PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum - Looking for advice on Timber Frame Construction for backyard Studio

comdotski
16th March 2014, 12:25 PM
Hi all

My name is Tim and I am new to the forum today.

I'm joining to get some advice on a project to build a standalone studio in my backyard - from the foundations up!

I'm planning on using timber for most of the project - apart from stumps and the roof.

Could someone please provide a guide as to the best sub-forum(s) to post to or browse for this?

Regards

Tim

Master Splinter
16th March 2014, 02:46 PM
The best way to get a full overview is pop down to Bunnies and hit the books section - specifically the Alan Staines books on building. A pretty decent overview, well illustrated, and pretty up to date.

And the Renovate Forums are the ones for building advice.

http://www.renovateforum.com/forum.php

JJF
17th March 2014, 06:54 AM
welcome aboard

tdrumnut
17th March 2014, 08:32 AM
Great to have you aboard Tim.

old1955
17th March 2014, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the forum Tim.

DaveTTC
17th March 2014, 06:15 PM
Welcome aboard,

90 x 35 mgp 10 is most common, depending on your cladding either 600 centres or 450 centres.

I'll check out if you hit the other forum - you will get heaps of advice over there

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

crowie
17th March 2014, 09:49 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Tim".
There are members from across this wide brown land and across the rest of the world.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
You're already receiving some but may I suggest you do a thread in one of the more specific sub-sections for a wider audience...
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork & new studio.....
Cheers, crowie

Perfect Pens
18th March 2014, 12:10 AM
Welcome Tim,

Looks like you are already on the way to getting some good feedback :) welcome to our great forums enjoy:).

Cheers
Tony.

Christos
18th March 2014, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. I might suggest that you take a look at this sub-forum and even post a question.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245