PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarcs New 1/2 Speed Grinder

brendan stemp
6th March 2014, 08:09 PM
I have now had a chance to get my new aquisition set up and had a quick play. I'm liking it. Pics included of the grinder, sharpening jig and platform. It will be at the Shepparton Wood Show this weekend. The RRP, for those interested is $247.50

artme
6th March 2014, 09:17 PM
Good looking set up Brendan. i assume it is designed for CBN wheels??

brendan stemp
6th March 2014, 09:33 PM
I forgot to mention that the grinder cam with 2 al ox wheels; a 36 and 60 grit. I took the 36 off and put my cbn wheel on which meant I couldn't put the cover back on without making some minor adjustments. Don't know where it is made but I suspect China.

mkypenturner
6th March 2014, 11:36 PM
our club has had one of those for about 6 months and it is really amazing we all love it

DaveTTC
7th March 2014, 09:15 AM
I'll come check it out at the show

chuck1
7th March 2014, 05:10 PM
I used to have a grinder with extra wide wheel and it came with a guard to fit, wish I kept it!

FenceFurniture
7th March 2014, 11:55 PM
Ahem!

https://www.tradetools.com/products/TTBG8HD
Notice any similarities? Or more to the point, it is much quicker to list the differences - three that I can spot - the go fast Orange, which apparently works as it is precisely double the speed of the Vicmarc, and the VM is 1500 watts, this one is 900. Other than that, they are identical in every way that can be seen

Not saying anything here, just interesting what can be turned up.

FenceFurniture
8th March 2014, 10:15 AM
I think you mean the other way around?Oopsie :B. Edited.

Big Shed
8th March 2014, 10:23 AM
Carbatec used to sell an 8" slow speed (1425RPM) grinder that looked identical to these 2, except it was white. It had the same shields with magnifier, but it also came with a light.

It was 900W, had 30mm wide wheels and the one I looked at had so much vibration that it almost walked off the bench in the shop!:oo:

Model no was AW8SRGand price was $219 when I looked at it a couple of years ago.

FenceFurniture
8th March 2014, 10:43 AM
DC posted a pic of his Carbatec ˝speed here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=182658&p=1754941#post1754941). The body shape is different (but probably still out of the same Chinese factory or street). The pricing must have been different too - in the Sydney shop they were over $400 IIRC which is why I didn't buy one then. This is so often the case with Carbatec - they think we aren't smart enough to check the pricing at the different stores. The franchised stores had or have much higher pricing on many things. A set of Colt Forstners was the classic - $299 in Sydney et al, and $169 in Melbourne and Brisbane.

It was actually a search for a ˝speed grinder that lead me to these forums in the first place.

Big Shed
8th March 2014, 10:58 AM
When I inspected the Carbatec AW8SRG ($219.00) they also had another slow speed grinder, the CTG-8431 and it was priced (then) at $419.00. It was a much more refined bit of machinery, no vibrations etc, but I wasn't prepared to spend that sort of money, opted instead for the Scheppach 2500 wet grinder.

Christos
8th March 2014, 11:16 AM
It was actually a search for a ˝speed grinder that lead me to these forums in the first place.

Have you purchased one yet or you still looking?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=182658

:U

FenceFurniture
8th March 2014, 11:23 AM
No, not yet Christos - been too busy in the forum since then :D

Waiting for Jim's report on the VM for mop etc use.

NeilS
8th March 2014, 11:59 AM
I used to have a grinder with extra wide wheel and it came with a guard to fit, wish I kept it!

Unless it is for dust control of the metal grindings off the tool, I wouldn't bother refitting a guard over an electroplated CBN wheel.

Unlike vitrified alox and silicon carbide wheels, or the resin bonded component of a diamond or CBN wheel, which are are all prone to catastrophic failure, an electroplated wheel will not fail in that way.

Mobyturns
8th March 2014, 06:30 PM
Unless it is for dust control of the metal grindings off the tool, I wouldn't bother refitting a guard over an electroplated CBN wheel.

Unlike vitrified alox and silicon carbide wheels, or the resin bonded component of a diamond or CBN wheel, which are are all prone to catastrophic failure, an electroplated wheel will not fail in that way.

Neil, I don't think I would like to be in front of a grinder that has a catastrophic wheel failure, with or without guards. :oo: The guards may stop some of the flying debris but it has to go somewhere.

One of the reasons it is recommended to stand out of the firing line.

NeilS
8th March 2014, 07:12 PM
Neil, I don't think I would like to be in front of a grinder that has a catastrophic wheel failure, with or without guards. :oo: The guards may stop some of the flying debris but it has to go somewhere.

One of the reasons it is recommended to stand out of the firing line.

Indeed!

I always stay out of the firing line when spinning the grinder up to running speed with any of the non-electroplated wheels.

if you are using a sharpening jigs you don't have to stand directly in front of the grinding wheel to get the results you want.

But, when I'm freehand sharpening I tend to eyeball down over the tool/wheel and as a result dance about through the firing line. So it's some comfort to know that the electroplated CBN wheel isn't going to have a go at me...:)

BobL
8th March 2014, 11:21 PM

Catastrophic wheel failure is only one of several reasons for grinders and similar machinery having a guard. Any high speed rotating object represent a risk of grabbing anything loose and floppy so for that reason alone I would suggest a guard. One risk I have experience with was a bolt falling off a shelf onto a spinning wheel that then put a hole through the shed wall.

I see many machine, like buffs and sander,s that were in the past unguarded probably because they were not going to suffer catastrophic failure are now coming out with guards.

NeilS
9th March 2014, 10:10 AM
Any high speed rotating object represent a risk of grabbing anything loose and floppy so for that reason alone I would suggest a guard.

Good point, Bob.

I certainly wince whenever I see an unguarded belt and pulley.

And, I wouldn't have my grinder wheels unguarded if I had anyone in my workshop other then me.

Mobyturns
9th March 2014, 01:56 PM
Indeed!

I always stay out of the firing line when spinning the grinder up to running speed with any of the non-electroplated wheels.

Catastrophic wheel failure is only one of several reasons for grinders and similar machinery having a guard. Any high speed rotating object represent a risk of grabbing anything loose and floppy so for that reason alone I would suggest a guard. One risk I have experience with was a bolt falling off a shelf onto a spinning wheel that then put a hole through the shed wall.

I see many machine, like buffs and sander,s that were in the past unguarded probably because they were not going to suffer catastrophic failure are now coming out with guards.

Good point, Bob.

I certainly wince whenever I see an unguarded belt and pulley.

And, I wouldn't have my grinder wheels unguarded if I had anyone in my workshop other then me.

All good advice. This is a good example of how we often focus on one hazard but over look others with as much risk and severity of injury. In an industrial setting / workplace an unguarded wheel would be regarded as a breach of the WHS legislation and would attract attention from an inspector. Hobbyists can learn a lot about safe use of tools, guarding machinery etc from "safe work practices" developed for the workplace & its FREE!

Hope this link is of value to others.

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/resources/pdfs/machineguard_guide2006.pdf

BobL
9th March 2014, 04:06 PM
. . . .In an industrial setting / workplace an unguarded wheel would be regarded as a breach of the WHS legislation and would attract attention from an inspector. Hobbyists can learn a lot about safe use of tools, guarding machinery etc from "safe work practices" developed for the workplace & its FREE!

:2tsup: even though we all like to bag workplace OHS there is lots of evidence based best practice advice available via this route. Some may be a bit over the top for a DIY but if you want to follow best practice you are much more likely to find it there than in a back yard shed.