't receive it just yet.
i'm going to install it my self so i should be free to choose whatever i get recommended .i have seen guy talk about the Huanyang VFDs here before but not sure of they details.
I will have a look at them on ebay.
Thanks
Peter

RayG
5th March 2014, 10:42 PM
As Bob said there are plenty of Huanyang drives in use by forum members, and they are excellent value for what they do.

OTOH If you want to spend more money and go up-market a little, try to get a 0.75kW drive that has sensorless vector control.

That will give you more torque in the lower speeds.

Ray

azzrock
6th March 2014, 06:47 AM
hi peter. nice looking lathe mate. Im thinking a 2.2kw vfd.
Huanyang would be a good place to start. there cheap.
Ive blown one up but in general they seem to be ok.
aaron

.RC.
6th March 2014, 07:40 AM
The setup might be a bit more complicated...

The motor on the DV-59 is a two speed motor, also there is another small motor to drive the speed control...

I have a DV-59 here, can take some pics if you want....

azzrock
6th March 2014, 11:11 AM

The motor on the DV-59 is a two speed motor, also there is another small motor to drive the speed control...

similur dramas to my deckel. Rc do you know what rpm the two speeds are?
Maybe peter you could swap the motor out for a motor with a little more grunt
so the loss of torque with the vfd a lower speeds wont effect you.

thorens
6th March 2014, 11:36 AM

HI RC.
yes it is two speeds motor ( low and high ) . have you run your 3 phase or have you done the VFD to it ? please post some pictures if you can.

@ Arron .
yes I was thinking about changing the motor but these Hardinge lathe have very high speeds and i don't think we can find those motor easy here .

Thanks
Peter

azzrock
6th March 2014, 11:49 AM
HI RC.
yes it is two speeds motor ( low and high ) . have you run your 3 phase or have you done the VFD to it ? please post some pictures if you can.

@ Arron .
yes I was thinking about changing the motor but these Hardinge lathe have very high speeds and i don't think we can find those motor easy here .

Thanks
Peter

i see. don't you all ready have a small high speed motor.
Is there top speed 3000prm? I think you should be able to
find something suitable

.RC.
10th March 2014, 03:57 PM
Pics...

I also forgot about the electromagnetic brake the DV59 has....

Anyway... Looking at mine the small electric motor that controls the speed through the variable speed drive is 220/440v capable..

But the main motor is 415V only... Two speed 4 pole, 6 pole motor.. 3/4 then 3/8 hp.. got pic of the tag that was not on the motor but came in the box of goodies that was with the lathe..

Mine has been stuffed around with and some person replaced the variable speed belts and pulleys with A section belts... I can repair it to original, but do not know the size of the top variable speed belt... A chap in NZ has a spare belt he bought for a HLV-H but was actually a DV59 belt that he says he will sell me, but that was six months ago and he sends me a message every two months saying he will get onto it, but he never does... So I am none the wiser what size the top belt is, even the people in the US have no idea...

thorens
10th March 2014, 04:50 PM
Pics...

I also forgot about the electromagnetic brake the DV59 has....

Anyway... Looking at mine the small electric motor that controls the speed through the variable speed drive is 220/440v capable..

But the main motor is 415V only... Two speed 4 pole, 6 pole motor.. 3/4 then 3/8 hp.. got pic of the tag that was not on the motor but came in the box of goodies that was with the lathe..

Mine has been stuffed around with and some person replaced the variable speed belts and pulleys with A section belts... I can repair it to original, but do not know the size of the top variable speed belt... A chap in NZ has a spare belt he bought for a HLV-H but was actually a DV59 belt that he says he will sell me, but that was six months ago and he sends me a message every two months saying he will get onto it, but he never does... So I am none the wiser what size the top belt is, even the people in the US have no idea...

Thanks RC.
look like VFD is out for this lathe then .what other possiblity can I do to run this lathe off the 240v you think?
Peter

Ueee
10th March 2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks RC.
look like VFD is out for this lathe then .what other possiblity can I do to run this lathe off the 240v you think?
Peter

Depends on your budget but a proper vector VFD and a decent quality 3 phase motor would work. The best would be a good quality DC motor and drive would give you the best torque and smoothness over a high speed range. "proper" TEFC DC motors are not cheap though.

