PDA

View Full Version : Jig for rounding of dowel ends ?

Pestmaster
12th June 2005, 11:51 PM
I have the need to produce a number of pieces of dowel with rounded over ends. Ideally, I would think a job for a wood lathe. But I only own a table mounted router. Dimensions are approx 50mm(L) X 19mm(D) and I need to produce a nice roundover on the ends to give a professional finish to the pieces.
Any ideas for a jig to achieve this ?
Much appreciated for any replies
PestMaster

Sturdee
13th June 2005, 02:30 AM
Carbatec sells a rounding over set for rounding over various sized dowells to give the professional look you're after for approx $ 40.

Peter.

Pestmaster
13th June 2005, 12:46 PM
Peter,
thanks for the info. I'm not sure which one you mean, is it the adjustable roundover bit $49
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/public/basket.ehtml
My concern is how I can hold the small (2" pieces of 3/4" dowel) during the operation.
Gerry

David L
13th June 2005, 05:18 PM
If they are say 18mm dowels and long enough you could try a fence and a cove bit with bearing, in the router mounted in the table

David

David L
13th June 2005, 05:22 PM
PS
If you round each end of the dowel then cut to length you could safely make two at a time

Sturdee
13th June 2005, 05:47 PM
Peter,
thanks for the info. I'm not sure which one you mean, is it the adjustable roundover bit $49
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/public/basket.ehtml
My concern is how I can hold the small (2" pieces of 3/4" dowel) during the operation.
Gerry

Gerry, your link doesn't help me. But it is not a router bit but a set of 3 end rounder set (Cat. RO-SET) which is on page 55 of their current catalogue for $ 39.

It is a set of 3 for 13mm,19mm and 25mm size dowels. They are hand held and you use it like a pencil sharpener, works quite well and no danger with short pieces however I would do the round over first then cut to size.

Bought mine ages ago for less than $ 20 and are handy when needed.

Peter.

Pestmaster
13th June 2005, 08:45 PM
David L.
Yes, I've tried the fence, cove bit and bearing thing but as the pieces are only 2" long its not very safe to be doing the second end so close to the bit (need 2 ends rounded over). Thanks for your help though.

Peter.
Ah ha ... I didnt realise that it was a handheld device you were talking about, the roundover set (pencil sharpener) sounds exactly what I need, I'll be making a trip to Carbatec very soon.
Thanks for your help guys !!

soundman
13th June 2005, 11:57 PM
If you havn't alrerady solved you problem one solution is to start with a full length of dowel. Use a bearing guided round over in the table With the fence & maybe a block to hold the job against the fence. round the end Then cut it off to length. then go again.....
cheers

Pestmaster
14th June 2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks Soundman
But as I said in the post just above yours, I did try that but I need 2 ends rounded over and it gets a little exciting so close to the cutter when doing the second end. The pieces are only 2" long.
The hand held unit that Sturdee suggested sound ideal
Thanks anyway.

I am truly amazed at the generosity of all of the members on this board. Its amazing at the amount of collective knowledge that is stored in the archives. I know cos Ive solved many problems just with a simple search.
Thanks to all of the contributors.
Gerry
P.S. I also posted the same question on a woodworkers site in the states and havn't received a reply as yet. ..... Go the Aussies !!