PDA

View Full Version : Moving a lathe

daryl1
21st March 2014, 08:20 AM
I need to move my Vicmarc 200 from a storage shed at Virginia, Brisbane to a house in Nudgee approximately 5 km away. The driveway at the house is elevated from the road. Does anyone know of a business who is equipped to move lathes on the north side of Brisbane. Removalists won't touch it. Appreciate your advice

dabbler
21st March 2014, 11:04 AM
Storage people don't have a list of movers or are they too focussed on household contents ?

Vicmarc is close enough to you, do they have a recommendation ?

DSEL74
21st March 2014, 11:44 AM
Google "Machinery Movers" there should be one in your area.

Jim Carroll
21st March 2014, 12:05 PM
I used a tray truck like they move cars on.

He was able to wrap a strap around the lathe and drag onto the tray.

We put down some plywood to assist in the moving.

When it came to the other end we let gravity help and slid of the truck

Kidbee
21st March 2014, 01:52 PM
I bolted two 100 x 100 rails to the base and then put wheels on with 12 mm coach screws. Nobody wanted to do it for me as I had to go down a flight of stairs as well.

fozz
21st March 2014, 05:06 PM
Four strong guys, a ute, slab of xxxx and a BBQ, too easy :2tsup:......................sorry, wished I could help, had recent experience of moving a heavy lathe, not easy.

Christos
21st March 2014, 05:44 PM
Four strong guys, a ute, slab of xxxx and a BBQ, too easy.......

I vote for five strong guys, one spare. :U

The Hun
21st March 2014, 10:13 PM
When I bought my Vicmarc 300 (short model) off ebay, my brother and I moved it

We are not small - both over 190cm and 100 kgs - but also both over 50!

But the key was taking it apart - tail stock is self evident, but the rest came apart very easy. Headstock and bed not light but manageable.

Best wishes and good luck

Peter

Mobyturns
22nd March 2014, 07:11 AM
Simple low cost option if you have a suitable trailer or can hire one and some sturdy planks. Make a set of dolly wheels - 50 x 6mm flat mild steel and four nylon casters. I roll my Woodfast M908 around all the time on these. If you have rough ground to cross just beef up the wheels.
The Woodfast also ends up at Prossy turnout in the back of an Toyota 80 series LC wagon, by removing lathe bed from cabinet - only six bolts - slide lathe bed onto some 200 x 19 pine to one side (slides easily) - then lift cabinet in. Easily acomplished by a 56yo with assistance from 70+ yo Melbourne visitor! :) Take off the tailstock & banjo makes it lighter again. I can actually do it by myself but easier with two. :D

Other option is go to the hire places like Kennards or Force and hire one of their small machinery trailers - already have ramps and often a winch.

Another option is forklifts - plenty of small businesses that cart a small forklift around on a trailer behind a truck or like the turf suppliers one of the three wheeled forks that hook up under the tray on the rear of the truck.

Tim the Timber Turner
22nd March 2014, 09:05 AM
A phone call to a paving supply company got me an instant response.

Truck rolled up with forklift on the back.

5 minutes for the lift.

A slab of beer for payment.

Done deal.

Cheers Tim:)