PDA

View Full Version : Easter eggs.

tea lady
16th March 2014, 06:40 PM
Kinda tricky to get the shape just right. Playing with all the bits of wood that aren't quite right for a lidded box or something else.

She oak, blackwood, sugar gum. red gum, spalted myrtle, oak, walnut, other ones I can't remember. Will make a jig to hold them to finish the other end.

chuck1
16th March 2014, 07:07 PM
very nice! did you turn a dozen?? free range!

smiife
16th March 2014, 07:15 PM
Hi T.L.
I think they are eggscellent:U
sorry just could not help myself
what timber is the first one the reddy
one?
Well done they are looking good:cool:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

tea lady
16th March 2014, 07:19 PM
Hi T.L.
I think they are eggscellent:U
sorry just could not help myself
what timber is the first one the reddy
one?
Well done they are looking good:cool:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:The first one in the chuck? She oak. Nice isn't it. :D

Mobyturns
16th March 2014, 08:16 PM
Very nice work TL. :2tsup:

Interesting that you do the blunt end at the tailstock end and part off at the pointy end. I do mine the other way around, only because that is the way I was shown I guess, though I find it more forgiving to refine the blunt end last.

Tim the Timber Turner
16th March 2014, 09:56 PM

Interesting that you do the blunt end at the tailstock end and part off at the pointy end. I do mine the other way around, only because that is the way I was shown I guess, though I find it more forgiving to refine the blunt end last.

I have always been an admirer of refined blunt ends:2tsup:

To get a really smooth blunt end, I recommend polishing it with 800 grit paper.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Tim:)

powderpost
16th March 2014, 11:28 PM
I have always been an admirer of refined blunt ends:2tsup: :o
You sure you are talking about eggs?

Jim

RETIRED
17th March 2014, 12:13 PM
Tut Tut boys.:rolleyes:

tea lady
17th March 2014, 03:50 PM

I had done blunt end at the head stock before, but my reasoning this time is that the pointy end will stick out more in the Jig I am making to finish it. :shrug: I am finding I can make a nicer blunt curve like this too.

turnerted
17th March 2014, 04:26 PM
Nice eggs TL.I do mine the same way round as you.As you said,you get more sticking out of the chuck.In my case a vacuum chuck.
Ted

Tim the Timber Turner
17th March 2014, 07:19 PM
:o
You sure you are talking about eggs?

Of course Jim

What were you thinking of??:?

I would guess your preference would be for the pointy ends.??:;

Cheers

Tim:)

tea lady
17th March 2014, 08:46 PM
Nice eggs TL.I do mine the same way round as you.As you said,you get more sticking out of the chuck.In my case a vacuum chuck.
Ted:think: vaccuum chuck for my birthday this year I reckon. Perhaps a very early b'day pressy? :D

cookie48
17th March 2014, 09:00 PM
Tea Lady.
Are you getting clucky?????:oo:

Dalboy
18th March 2014, 09:23 AM
A good clutch of eggs

:think: vaccuum chuck for my birthday this year I reckon. Perhaps a very early b'day pressy? :D

Wishful thinking maybe

TTIT
19th March 2014, 10:56 PM
I had done blunt end at the head stock before, but my reasoning this time is that the pointy end will stick out more in the Jig I am making to finish it. :shrug: I am finding I can make a nicer blunt curve like this too.I know a bloke thats made a few eggs :think: - you could finish them off in a chuck like he uses (http://www.ttit.id.au/eggpage/eggmain.htm#Chuck) :B:;

issatree
20th March 2014, 11:41 AM
Hi TL.
I like making Eggs, but I like the " Pointy " end on the T/Stock end, as I can do a better job of cutting the Egg off with my 12 x 3mm. Long Beveled Skew, & then it is only a matter of a few rubs with Sandpaper to finish the Egg.
I use a bit of Glow & my Down Buff Wheel, all finished.
As per usual, I Sign My Work, with Date & Wood as well.
If only I could get those Photos up I wood be able to show them.