Ew

Stustoys
10th March 2014, 05:00 PM
There is always the 240V single to 415V 3 phase VSD option.

Stuart

RayG
10th March 2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks RC.
Peter

You could forget the VFD idea altogether, and run a 240 to 415 rotary phase converter.

Ray

thorens
10th March 2014, 05:56 PM
You could forget the VFD idea altogether, and run a 240 to 415 rotary phase converter.

Ray

thanks guys.
is this one expensive ? where can i get one ?
Peter

RayG
10th March 2014, 07:27 PM
thanks guys.
is this one expensive ? where can i get one ?
Peter

Hi Peter, no idea on price, probably cheaper than getting 3 phase connected, but dearer than doing a VFD conversion.

http://www.tortech.com.au/3-three-phase-converter-transormer/single-to-3-phase-converter/3hp-motor-22kw-complete-single-to-3-phase-converter-part-no-mmt22

Ray

Stustoys
10th March 2014, 07:52 PM
no idea on price
I dont recall seeing one for less than $1500+, most I've seen don't have a price online.

Here's one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-to-three-phase-converter240V-to-415V-3HP-2-2KW-Complete-and-Ready-/251157100769?_trksid=p2054897.l4276#ht_1361wt_1000

The fail-proof thyristor devices are "extreemly reliable"....I'm going to have to look up the meaning of "fail-proof" hehe

Stuart

thorens
10th March 2014, 08:00 PM
I dont recall seeing one for less than $1500+, most I've seen don't have a price online.

Here's one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-to-three-phase-converter240V-to-415V-3HP-2-2KW-Complete-and-Ready-/251157100769?_trksid=p2054897.l4276#ht_1361wt_1000

The fail-proof thyristor devices are "extreemly reliable"....I'm going to have to look up the meaning of "fail-proof" hehe

Stuart

Thanks Ray and Stuat.
a bit too rich for my blood :)
a quick search showing one used from QLD but it still over a grand ,
any other way ? may be best to change the motor ? cheaper .
Peter

RayG
10th March 2014, 08:02 PM
You could always build your own RPC .. a few people on here have done it, and I'm sure there are notes on the internet on how to go about it.

Ray

Stustoys
10th March 2014, 08:20 PM
$525 make you feel any happier?(save about $50 if you buy direct from their site..... to pay for postage. save 20% more if you can talk him out of charging VAT)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-HP-DIGITAL-240V-415V-3-PHASE-INVERTER-CONVERTER-LATHE-MILL-DRILL-/150847496168?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item231f361fe8

For $11 this is a good read (even if it only talks you out of making one............and even better read if it talks you into making one)

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=three-phase+conversion&search=Find+book

Stuart

.RC.
10th March 2014, 10:54 PM
Can you feed a VFD 415V single phase?

Say you have a 240-415V transformer...

Can a VFD run more then one motor at the same time?

thorens
10th March 2014, 11:04 PM

I was thinking about step up transformer as well but they not cheap either .

Peter

Stustoys
10th March 2014, 11:38 PM
As I understand it thats exactly what the drives direct 240-415V VSD does. Using a voltage doubler infront of a 415V VSD. Either de-rating the VSD or modify the rectifier.

You mean in the same way as a rotary phase converter?
Then "mostly" no, though there are VSDs that can.

The "mostly" part. Drives direct say you can turn the coolant pump on and off as you please. I'm yet to try that out.

Stuart

RayG
11th March 2014, 12:02 AM

Yes, you could feed a 240 to 415 step up transformer and feed single phase to the vfd, some 415 3 phase input vfd's will alarm on missing phases, but some are ok.
I know that Danfoss has a drive that takes 480 single phase input. For a vfd that normally expects 3 phases in, and you only have one, you have to de-rate the vfd accordingly.

