PDA

View Full Version : Another session off filing

Simplicity
12th March 2014, 05:06 PM
After receiving an email from a forum member who shall remain nameless( fence furniture)
There was only one thing to do the bars ,goal ,posts has been moved once again .
So I took to an inercent piece of brass with all hell and furrier .
But there is more to come with this one.
The handle I've throw all caution to the wind gone right to the left side ,
And will be open to all speculation criticism .
This is WIP but thought I would post as I have not been here for a while 307218307219

DSEL74
12th March 2014, 10:20 PM
Well this could create some interesting discussion.

A Duke
12th March 2014, 10:22 PM
Very sinister
:wink:

Simplicity
12th March 2014, 10:34 PM
U are right there dale
My wife and nephew have all ready condemn it to junk pile
They think it will break
But I have a slight feeling it may survive due to the weakest point being in tension when sawing ???
But I could be wrong lol

planemaker
13th March 2014, 12:01 AM
Matt. I like what you have done with the shaping of the brass back, but I am not so keen with having the handle fitted in the inverted
position.

Stewie;

rob streeper
13th March 2014, 08:02 AM
How does it feel? Put some teeth on it and give it a try, then tell us how well it works. I like the idea of cutting the back from the bottom, that will work well with my folded backs. I've been wondering how to incorporate some fancy curves into the back similar to those shown in the pictures Ron Bontz recently posted.

orraloon
13th March 2014, 03:34 PM
Not afraid to be different. I like the spine.:2tsup: Dont know what to think about the handle but will be interested to see if it holds up. Just another bit of wood and some time if it does not make it.
Regards
John

Ron Bontz
13th March 2014, 04:20 PM
I do like it, indeed. I really like the fact you are thinking out side the box and not letting "Traditional design" dictate. You still need to consider the shearing forces acting on the tote, though. There are other considerations to shaping the spines as well. But that's pretty cool looking. I would file it, and put it in a till, just to mess with people. :o:D:D

After looking at it again, You could do something like the spine to the plate with teeth. Then call it "LSD", "Eaton With Acid" and frame it. Keep up the good work.

Simplicity
13th March 2014, 06:08 PM
Calling a gents saw LSD
Is that political correct lol

Ron Bontz
14th March 2014, 01:54 PM
probably not. But neither am I. Otherwise I would be making copies of vintage handles and using square plates. :D:D

Simplicity
14th March 2014, 08:23 PM
Well today I put to rest all speculation from my family and new wife and the greater community.
The handle has held up so far too a few cuts through some 70/35mm pine plus some memerbu and a scrap piece of she oak.i was deliberately trying not to go soft on it ,yet of course not just push it to break point either.
I filed it cross cut around 14tpi.
To me the handle fits comfortable it still needs to be finished of course.It feels fairly balanced to.
And the grain is boring !!
(Being natural blonde I can't remember what timber it is lol)
Surprisingly you can actually feel the handle spring ever so slightly.
When I mean slightly I'm talking maybe 1/2mm at max.
Now I know only time will really tell weather this holds up.
I am hoping so but I am biased naturally.
I am thinking I will do another one after I finish this one.
The brass back I am very happy with .
And on a note point regarding the brass backs ,I've been doing is there interest from here on me doing a photo write up on the next one .

rob streeper
18th March 2014, 12:13 PM
Sure, I'd like to see the process in pictures. Great idea.

Simplicity
19th March 2014, 06:15 PM
Hi Rob
That's a deal will promise
Just don't know when lol
I only at present get to play 3 out of four weekends at present no week days.
But will do a photo wright up soon

Ron Bontz
4th April 2014, 01:35 PM
Still waiting :)

Simplicity
4th April 2014, 06:27 PM
It's coming soon I promise
Maybe I should go in to politics lol

Christos
4th April 2014, 06:58 PM
It's coming soon I promise
Maybe I should go in to politics lol