PDA

View Full Version : The honeymoon is over

Steamwhisperer
6th March 2014, 07:38 AM
Hi all,
yes, you read that right, 'honeymoon'. They reckon it happens after you get married.:oo:
Mind you it took her 7 years to get me to sign on the dotted line and I still can't believe I made the same mistake twice :D.
Anyways, we went to the sunshine coast in Queensland and played 'tourist' for a bit. We drove to the Maritime museum for a bit of a look.
This is where it got a bit odd. Everytime I saw something I thought, 'oh, Ueee would like to see that' or 'Dsel would like to see that' or 'Bryan would like to see that', you get the picture.
It seems this forum is beginning to dictate what pictures I will take :D.
Would you believe I didn't take the camera so they are all from the phone :-
I've got more but they are steam orientated. I took 'some' shots for me at least. :D

Phil
306620 306621 306622 306623
306624 306625 306626 306627 306628 306629

PDW
6th March 2014, 08:07 AM
Yeah - I have a ton of pictures from that museum too. I knew you'd like the old steam gear for operating the dock.

Every time I go to Brisbane I visit the museum.

Now all you need to do is visit Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbour where there are some *real* machine tools. I posted a pile of pix on PM some years ago.

PDW

azzrock
6th March 2014, 09:17 AM
great photos phil. i know what you mean.
thanks

wheelinround
6th March 2014, 10:13 AM
Great photo's Phil and congratulations I think :;

I must admit when we head out these days we are always on the lookout for wood, steam, tools, old auto's :roll: with an up coming trip in land north across the boarder it could prove interesting.

DSEL74
6th March 2014, 11:36 AM
Phil,
Thanks for thinking of me! :2tsup: Nice post drills and I love that treadle lathe.

I have to go to Sydney this weekend, what is a t Cockatoo Island??? I might get a chance to go look about, any other places I'd love and the missus be bored :D

azzrock
6th March 2014, 11:45 AM
Phil,
Thanks for thinking of me! :2tsup: Nice post drills and I love that treadle lathe.

I have to go to Sydney this weekend, what is a t Cockatoo Island??? I might get a chance to go look about, any other places I'd love and the missus be bored :D

Cockatoo island is the old navel dock yard

RayG
6th March 2014, 12:29 PM
Congratulations Phil, you've made a wise choice. :2tsup:

Not taking the camera I mean... :)

Ray
PS.. Please pass on my best wishes to the lucky lady.

PDW
6th March 2014, 01:32 PM
Phil,

http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/about/history

Easy ferry ride (in fact it's the only way to get there unless you have your own boat) from Darling Harbour or Circular Quay. Check the ferry timetable so you can plan things.

There's a lot to see including big lathes and a travelling head planer amongst other items. I love the place, in fact if I ever moved back to Sydney I'd become a volunteer there.

PDW

Bryan
6th March 2014, 02:43 PM
There doesn't seem to be a button for congratulations, so ... congratulations! :snog: :fineprint: :D

jhovel
6th March 2014, 05:18 PM
Congratulations Phil! All the best to you both!
Btw, you won't know if you repeated a mistake until there are negative consequences - I detect quite the opposite so far. :)

Cheers,
Joe

simonl
6th March 2014, 08:48 PM
Good work Phil!
Thanks for the honeymoon photos! :B

One question, those drill presses: Are they hand operated? Judging by the size of some of those drill bits the person operating the drill would be working pretty hard!

Simon

DSEL74
6th March 2014, 08:55 PM
Good work Phil!
Thanks for the honeymoon photos! :B

One question, those drill presses: Are they hand operated? Judging by the size of some of those drill bits the person operating the drill would be working pretty hard!

Simon

Hand cranked. You could tell the operator he was the guy walking off on a diagonal cos he was lopsided with one overdeveloped arm.:p

Michael G
6th March 2014, 09:19 PM
Yes, you read that right, 'honeymoon'. They reckon it happens after you get married.:oo:
Mind you it took her 7 years to get me to sign on the dotted line.

Gee Phil - and she seemed like such a sane person when I met her - mind you, any woman who agrees to take a CI surface plate on a caravaning holiday can't be all bad.

Michael

jhovel
6th March 2014, 09:29 PM
Simon, you might be surprised how effective these post drills are: last year my then 5 year old grandson was determined to try mine and successfully drilled a 5/8" hole through a 1/2" steel flat bar. He a very proud of himself and took the bar home to show off.... :)

Abratool
6th March 2014, 10:00 PM
Phil
Congratulations to you both.
This is very good news !
regards
Bruce

Bryan
6th March 2014, 10:29 PM
Things I like about the crane picture:

It's in a developed area, and it's been deemed worthy of preservation.
It hasn't been painted gaudy colours, or painted at all.
It appears to retain its cable, despite obvious potential dangers to kids and idiots.
I haven't seen one like that.
Phil took it for me. :B

I wonder how long till the safety police emasculate it?

KBs PensNmore
6th March 2014, 10:45 PM
Going back some time about 40years, my mates father had one of those drills that he would use to drill a 2" hole in 3" steel, he would also cut 8"X12" I beams with a hand hacksaw. He was 70+ then and couldn't cast a shadow as he was that thin.
Nice Pics:2tsup:
Kryn

Ueee
6th March 2014, 10:47 PM
Congratulations Phil!

Of course i do like the Mars pics, except why oh why is the T/S and compound painted red?? It must be an early one, and i see the safety police Bryan was talking about have got to it too.

Cheers,
Ew

Ropetangler
6th March 2014, 10:51 PM
Gee Phil - and she seemed like such a sane person when I met her - mind you, any woman who agrees to take a CI surface plate on a caravaning holiday can't be all bad.

Michael

CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes from me too Phil, what was the CI surface plate for, cooking eggs and bacon, or pancakes?? Mind you we can understand you taking your scraping tool with you on your honeymoon, but the blue and the surface plate!!:oo:
Rob.

Jon_B
7th March 2014, 02:27 AM
Congratulations!
Did your really go on a honey moon with no camera... hahaha that is a good one :2tsup:

Your phone takes nice pics though!

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2014, 08:23 AM
Congrats
and thanks for the piccies

Gavin Newman
7th March 2014, 08:52 AM
Simon, you might be surprised how effective these post drills are: last year my then 5 year old grandson was determined to try mine and successfully drilled a 5/8" hole through a 1/2" steel flat bar. He a very proud of himself and took the bar home to show off.... :)

Amen to that, the 2 speed post drill I have is very good at running hole-saws.

nadroj
7th March 2014, 09:24 AM
Regarding the Britannia treadle lathe: Anyone know why it uses a chain as the connecting link?

Jordan

Steamwhisperer
11th March 2014, 07:05 AM
Apologies for not responding earlier guys but a snap decision was made to hook the van up and head off to the crater of a volcano just the other side of Daylesford. Great camping spot.
Thanks for the congratulations.
As soon as I have resized all the pics (which I have to do one at a time), I will post them all.
Here is a couple more for Bryan.

Phil
ps great, the manage attachments thingy has changed back to the difficult way of doing things.

307014 307015 307016

wheelinround
12th March 2014, 09:15 AM
The Ball and chain being more significant now Phil :;