PDA

View Full Version : My Vicmarc VL 300 is Rusting

Kidbee
11th March 2014, 10:59 PM
The cast iron stand that the lathe sits on is showing signs of surface rust. Admittedly, it is positioned under a highset house but not enclosed in a room. However, I paid big money for this lathe which I purchased about 5 years ago, and I would have thought it would have been better finished to prevent rust. After all my Rodeo Ute is 14 years old and has no rust.

I have not complained to Vicmarc but did e-mail them to ask if they could supply me with a matching paint as I want to keep the lathe looking as authentic as possible.

This was their reply "If you live close by to us in Brisbane you could purchase some paint from us
however I doubt it would match in colour. We have since changed paint
supplier and the colour is slightly different. Unfortunately the only real
way of matching the paint would be to bring one of your parts e.g. Headstock
cover to a paint supplier and have them make the paint up for you. The
paint type is called hammer finish or hammer tone and is an enamel paint."

My question is should I tackle this problem in a hurry or do it when I get around to it? Is the rust going to do more damage in the short term? It is a job I must do myself as it is a huge job getting the lathe out from where it is.

issatree
12th March 2014, 12:08 AM
Hi Gary,
Do you do a lot of Green Wood Turning, was my 1st. thoughts.
Do you get a lot of Condensation, where the Lathe is positioned, as that may not be helping.
Can't think of anything else, other than a bad Paint Job by them.
Could you send them some really good close up Photos, along with it's No.
Well that's my 2sense worth.

ian thorn
12th March 2014, 08:07 PM
Just my 2 cents worth but if it was mine I would forget about the colour difference. lift the lathe up from the stand on blocks and check if the rust has gone between the 2 o t your Bunnings or 10 and get some rust Kill it turns rust into paint.

Ian

hughie
12th March 2014, 10:24 PM
The cast iron stand that the lathe sits on is showing signs of surface rust. Admittedly, it is positioned under a highset house but not enclosed in a room. However, I paid big money for this lathe which I purchased about 5 years ago, and I would have thought it would have been better finished to prevent rust. After all my Rodeo Ute is 14 years old and has no rust.

I have not complained to Vicmarc but did e-mail them to ask if they could supply me with a matching paint as I want to keep the lathe looking as authentic as possible.

This was their reply "If you live close by to us in Brisbane you could purchase some paint from us
however I doubt it would match in colour. We have since changed paint
supplier and the colour is slightly different. Unfortunately the only real
way of matching the paint would be to bring one of your parts e.g. Headstock
cover to a paint supplier and have them make the paint up for you. The
paint type is called hammer finish or hammer tone and is an enamel paint."

My question is should I tackle this problem in a hurry or do it when I get around to it? Is the rust going to do more damage in the short term? It is a job I must do myself as it is a huge job getting the lathe out from where it is.

Well leaving is an easy option. But as the song says 'rust never sleeps' so I would cleaning it up and re-paint, it may mean you have to re-paint in a different colour. But considering the money you out laid in the beginning its probably worth it.

Kidbee
13th March 2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Issatree, we had two very wet years here with a lot of moisture laden air. However, sitting beside my lathe is my Hammer bandsaw which shows no signs of rusting. I think that indicates that Vicmarc's painting job was below standard, which is a pity.

I will try to fix it myself as soon as possible.

Willy Nelson
14th March 2014, 12:04 AM
Kidbee, clearly you are not using the Vicmarc enough, allowing it rust. You must box it and freight it over to where I will give it a loving home, rust free by the sea in Perth.
Willy
expectant Vicmarc owner

rsser
14th March 2014, 02:17 PM
Hammertone goes on thick so if you want to touch up some pits then you need to 'fill' them with a small brush and several coats. Brush off loose rust first and treat with rust converter.

If you've got a lot to do and you want a top job you're looking at taking off all the existing paint.

Don't bother with hammertone spray.

I've found Vicmarc paint fairly brittle and easy to chip out with knocks from wood or tools.