PDA

View Full Version : My First Lathe - Is this worth it - Craftmaster CWL-1000s

pwatt01
17th March 2014, 03:02 PM
Hello all,

An acquaintance of mine has moved to a retirement village and is wanting to sell his old lathe. He is asking $500 for a Craftmaster CWL-1000s with a brand new set of chisels + 2 chuck ( a small and big one) + GMC dust collector. I have not seem it as it is interstate, but can be assured that it has been well kept etc.

I have always wanted to learn to turn but right now have no idea if this is good or not. Can anyone let me know if they think that it is worth it? For a reference, I think that that is the same model http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Craftmaster-Wood-Turning-Lathe-4-speed-1200mm-bed-length-/161200726078?nma=true&si=7%252FsjyKGVFbgksqQeJFEqvHqDV1M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and i think that this is the dust collector, but I am not 100% sure http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=40137

I guess what I am really asking is for a beginner/DIY is it worth it, or is it better to spend less money on something smaller/cheaper/more modern?

Thanks

artme
17th March 2014, 04:31 PM
The lathe would make a good boat anchor.

Tim the Timber Turner
17th March 2014, 04:55 PM
The lathe would make a good boat anchor.

But only for a small dingy.

fozz
17th March 2014, 04:57 PM
For starters could you tell us where abouts in Australia you are?

_fly_
17th March 2014, 05:38 PM
For starters could you tell us where abouts in Australia you are?

Whats his location got to do with answering his question?

Answer to the question, not really. I have one of those lathes and got it new for 120 on ebay a few years ago.
At 500 he's basically asking you to pay close (maybe 80%) of full retail for it depending on the chucks.

DaveTTC
17th March 2014, 05:58 PM
I would not touch that lathe for anything more than $50

Look around at auctions and clearing sales, you'll get a much better deal. The only think that might make it a winner is if it is top quality chisels and chucks. Then I would be buying for the them and sell the lathe

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
17th March 2014, 06:00 PM
you want to get something with a 2 Morse Taper in the headstock and tail stock preferably.

I echo fozz - "where abouts are you?"

If you are anywhere near me you can come over to my place and have a play ... I have 3 lathes set up you can play with.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Tim the Timber Turner
17th March 2014, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=_fly_;1757839]What's his location got to do with answering his question? QUOTE]

If we knew whereabouts he lived someone might take him under their wing and guide him in his early days of turning.

pwatt01 if you live near Adelaide I would be happy to spend some time and help you and answer any questions.

Cheers Tim:)

fozz
17th March 2014, 07:15 PM
Whats his location got to do with answering his question?:doh:

Well Fly, if I knew where he lived I was going to offer the same deal as Dave, come and try my lathes and at least give him an idea of what to expect for what price.:doh3: Also being a member of a woodturning club that is closely affiliated with half a dozen other clubs I had thought that if he lived in Melbourne a better lathe may have been sourced for a much better price.

I really do hope that clears things up for you.:saythat:

As to the OP's question, if the set of chisels and the two chucks and dusty are worth the asking price then buy it and use the lathe for something else, as mentioned, boat anchor or attach a face plate and use it for sanding.

Regards,

Ross.

pwatt01
18th March 2014, 01:39 PM
Hello all!

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to not get it, as I don't have a small dingy needing an anchor :U nor do i really need high quality chisels at this current time. As for my location, I am in Melbourne at the moment (Williams Landing, in the SW) though will be moving to Adelaide (Morphett Vale) in the end of April. Thank you for all those offers to come around and have a look your toys. I will gladly take up your offers if time permits before my move (or afterwards in Adelaide) :-)

Thanks

DaveTTC
18th March 2014, 03:33 PM
High end quality chisels are always a bonus ...

If your ever driving to Syndey or southern NSW look us up in Jerilderie

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

robert brown
19th March 2014, 12:24 AM
Hi Pwat01..If You Are Interested You Could Come To My Workshop. I Live In Laverton. Send A P/M. ROBERT.