Depends on the vfd, a simple V/F vfd can run multiple motors at once, not desirable but it works fine. I run the Hydraulics pump and the coolant pump off one vfd.

Ray

.RC.
11th March 2014, 08:21 AM
Some CIG stick welders the transformer in them can take inputs of 240-415-480V... It is possible to feed 240 in and get 415 out... Usually these welders sell cheap...

I do not know how the cheap common VFD would go, whether you can run the two motors off the one drive plus also have the one motor still be dual speed capable...

I know in the setup you have to specify the number of poles, but that could just be so the speed indicator on the VFD shows the correct motor speed..

Theberylbloke
11th March 2014, 09:56 PM
Hello,

Ok so you have a 415 volt three phase motor. It is not able to be have the windings reconfigured to run on 240 volt 3 phase. You only have a single phase supply to run it from...

1) Three phase 240 volt motors are available, see your local industrial sparky. If you want to keep your machine (Hardinge) somewhat original you can source the appropriately rated motor from the USA as some parts of the USA run 220 volt three phase. The freight cost will likely be $400 to $500 and a Hardinge motor $200 to $300. You can find generic 1.5 h.p. 220 Volt motors on Ebay.com for around $200. You will require a VFD to get 3 phases at 240 Volts phase to phase. Total cost around $1k. You should use a licensed electrician for the motor install.

2) Rotary phase converters are not cheap, tend to not have well balanced outputs which are also not 120 degrees apart. They will work. You should use a licensed sparky for the installation of the phase converter for legal and warranty reasons. You could build your own if you know enough about electrical stuff. In the example of a high quality lathe, I wonder if the lack of electrical balance etc would adversely affect the surface finish due to extra vibrations in the drive system???

3a) It maybe possible to use a VFD to give you 3 phases at 240 volts phase to phase then a transformer to step this up. There are, or were, two 415 volt to 200 volt three phase transformers on ebay.com.au from an Adelaide vendor a few weeks ago. Set your VFD to give 200 volts max output and feed this into the secondary side of the transformers. This may or may not work as it depends how well the transformers handle the output of the VFD. If the VFD has a good sine wave output, all should be well. No guarantees as I have not tried this, tempted as I was. The freight cost of the transformers killed it for me. You would want to check that the transformers are suitable as it was hard to tell from the vendors description. Expect to spend $1k or so.

3b) Obtain 3 x 240/240 volt isolating transformers wire one side in delta and the second side in star. That will give you 415 volts. Untried theory as per 3a above.

4) As per RC's suggestion obtain an old CIG welder and run it from 240 volts. Tap off the 415 volts to run a 415 volt VFD. Note this will be only one phase and you will need to find a VFD (de)rated for this as per RayG above. You can also use this as a stick welder should you wish. Somone, somewhere has probably tried this. Until you hear from them, I'd suggest this is theoretical as well

(it occurs to me at this point that it's just as well we all have really big sheds and lots of room for all these boxes!!!)

5) Obtain 2 x 240/240 volt isolating transformers. Wire them with one having reversed polarity compared to the other so that the outputs can be summed to be 480 Volts and feed this into your 480 volt VFD as per 3b above. Another untried theory!

6) Pay very large sums of money and have three phase connected to your property. Cost involved will be proportional to your distance from the last 3 phase supply of your distributors network.

7) Use a voltage doubling circuit on the input side of your VFD. You maybe able to buy such a device off the shelf, I'm thinking it will be expensive as China & Co. aren't selling these by the millions. If you know some electronics you could build your own. A course of action for the knowledgeable and brave!

In summary option 1 is probably the most elegent. It's also the least fun! Option 6 will be the most expensive but will be very satisfactory. It will be helpful to have a tame sparky in all situations.

Choose your poison carefully.

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

thorens
11th March 2014, 10:50 PM
Hello,

Ok so you have a 415 volt three phase motor. It is not able to be have the windings reconfigured to run on 240 volt 3 phase. You only have a single phase supply to run it from...

