PDA

View Full Version : Platter vs bowl

out of round
12th March 2014, 11:29 AM
Can someone give me a definition of a wooden platter vs a shallow wooden bowl?
Our club has a competition coming up for a platter so I would like to make sure my entry is seen as a platter not a shallow bowl.

chuck1
12th March 2014, 05:35 PM
I would class a platter as a maximum of 25 mm thick and would prefer thinner and diameter starting at 300 to 800 mm diameter.
but that's just my interpretation, last time I turned one it was 450 diameter and used friction chuck so I could have a big thin tennon to be used as the foot of platter

pommyphil
12th March 2014, 05:53 PM
Does the club not have a definition for it's comp ?

tea lady
12th March 2014, 05:55 PM
You could get the definition off the national wood turning comp rules. I think a platter has to be less than 50 mm thick.

Sturdee
12th March 2014, 08:22 PM
For the Australian Woodtuning Exhibition (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/Downloads/2014+AWTEX+Conditions+of+entry.pdf) a platter has to be

D – Platter : - A plate exceeding 300mm (280mm
for novice entrants) diameter with its height not
more than 1/10th the maximum diameter

Following these requirements you can't go wrong. :2tsup:

Peter.

Dalboy
12th March 2014, 09:42 PM
The problem being is that whom ever set the competition may have a different definition than any one on here, no disrespect to all the answers you may receive here.

So to make sure that you keep inside the "rules" of the club competition they are the ones to ask.

Not a lot of help I know but just a thought

Mulgabill
13th March 2014, 08:43 AM
out of round! My thoughts are that there is n real definitive definition of a platter regarding it's size and as you can see from the replies each have their own definition.
As a general rule I follow the AWEX definition as quoted by Sturdee, however, other organisations/competitions will have their own. In lack of any other definitions for your competition, as Sturdee said, you cannot go wrong by using the AWEX definition as a guide.

Drillit
13th March 2014, 09:06 AM
Rule for platters is 300x30mm. Otherwise bigger/smaller but deeper=bowl. Drillit.

Sturdee
13th March 2014, 06:29 PM
Can someone give me a definition of a wooden platter vs a shallow wooden bowl?
Our club has a competition coming up for a platter so I would like to make sure my entry is seen as a platter not a shallow bowl.

and

For the Australian Woodtuning Exhibition (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/Downloads/2014+AWTEX+Conditions+of+entry.pdf) a platter has to be
D – Platter : - A plate exceeding 300mm (280mm
for novice entrants) diameter with its height not
more than 1/10th the maximum diameter

and

The problem being is that whom ever set the competition may have a different definition than any one on here, no disrespect to all the answers you may receive here.

So to make sure that you keep inside the "rules" of the club competition they are the ones to as

I thought that when Out of round asked his question the club had yet to formulate their definitions and rules for their forthcoming competition. If they have, of course, he should follow them, else he would be wise to follow the Australian Woodturning Exhibition rules as they are the preeminent and only great competition in Australia.

It will also help him to discuss the rules with his committee when being formed.

He may also wish to enter the Australian Woodturning Exhibition himself with his platter, for entry is not limited to Victorians.

Peter.

powderpost
13th March 2014, 09:06 PM
He may also wish to enter the Australian Woodturning Exhibition himself with his platter, for entry is not limited to Victorians.
I can agree with that.
Jim

Tim the Timber Turner
14th March 2014, 07:53 AM
Rule for platters is 300x30mm. Otherwise bigger/smaller but deeper=bowl. Drillit.

Whose rule????

Certainly not a universal rule.

Cheers

Tim:)