PDA

View Full Version : OLD BURNERD CHUCK

morrisman
14th March 2014, 12:37 PM
Hi

My Sheraton 9 from the 1950's 60's came with its original 3 burnerd chucks..The teachers at the tech obviously didnt change chucks that often.. the two 5" 4 jaw chucks were not worn, but the little 4" 3 jaw was not that good . I just had a close look at the 3 jaw. the flats on the jaws that clamp the work, have Vgrooves worn into them.... I used a diamond plate and re profiled the flats backto flat ............hope it works OK :? i also gave the chuck a polish with a coarse then fine file and emery cloth.. it looks new again :2tsup: i plan to use this chuck on my Hall dividing head which is almost finished :)

nearnexus
14th March 2014, 01:44 PM
i plan to use this chuck on my Hall dividing head which is almost finished :)

I would have waited until it was fitted on the dividing head and THEN faced the jaws for accuracy.

Relatively easy to dial in chuck jaws with an oil stone and a test indicator.

Cheers

Rob

morrisman
14th March 2014, 07:35 PM
I would have waited until it was fitted on the dividing head and THEN faced the jaws for accuracy.

Relatively easy to dial in chuck jaws with an oil stone and a test indicator.

Cheers

Rob

Pic

bwal74
14th March 2014, 07:38 PM
How was making the Div head? I've just ordered the Dividing head book from The Book Depository. I hope its a good book. Your DH looks good.

Ben.

morrisman
14th March 2014, 08:53 PM
How was making the Div head? I've just ordered the Dividing head book from The Book Depository. I hope its a good book. Your DH looks good.

Ben.
Hi Ben

It is pretty straightforward . I altered the dimensions slightly from his drawings as I only had crap steel to play with and I milled it down to suit my needs .

It is mostly made from black hot rolled junk steel but it seems to have turned out reasonably well. I tried to make the spindle diam. and the bearings bore as close a tolerance as I could and it turned out good , it only needs the slightest pressure from the locking arm to lock the spindle in place . The gears are from my Sheraton , they have a 5/16" bore . I will cut the spindle nose with a 1 1/2"- 8 thread so I can use the chucks from the Sheraton lathe . This DH will be a useful accessory I feel . Mike