PDA

View Full Version : Another Machine inspection required, near Newcastle

Ueee
15th March 2014, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys,
As i said in RC's thread i am looking at a machine on the Central Coast. If there is a member near Newcastle that could have a look at a machine for me and take a few photo's that would be great. The owner does not have a digital camera so photo's have been an issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ewan

triden
16th March 2014, 07:39 PM
Hi Ewan,
If no one else comes forward i could take some pics for you. I am not a metal worker so i would not give opinions as to the state of the machine.
I am located on the North end of the Central Coast ( South of Newcastle )
Where is the machine located?
Cheers
Denis

Just read the other post. Central Coast is not the Mid North Coast

Jerms
17th March 2014, 07:18 PM
Ewan,
I May be able to take a look for you. Where about's is it?I'm located in Medowie, 30km north of Newcastle.

Regards

Jerms

Ueee
17th March 2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys,
NCArcher took some pics for me today....its looking good. Even have the boss on side:2tsup:

Just need to find out a few more things about it.

Cheers,
Ew

Ueee
18th March 2014, 11:04 AM
Well now i need to find even more space....

Its a Holbrook Model C no.10. 10"x20" "toolroom" lathe. TTA, quick retract cross slide, micrometer saddle and cross slide automatic stops etc. No single tooth dog clutch though. 60 position QCGB, Mod and DP cutting with change gears. Probably late 40's or early 50's vintage.

Cheers,
Ew

morrisman
18th March 2014, 11:39 AM

Its a Holbrook Model C no.10. 10"x20" "toolroom" lathe. TTA, quick retract cross slide, micrometer saddle and cross slide automatic stops etc. No single tooth dog clutch though. 60 position QCGB, Mod and DP cutting with change gears. Probably late 40's or early 50's vintage.

Cheers,
Ew

thats nice :2tsup: so that makes 5 lathes :p

Stustoys
18th March 2014, 11:41 AM

lol and they sat I have a problem :p

Stuart

Bryan
18th March 2014, 12:33 PM
Nice. Better send Tony some pictures once you get it cleaned up; I can't find your model there.
The only C model he has is the C8 with DC drive. What kind of drive is yours?

welder
18th March 2014, 12:45 PM
Well I guess gumtree works then aye :o

Ueee
18th March 2014, 01:11 PM
Nice. Better send Tony some pictures once you get it cleaned up; I can't find your model there.
The only C model he has is the C8 with DC drive. What kind of drive is yours?

Hi Bryan, i have tried to contact Tony on several occasions but he has never replied to me.
The drive is a 3 speed (2,4 and 6 pole) 3 phase motor, 2 speed double multi plate clutch gearbox (the gears are always engaged, and neutral position also operates the brake) then a flat belt drive to the head which has a helical back gear running in an oil bath. Plain bearing spindle with 12 speeds from 23-2000rpm.

Well I guess gumtree works then aye :o

You saw the add then...Yes i put a wanted add on gumtree, not really expecting anything to come of it. I nearly fell over when i had a reply, and it was almost the perfect lathe. I'd really like a roller bearing (Gamet) version of the same machine, as they have a 3000rpm top speed. Since they are pretty hard to come by though i'm not going to push my luck waiting for one!
The base on this one is actually aluminium, they made some like this after WW2 when there was lots of scrap aluminium lying around in the form of shot down planes. Despite the ally base it still weighs over a ton.

Ew

Ueee
9th April 2014, 02:17 PM
After yesterdays 920km round trip i now have the lathe in the shed. It is heavier than i was expecting, even with the ally base its probably north of 1200kg.
It seems to be in good condition mostly, the oil in it is all clean, its just been sitting in a pigeon infested shed for a long time and needs a good clean.

Ew

NCArcher
9th April 2014, 02:45 PM
Sorry I couldn't get there yesterday Ewan. Glad to see you got it home safely.
I've seen it but all these other hangers on will need some photos :D Or it didn't happen.