PDA

View Full Version : machine crash

beergoggles
11th March 2014, 02:31 PM
Hi there every one.
heres some interesting photos of a near miss.

bwal74
11th March 2014, 03:44 PM
I used to drive those once. I bet the driver had to change his undies after that!!

Ben

.RC.
11th March 2014, 04:16 PM
I was thinking that would be a sackable incident for sure, but where it is, the driver will probably get 12 months stress leave on full pay instead...

azzrock
11th March 2014, 04:24 PM
I was thinking that would be a sackable incident for sure, but where it is, the driver will probably get 12 months stress leave on full pay instead...

or maybe promoted.

nearnexus
11th March 2014, 04:35 PM
Looks to me like there's no visual safety indicator on the concrete wall.

Rob

Grahame Collins
11th March 2014, 05:12 PM
I can't see the control cab but I would think it a plik of a thing to drive.

The mine dump trucks are hard to see out of and that carrier looks a lot taller. That looks like a seatainer end on( in pic 1) .

If you scale it up, the driving position has to be several metres plus above the road.Not easy to see and we don't know the circumstances as yet.

Interesting post though.

Grahame

azzrock
11th March 2014, 05:21 PM
hi it looks like a straddle carrier kalmar the maker. the cab is 40"in the air positioned over the left hand side.

I can't see the control cab but I would think it a plik of a thing to drive.

The mine dump trucks are hard to see out of and that carrier looks a lot taller. That looks like a seatainer end on( in pic 1) .

If you scale it up, the driving position has to be several metres plus above the road.Not easy to see and we don't know the circumstances as yet.

Interesting post though.

Grahame

beergoggles
11th March 2014, 05:28 PM
A few details. A near new 1.4 million dollar machine.
A diesel electric machine that comes in at 69 tons.
Travels no load at 30km.
bg

ventureoverland
12th March 2014, 07:41 AM
How can this (presumably) accident be defined as a 'near miss'? It crashed so was clearly an incident and not at all a 'near miss'.

Thx
Jon

PDW
12th March 2014, 09:04 AM
A few details. A near new 1.4 million dollar machine.
A diesel electric machine that comes in at 69 tons.
Travels no load at 30km.
bg

..... likely operated by an idiot on drugs or alcohol. And before people start screaming about my assumption, I know quite a lot about wharves & freight including people who worked on wharves all their lives. One of which, now long retired, used to drive a crane after seeing a workmate squashed by a container put on top of him by the crane driver, who spent his lunch break in the pub. At which point Claude insisted on being the crane driver, as he didn't drink.

PDW

Gammaboy
12th March 2014, 03:13 PM
How can this (presumably) accident be defined as a 'near miss'? It crashed so was clearly an incident and not at all a 'near miss'.ThxJonNo injuries makes it a "Near Miss"...

steamingbill
12th March 2014, 03:14 PM
How can this (presumably) accident be defined as a 'near miss'? It crashed so was clearly an incident and not at all a 'near miss'.

Thx
Jon

When I was working somebody suggested that the term "near miss" be abolished and replaced by "near hit".

Bill

Grahame Collins
12th March 2014, 03:40 PM
..... likely operated by an idiot on drugs or alcohol. PDW

I'll concede things like that have happened in the past.These days with the tight OH&S regulations and legislation is it really likely that a substance affected driver in a high risk work, drug and alcohol tested environment would not be detected quickly?

It simply is not tolerated by management or unions in this day and age.
I have been in local heavy engineering shops in the last 12 months where anybody who is affected by substances is discovered and removed very quickly. Spot checks occur all the time.

Given the constant attention to drug and alcohol testing I feel safer onsite than I do on the open road.

Some one may have had a heart attack or stroke while driving . Until circumstances are revealed we cannot assume. The fact that that the accident with a Million $+machine is not appearing on the internet as a news item, does says something, so I suppose it is possible that there is something that the particular stevedore company does not want public knowledge.

Given the constant attention to drug and alcohol testing in workplaces, reckon I feel safer onsite than I do on the open road.

Grahame

ventureoverland
12th March 2014, 04:46 PM
Given the constant attention to drug and alcohol testing in workplaces, reckon I feel safer onsite than I do on the open road.

Grahame

I agree. I'm a Civil Engineer and have worked all over the world over the last 20years or so in the rail and high voltage electricity distribution industries. I have also done a stint in pit-port container yard design.

The point I'm making is that even now, in management roles I am classed as a safety critical worker and am subjected to the same random D&A tests as the guys operating plant. This was unheard of years ago and I am thankful for the change, whenever I'm onsite I can be pretty sure 99.99% of staff are clean - We all need to go home at night!

Jon

Thx
Jon

azzrock
12th March 2014, 06:38 PM
..... likely operated by an idiot on drugs or alcohol. And before people start screaming about my assumption, I know quite a lot about wharves & freight including people who worked on wharves all their lives. One of which, now long retired, used to drive a crane after seeing a workmate squashed by a container put on top of him by the crane driver, who spent his lunch break in the pub. At which point Claude insisted on being the crane driver, as he didn't drink.

PDW

ah the good old days. THese days its more likely to see the cranes working thru lunch than the operators down the pub.

as well as random and often drug and alcohol testing. strict 45 min lunch. post incident drug and alcohol testing. plus

booze busses on the roads. productivity is all thats important know.well
i can't speak for all work sites only the one i know Australia's biggest container port.

jatt
12th March 2014, 08:35 PM
I suppose it is possible that there is something that the particular stevedore company does not want public knowledge.
Well thats blown out of the water now!!!

That wall will have a dozen crash barriers around it now.:)

Glad its not my container. At least it didnt come to grief.

Uncle Al
12th March 2014, 10:02 PM
I can imagine the investigation and paper work that went into that incident, would have kept a lot of people busy for quite a while, let alone the guys who had to repair the damage.

Alan...

BaronJ
13th March 2014, 01:09 AM
Ill say ! That's going to hurt someone's pocket. Looks like it hit the wall at some speed the way the wheels have been ripped off.

azzrock
27th April 2014, 05:24 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-21/man-injured-in-crane-collapse-at-melbourne-shipping-container/5401804

a very lucky boy

.RC.
27th April 2014, 07:32 PM
I feel Melbourne Port needs to have a good hard look at the people it is employing...

Karl Robbers
28th April 2014, 01:51 AM
Lets not be too hasty to blame the operator. We know nothing of the operating conditions.
Looking at the proportions of those straddle carriers, I am glad I do not operate one - far higher than their width and severely limited visibility.
It would be interesting to know what the outcome of the investigation is.

BaronJ
28th April 2014, 05:37 AM
On a machine of that value I would be surprised if they didn't have blind spot observation cameras !

azzrock
28th April 2014, 06:08 PM
On a machine of that value I would be surprised if they didn't have blind spot observation cameras !

no camera's or mirrors