1) Three phase 240 volt motors are available, see your local industrial sparky. If you want to keep your machine (Hardinge) somewhat original you can source the appropriately rated motor from the USA as some parts of the USA run 220 volt three phase. The freight cost will likely be $400 to $500 and a Hardinge motor $200 to $300. You can find generic 1.5 h.p. 220 Volt motors on Ebay.com for around $200. You will require a VFD to get 3 phases at 240 Volts phase to phase. Total cost around $1k. You should use a licensed electrician for the motor install.

2) Rotary phase converters are not cheap, tend to not have well balanced outputs which are also not 120 degrees apart. They will work. You should use a licensed sparky for the installation of the phase converter for legal and warranty reasons. You could build your own if you know enough about electrical stuff. In the example of a high quality lathe, I wonder if the lack of electrical balance etc would adversely affect the surface finish due to extra vibrations in the drive system???

3a) It maybe possible to use a VFD to give you 3 phases at 240 volts phase to phase then a transformer to step this up. There are, or were, two 415 volt to 200 volt three phase transformers on ebay.com.au from an Adelaide vendor a few weeks ago. Set your VFD to give 200 volts max output and feed this into the secondary side of the transformers. This may or may not work as it depends how well the transformers handle the output of the VFD. If the VFD has a good sine wave output, all should be well. No guarantees as I have not tried this, tempted as I was. The freight cost of the transformers killed it for me. You would want to check that the transformers are suitable as it was hard to tell from the vendors description. Expect to spend $1k or so.

3b) Obtain 3 x 240/240 volt isolating transformers wire one side in delta and the second side in star. That will give you 415 volts. Untried theory as per 3a above.

4) As per RC's suggestion obtain an old CIG welder and run it from 240 volts. Tap off the 415 volts to run a 415 volt VFD. Note this will be only one phase and you will need to find a VFD (de)rated for this as per RayG above. You can also use this as a stick welder should you wish. Somone, somewhere has probably tried this. Until you hear from them, I'd suggest this is theoretical as well

(it occurs to me at this point that it's just as well we all have really big sheds and lots of room for all these boxes!!!)

5) Obtain 2 x 240/240 volt isolating transformers. Wire them with one having reversed polarity compared to the other so that the outputs can be summed to be 480 Volts and feed this into your 480 volt VFD as per 3b above. Another untried theory!

6) Pay very large sums of money and have three phase connected to your property. Cost involved will be proportional to your distance from the last 3 phase supply of your distributors network.

7) Use a voltage doubling circuit on the input side of your VFD. You maybe able to buy such a device off the shelf, I'm thinking it will be expensive as China & Co. aren't selling these by the millions. If you know some electronics you could build your own. A course of action for the knowledgeable and brave!

In summary option 1 is probably the most elegent. It's also the least fun! Option 6 will be the most expensive but will be very satisfactory. It will be helpful to have a tame sparky in all situations.

Choose your poison carefully.

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

after read all the above mentioned option. i think this should be a good answer :B.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HP-DIGITAL-240V-415V-3-PHASE-INVERTER-CONVERTER-LATHE-MILL-DRILL-/380857902371?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item58ace66523

what you reckon ?

Peter

BobL
11th March 2014, 11:29 PM
Looks like a goer to me. :2tsup:

It also says it can handle the dual speed mottos.
I wonder if you have to turn off the VFD to switch to the other motors speed.
Maybe you just have to make sure the VDF is not delivering power when switching - if so you may need a bit of control circuitry to prevent that happening.
If it doesn't say that anywhere in the destructions I would make sure you clarify this before installing/

RayG
11th March 2014, 11:37 PM
There are a couple of those on the forum. Stuart has one, so he could comment further. Ken has another, I recall he had trouble getting them to not charge VAT or something..

They remove the filtering to make room for the voltage doubler, so I suspect they aren't c-tick approved.

Underneath, they are a TECO drive, that Drives Direct buy from TECO and modify them.

Ray

Stustoys
11th March 2014, 11:40 PM
I wonder if you have to turn off the VFD to switch to the other motors speed.

