PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Colour

Dalboy
11th March 2014, 02:13 AM
Saw an article in the Woodturner magazine by Nick Arnull and thought that I would have a go, This one is going in the bin the wood is terrible but it did me for the test of the colouring.
The only colours I had are red, black, white and flesh (all used on my santa carving that I done) except for one point on the colouring top left I am pretty pleased with the outcome. Now all I need to do is buy some more colours.

I want too do more

Sturdee
11th March 2014, 07:12 PM
Saw an article in the Woodturner magazine by Nick Arnull and thought that I would have a go, This one is going in the bin the wood is terrible but it did me for the test of the colouring.
The only colours I had are red, black, white and flesh (all used on my santa carving that I done) except for one point on the colouring top left I am pretty pleased with the outcome. Now all I need to do is buy some more colours.

I want too do more

Derek,

I noticed that a lot of the articles in the Woodturner deal with colouring and otherwise enhancing after turning. Don't know why as it's not done much here.

I have also tried a few items that way and I found that I did not have the artistic flair that is needed for it to work well and I don't have time to try that learning experience, to busy to learn box making.:U

What I found that for me it was much better to concentrate on inlays etc rather then painting.

As you said it's not a keeper, but you are showing flair in the choice of colouring and it's a great first effort. All I would say is that the two black lines should be the same width as it appears that the inside one is wider then the outside. I would have liked to see the bowl finished, at least shaped to size, to see if the ring suits the style of the bowl.

But great first effort :2tsup: and I'm looking to further colourings from you.

Peter.

cookie48
11th March 2014, 08:22 PM
That looks ok to me for first effort. Keep it for future reference.
Have you tried a spray on varnish?? Might bring it up a bit.

Dalboy
12th March 2014, 12:47 AM
Derek,

I noticed that a lot of the articles in the Woodturner deal with colouring and otherwise enhancing after turning. Don't know why as it's not done much here.

I have also tried a few items that way and I found that I did not have the artistic flair that is needed for it to work well and I don't have time to try that learning experience, to busy to learn box making.:U

What I found that for me it was much better to concentrate on inlays etc rather then painting.

As you said it's not a keeper, but you are showing flair in the choice of colouring and it's a great first effort. All I would say is that the two black lines should be the same width as it appears that the inside one is wider then the outside. I would have liked to see the bowl finished, at least shaped to size, to see if the ring suits the style of the bowl.

But great first effort :2tsup: and I'm looking to further colourings from you.

Peter.

Thank you Peter I have been playing with colour on and off this is the first in the way I have done it this time.
Luckily for me the colours I had suited each other.

The black line where just put on there to just to see how the contrast as an edge if I was to do a piece that is not a keeper then I would have made sure they matched.

I appreciate your input on this as it could have been something that I missed or got totally wrong please keep the comments coming good or bad :2tsup::2tsup:

That looks ok to me for first effort. Keep it for future reference.
Have you tried a spray on varnish?? Might bring it up a bit.

It is going in the bin as if i was to keep all experiments as reference I would soon run out of space :U:U

I did give it a spray varnish but discovered it was a matt one I think it could have been either a semi gloss or even a gloss one which would have made it stand out more:B:B:B