PDA

View Full Version : Hey from sunny Richards Bay in South Africa :-)

Vicco
7th March 2014, 06:31 AM
Hi, my name is Vic, and I recently fulfilled one of the things I had been mulling over for years - building my own CNC router. Now that I've managed to do that, I plan to pursue the next thing on my wishlist, which is to build my own "Fender" Telecaster with it. I've already got some plans for the body and the headstock, and I'm on the lookout now for a plan for the neck. If anyone out there has anything that might help me, I'd surely appreciate it! Also, any advice is welcome. This will be my first guitar build, and I'll surely post something along the way as I progress. I have some nice Oregon Pine which I am thinking of using for the body, and I plan to do a "natural" finish. Anybody have any opinions on that?

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2014, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the forum

The latest issue of the Australian Wood Review has an article titled "make your own guitar"
seems to examine and review some available kits

link to the AWR website here (http://woodreview.com.au/)

The current issue isn't on the site yet (I only received mine in the mail yesterday)

old1955
7th March 2014, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the forum Vic.

Christos
7th March 2014, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I might suggest posting guitar questions to this sub-forum.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

As not everyone on the forum looks in the introduction section.

crowie
7th March 2014, 05:53 PM
G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "Vic".
There are a few members from South Africa on the forum and the across rest of the world.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Especially a top mob of blokes on the toymaking & scale modeling section of the forum.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.....
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

Perfect Pens
8th March 2014, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the forums Vic,
amazing what you can do with a cnc. Good luck with the guitar build too:2tsup:
Cheers
Tony

tdrumnut
8th March 2014, 08:33 PM
Good to have you on board Vic.

Vicco
8th March 2014, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I might suggest posting guitar questions to this sub-forum.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

As not everyone on the forum looks in the introduction section.

Thanks, Christos - I'll definitely take a look-see there :)

Vicco
8th March 2014, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum

The latest issue of the Australian Wood Review has an article titled "make your own guitar"
seems to examine and review some available kits

link to the AWR website here (http://woodreview.com.au/)

The current issue isn't on the site yet (I only received mine in the mail yesterday)

Thanks, Sawdust Maker - I'll go check it out - although I seriously doubt that any kits/gear they have will be available in South Africa :(

Vicco
8th March 2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :)

Sawdust Maker
9th March 2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Sawdust Maker - I'll go check it out - although I seriously doubt that any kits/gear they have will be available in South Africa :(

You're welcome

I've just had a read and the kits reviewed include everything , even a preshaped body and neck
From your post I got the impression that you wanted to shape the wooden elements yourself

AWR did comment that the kit from Guitaraust, the ST, was "an unashamed copy of the legendary American Fender Stratocaster."

Vicco
9th March 2014, 07:33 PM
You're welcome

I've just had a read and the kits reviewed include everything , even a preshaped body and neck
From your post I got the impression that you wanted to shape the wooden elements yourself

AWR did comment that the kit from Guitaraust, the ST, was "an unashamed copy of the legendary American Fender Stratocaster."

Indeed I do, Sawdust Maker - I'll be trying my best to make an unashamed copy of the legendary Fender Telecaster :D

Sawdust Maker
9th March 2014, 07:50 PM
Well good luck with it

I'm sure the parts and electronics are available online somewhere

JJF
10th March 2014, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the forum