You mean the 240V input? Then NO

Maybe you just have to make sure the VDF is not delivering power when switching .
Yes. But you also dont really want to turn the VSD back on until the motor has stopped as the TECO doesnt have a "catch up" start option(if I recall correctly and if if hasnt been added)

if so you may need a bit of control circuitry to prevent that happening.
It could be done simply enough(well at least with coasting stop and forgetting the point above about not turning the VSD back on before the motor stops turning), but how many of us that circuitry to prevent us changing gearbox speed while the motor is on?

Stuart

PDW
12th March 2014, 08:58 AM

I've always picked this option. Cost has ranged from less than $500 in a suburban location to $8800 where I currently live - 200m of cable, 2 new poles plus my share of the upgraded transformer.

The attraction of grid supplied 3 phase power increases in line with the number and HP of the equipment you own. And vice versa....

PDW

Oldneweng
12th March 2014, 05:34 PM
I've always picked this option. Cost has ranged from less than $500 in a suburban location to $8800 where I currently live - 200m of cable, 2 new poles plus my share of the upgraded transformer.

The attraction of grid supplied 3 phase power increases in line with the number and HP of the equipment you own. And vice versa....

PDW

I wonder how much 4500m would cost! :rolleyes: Then you do have that 25hp jobbie. Pushing it to run it on single phase.

Dean

Theberylbloke
12th March 2014, 10:10 PM
Hi Peter,

"after read all the above mentioned option. i think this should be a good answer :B.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HP-DIGIT...item58ace66523 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HP-DIGITAL-240V-415V-3-PHASE-INVERTER-CONVERTER-LATHE-MILL-DRILL-/380857902371?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item58ace66523)

what you reckon ?"

That would be one of my two choices. And likely the cheapest.

The other being a 240V three phase motor and VFD. I am seriously thinking down this way as my Hardinge mill has the 2 speed 3/4 h.p. or 3/8 h.p. the same as your lathe and I figure a little more grunt could be handy. The other advantage of a modern motor is that they are usually more energy efficient due to legislated requirements.

Ideally I would do the mains upgrade to 3 phase. The high voltage 3 phase is nearly 1km away, a transformer upgrade and 70 metres of low voltage cable to be upgraded. I shudder at the cost. The bloke who recently became my boss has the last three phase transformer on my line. He paid for the upgrade of the transformer and one span of high voltage plus the 75 metres of low voltage. He mutters about the $25k cost from time to time. In other states people who later connect to your upgraded transformer have to make a contribution to the cost which is then repaid to whoever originally paid for the upgrade. Not here, though.

25hp on single phase???? I think not. :no: The quoted starting current for a 4kw single phase motor is around 120 to 130 amps.

PDW - I fully agree with you. There comes a point where there is almost no other option. I'd really like a short bed Dean Smith & Grace type 17 lathe. With a 7.5 h.p. 3 phase motor??? I'm just dreaming, won't happen on single phase short of adding a lot more solar to the roof, some serious battery storage and inverters. Would not be cheap! Guess that could be option 8) :U

Cheers

Th Beryl Bloke

PDW
13th March 2014, 08:54 AM
25hp on single phase???? I think not. :no: The quoted starting current for a 4kw single phase motor is around 120 to 130 amps.

PDW - I fully agree with you. There comes a point where there is almost no other option. I'd really like a short bed Dean Smith & Grace type 17 lathe. With a 7.5 h.p. 3 phase motor??? I'm just dreaming, won't happen on single phase short of adding a lot more solar to the roof, some serious battery storage and inverters. Would not be cheap! Guess that could be option 8) :U

Cheers

Th Beryl Bloke

If I hadn't had 3 phase I never would have bought a 25HP air compressor, I'd have bought a diesel engine driven one instead. Which probably would have been a better choice in hindsight anyway. 120 cfm isn't enough for serious blasting and is overkill for just about anything else.

My family country place in NSW has no grid connection as 30 years ago they wanted a ton of money. No power tools up there unless they can run off of a small gen set.