Evanism
20th March 2014, 12:48 PM
I know a bloke thats made a few eggs :think: - you could finish them off in a chuck like he uses (http://www.ttit.id.au/eggpage/eggmain.htm#Chuck) :B:;

This is eggsactly the link I was thinking of when this thread popped up.

But you recon I could find it....no! Good stuff.

Such a timely project!

Regarding this bloke making a "few" eggs, if I remember right he had absolutely hundreds in some sort of cabinet, he went mad with egg making.

tea lady
20th March 2014, 05:53 PM
I made a chuck involving nuts and bolts, but it takes to long to undo and do up again. Made a pipe fitting one ages ago. Its in the old shed at the ex's house. :hmm: Might have to go and find it.

Willy Nelson
22nd March 2014, 09:35 AM
I know a bloke thats made a few eggs :think: - you could finish them off in a chuck like he uses (http://www.ttit.id.au/eggpage/eggmain.htm#Chuck) :B:;

Took your time Vern, wondered when you would appear with sage advice regarding the finer points of egg turning.
She oak = Sheoak
Willy

Mobyturns
23rd March 2014, 04:31 AM
Keith Rowley in one of his books has an egg cup chuck design, no threads, couplings or fidly nuts or screws & no dangerous bl**dy hose clamps :oo: - relies upon a simple jamb chuck design. Only drawback, you need to be able turn eggs within a reasonable tolerance for diameter. :rolleyes: If I can find mine I will post a photo.

tea lady
26th March 2014, 07:04 PM
Keith Rowley in one of his books has an egg cup chuck design, no threads, couplings or fidly nuts or screws & no dangerous bl**dy hose clamps :oo: - relies upon a simple jamb chuck design. Only drawback, you need to be able turn eggs within a reasonable tolerance for diameter. :rolleyes: If I can find mine I will post a photo.I guess if you do them in assending diameter you could shave it down for the next size up. :hmm: Might even be quicker than undoing the nuts and bolts. :think:

Jonzjob
28th March 2014, 05:21 AM
Those are looking good lass! I always do mine between centers and haven't had any trouble that way. You just have a bit of hand sanding to refine both ends :D I do my balls the same way :C

I had a commision a load of years back. 5 dozen. A dozen each of 5 sizes from Kestrel to Golder Eagle! They were for the Falconary Centre, Newent in the Forest of Dean U.K. Payement was £70, a 6" diameter 5 foot log of yew and a 5" diameter 5 foot log of holly that had both been used in the centers shop for displays for about 10 years. The eggs were swopped for the real jobs so that the birds wouldn't get stressed when their eggs were lifted and put in the incubator to hatch..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Eggs.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Eggs.jpg.html)

I always said that if I had the chance to do it again I would leg it and hide bleedin quick :o:o 2 bottles of gin and the one of tonic later and was was normal again? Well, as normal as I ever get?

issatree
28th March 2014, 09:18 AM
Hi Again,
The simplest Egg Holder I have seen was the Rubber Coupling that is used in the Toilet.
( Of course you use a new one , Ha Ha.)
It is made up of 2 Sizes, & from memory, you Turn a piece of Wood to take the bigger Hole. The small end just holds the Egg perfectly, to do the last bit of sanding of the Turned Egg. The Rubber is about 4mm. thick, & by twisting the Egg it will go in quite easy.
You also nee to put a hole through the wood, just in case the Egg sticks.

Paul39
29th March 2014, 05:53 AM
issatree,

Do you mean these?

http://www.fernco.com/img/products/plumbing/flexible-couplings/flexible-couplings-stock/flexible-couplings-stock-main.jpg

Thanks for the idea.

issatree
29th March 2014, 05:54 PM
Hi Paul39,
Yes, that is the type of Item that I have.
Our Aussie ones have a Square Corner, but I think they wood do the job.
Good Idea wood be to take an Egg with you so you get the right size.

Certainly don't want the Lathe going to fast, as after all it is only Rubber, as I did not use the Clamp, but it worked well.

tea lady
29th March 2014, 06:37 PM
My eggs are all different sizes cos of the wood I started with so I need a flexable holding system not just one diameter.