PDA

View Full Version : Workbench legs and rails

Clinton1
12th June 2005, 01:47 AM
As a newbie to the forum, apologies if this question has been dealt with before:
I get the need for a reasonably dense wood for a workbench top, however could I use a cypress for the legs/rails?
Any advice/thoughts gratefully rx

Bruce Micheal
12th June 2005, 06:43 AM
Clinton

I'm not an expert, but I have a work bench with cypress legs and rails (75 x 50). The top is also cypress (75 x 50 laminated on the 75 side). Make sure your timber is well seasoned or it could move, bend twist etc, cypress is well known for this.

regards :)

Gumby
12th June 2005, 10:17 AM
There's been lots of talk about the use of old oregon in the forums recently. have a whole bench made out of it. Legs, rails and top. It's 20 years old and very strong and stable. I agree that thge cypress could be a problem with movement. To get the old oregon into shape, you'd need a thicknesser and ideally , a jointer as well. Not sure if you have those but if you could source some old timber, that's the ideal.

Tops can also be done using a solid core door. If you check the local door suppliers, sometimes they have 'seconds' which have got marks in them or been damaged. They would be cheap and make excellent bench tops.

DPB
12th June 2005, 10:33 AM
To get the old oregon into shape, you'd need a thicknesser and ideally , a jointer as well. Gumby, I'd put this the other way around. Ideally, you need a jointer and secondly, a thicknesser.

I think the idea of purchasing a thicknesser first then a jointer is bass-akwards. :D

bitingmidge
12th June 2005, 11:04 AM
I reckon you can use anything for anypart of any bench!

The only job the legs do is: they keep the top from hitting the floor, so within reason make them of any material. Cypress studs hold up whole houses, a little workbench won't even be a challenge for them!

cheers,

P

JDarvall
12th June 2005, 03:12 PM
I've always been fond of old hardwood studs from houses, ....... particularly because often their free...... long 2x4" types.......stable as they will ever be due to their age......you can often get a stack of them for free from renovation sites......if your willing to look shifty digging through skips.....or just go to the demolitions........after cleaning out all nails and paint etc....just joint and thickness and edge glue to make your bench top.....I've never found the need to bolt together or anything.......just a regular edge to edge gluing holds it enough (as long as you've trued it well enough) and especially ok if you plan on 4" thick .....seems to be plenty of glued surface area to hold together....and 4" thickness also good I think because you can re-true it latter if necessary without worry it will get to thin.

Robert WA
12th June 2005, 03:44 PM
You have some good advice from Midge and Apricotripper.
A workbench is a workbench is a workbench. It needs to be strong, stable and flat. Does it really matter what it is made of or looks like, provided it meets those criteria.
Salvaged timber, solid core doors, anything you can get your hands on. I don't know Cypress, that is an east coast thing, but if you can get old stuff cheap, use it.

Clinton1
12th June 2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I plan on using red gum 'sleepers' (150 x 75) for the bench, and I have 100 x 100 cypress posts that I was thinking of using for the legs. I guess it will do will enough.

Again, thanks for the opinions - this forum has provided interesting opinions and I hope to continue learning from it. Cheers

Ashore
12th June 2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I plan on using red gum 'sleepers' (150 x 75) for the bench, and I have 100 x 100 cypress posts that I was thinking of using for the legs. I guess it will do will enough.
And then some
Dont forget the cross bracing and to post a pic when your finished.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Gumby
12th June 2005, 07:17 PM
A workbench is a workbench is a workbench.

Well, that certainly clears it up for me.
:D

ozwinner
12th June 2005, 07:30 PM
but if you can get old stuff cheap, use it.
We get old cheap ppl coming into the shop, you could use them.
Ill send ya some.

Al :)

Robert WA
12th June 2005, 07:48 PM
We get old cheap ppl coming into the shop, you could use them.
Ill send ya some.

Al :)

I am an old, cheap person, where is your shop? Take me, take me.

ozwinner
12th June 2005, 07:55 PM
I am an old, cheap person, where is your shop? Take me, take me.
Thank ( insert your god of choice here) you live toooooo far from me, shame. :(

Al :D