I'm currently looking for a 3 to 5 kVa 4 pole (2 pole if I must) generator/alternator head, one with 2 bearings for belt drive or similar, not a bolt-up single bearing unit. Seen nothing in my price range so far (cheap). I already have a couple spare Lister air cooled diesel engines. I'd like a standby generator for here after the last 3 day power outage, something a lot quieter and more fuel efficient than my 2kVa Honda.

PDW

thorens
13th March 2014, 12:40 PM
Hi Peter,

"after read all the above mentioned option. i think this should be a good answer :B.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HP-DIGIT...item58ace66523 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HP-DIGITAL-240V-415V-3-PHASE-INVERTER-CONVERTER-LATHE-MILL-DRILL-/380857902371?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item58ace66523)

what you reckon ?"

That would be one of my two choices. And likely the cheapest.

The other being a 240V three phase motor and VFD. I am seriously thinking down this way as my Hardinge mill has the 2 speed 3/4 h.p. or 3/8 h.p. the same as your lathe and I figure a little more grunt could be handy. The other advantage of a modern motor is that they are usually more energy efficient due to legislated requirements.

Ideally I would do the mains upgrade to 3 phase. The high voltage 3 phase is nearly 1km away, a transformer upgrade and 70 metres of low voltage cable to be upgraded. I shudder at the cost. The bloke who recently became my boss has the last three phase transformer on my line. He paid for the upgrade of the transformer and one span of high voltage plus the 75 metres of low voltage. He mutters about the $25k cost from time to time. In other states people who later connect to your upgraded transformer have to make a contribution to the cost which is then repaid to whoever originally paid for the upgrade. Not here, though.

Cheers

Th Beryl Bloke

I will take a crack on this one and see . this is the cheapest option so far that i can see on this thread.
hope it work as it advertised .
Peter

neksmerj
13th March 2014, 02:13 PM
May I suggest that you buy directly from Drives Direct. If you buy through eBay, you will be up for the VAT. I think this recently went up from 17% to 22%, ouch!

When importing into Australia from the UK, VAT is not applicable, point this out to Drives Direct when dealing with them.

Ken

thorens
13th March 2014, 02:22 PM
May I suggest that you buy directly from Drives Direct. If you buy through eBay, you will be up for the VAT. I think this recently went up from 17% to 22%, ouch!

When importing into Australia from the UK, VAT is not applicable, point this out to Drives Direct when dealing with them.

Ken

Thanks ken.
yes I did send them an email regarding the frieght charge and the VAT for export to Australia.
I will wait to hear from them .
have any one here using this particular converter ?
Peter

neksmerj
13th March 2014, 10:08 PM
Hi Peter, as far as I know Stustoys and myself are the only ones with Drives Direct VFD's. I have not set mine up yet so can't advise any further except to say it took a lot of mucking around and patience to finally get my unit here.

Correspondence with Drives Direct was greatly lacking.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=130567&highlight=drives+direct

I did post somewhere on this forum all the problems I had with Drives Direct, but can't find it.

Maybe someone else can track my post down.

Ken

thorens
13th March 2014, 10:52 PM
Hi Peter, as far as I know Stustoys and myself are the only ones with Drives Direct VFD's. I have not set mine up yet so can't advise any further except to say it took a lot of mucking around and patience to finally get my unit here.

Correspondence with Drives Direct was greatly lacking.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=130567&highlight=drives+direct

I did post somewhere on this forum all the problems I had with Drives Direct, but can't find it.

Maybe someone else can track my post down.

Ken

Hi Ken.
Thanks for this. I will be careful when dealing with them then
why didn't you use your yet ? is there a problem still?
Peter

thorens
20th March 2014, 03:40 PM
here it is.
http://www.automationdirect.com.au/
look like this is what we all need . it quite resonable price .
Peter

Stustoys
20th March 2014, 03:51 PM
You mean this one?

http://www.store.automationdirect.com.au/item.mibiznez?id=4513&name=GS2-21P0

Is there any other info about the drives?

$300 + $27.5 postage isn't want I would call cheap if its just another Chinese drive.

Stuart

Stustoys
20th March 2014, 03:57 PM
This appears to be the same drive

http://www.lamondeautomation.co.uk/pdf/spec_gs1.pdf

thorens
20th March 2014, 04:48 PM
You mean this one?

http://www.store.automationdirect.com.au/item.mibiznez?id=4513&name=GS2-21P0

Is there any other info about the drives?

$300 + $27.5 postage isn't want I would call cheap if its just another Chinese drive.

Stuart

Hi Stuart.
no the one i was look at is a Danfoss . the 1.5kw is around $300 .
http://www.ctiautomation.net/Danfoss.htm
i can't see any chinese one that output 415v 3 phase . only work in Delta mod.
do you?
Peter

Stustoys
20th March 2014, 05:16 PM
Isnt that a different site?

Are you still asking for single phase 240V to 3 phase 415V?
As far as I am aware Drives Direct are the only people selling those.

With a quick look on your last link I cant see one.(I'm about to head out the door for a bit)

Stuart

thorens
20th March 2014, 05:54 PM
Isnt that a different site?

Are you still asking for single phase 240V to 3 phase 415V?
As far as I am aware Drives Direct are the only people selling those.

With a quick look on your last link I cant see one.(I'm about to head out the door for a bit)

Stuart

no.
it in the same site. the guy i talk with is sure that the danfoss they sell is single phase to 3 phase 415v .
there is a guy i know used one of them for his milling machine . however i was very suprise my self to find this to be the case . i will have to double check just to made sure .
if it indeed 240v single phase to 415v 3 phase then we don't have to buy them from overseas and prive seem cheaper too.

Peter

Stustoys
21st March 2014, 12:24 AM
Will be interesting to see what your friend has to say.

As you say it would be nice to have more than one option.

Stuart

jhovel
21st March 2014, 12:52 AM
Peter,
I had a dedicated look through the site and can't find any models that convert 240V input to anything other than a output of 0-100% input voltage.
Do you have a model number that is meant to do a voltage increase?

RayG
21st March 2014, 01:22 AM
no.
it in the same site. the guy i talk with is sure that the danfoss they sell is single phase to 3 phase 415v .
there is a guy i know used one of them for his milling machine . however i was very suprise my self to find this to be the case . i will have to double check just to made sure .
if it indeed 240v single phase to 415v 3 phase then we don't have to buy them from overseas and prive seem cheaper too.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have a Danfoss VLT Micro on the lathe, nice vector drive. But it's 240 single phase in 240 3 phase out. Yes there is a model which is 415 single phase in 415 3 phase out... but no 240 in 415 out, As stuart and joe have already mentioned, drivesdirect in the uk are the only ones I've ever heard of.

Ray

thorens
21st March 2014, 10:00 AM
Hi Peter,

I have a Danfoss VLT Micro on the lathe, nice vector drive. But it's 240 single phase in 240 3 phase out. Yes there is a model which is 415 single phase in 415 3 phase out... but no 240 in 415 out, As stuart and joe have already mentioned, drivesdirect in the uk are the only ones I've ever heard of.

Ray

HI Ray.
that is what I see too but the guy at automation just keep saying that it is single phase to 3 phase 415v. also an engineer friend also swear that he have this VLT unit running his milling machine which have the 415v motor . i need to double check on this and confirm which model he has used .
i do have my doubt ,
Peter

Techo1
21st March 2014, 10:41 AM
415 volt single phase is 2 x 240 volt actives, maybe that is what they mean by 415 volt in.

Lex.

RayG
21st March 2014, 04:20 PM
415 volt single phase is 2 x 240 volt actives, maybe that is what they mean by 415 volt in.

Lex.

Yes, correct, that's the 480V sometimes found in rural areas. It doesn't mean 240V in 415 out.. but it is single phase in 3 phase out.

Incidentally you can run just about any VFD on single phase power, be it 415, or 480 single phase or 240 single phase, provided it can be configured so that it doesn't alarm and shut down on missing phases, and of course you have to de-rate the output accordingly.

The Danfoss VLT Aqua FC202 is available in two single phase models, 200-240V and 380-480V single phase input.

Ray