PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Groundfloor ...Help Ideas & 1 other ?

LadyDIY
14th June 2005, 02:12 AM
We're thinking of purchasing an old house that has verandah's closed in.
Under the house has also been closed in as living space.

The house needs some major street appeal improvement. It looks a bit box-y, but it is the proverbial worst house in the best street.

I would love to re-open the front verandah (north facing) but fear this will create rain/wet issues downstairs.

Is there a way around this?
I've thought of extending a smaller verandah say 1.5 wider out again to give the open verandah and downstairs rain protection and add street appeal.

Next question similarly related..
The house has no eves. The roof is a bull nose shape but not in the true bull nose style. Does this creat many water issues with leakage inside. I've seen heaps of this style roof around in older homes but no personal experience.

Thanks people.

Theremin
14th June 2005, 02:06 PM
Check out my post in this thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=14341

LadyDIY
15th June 2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks Theremin, I did a search before posting my question but didn't quite know what to search for and so didn't come up with a satisfactory answer.

In my situation, unless someone comes up with a better solution, I think I will go with the added 1.5m verandah for the street appeal. I thought I was up the ditch because of the 6m set back from the boundary, but I've today spoken to the council and it seems it is possible because it wil be an open verandah.

More costly in the long run but should pay for itself in added street appeal value on re-sale.

ian
16th June 2005, 12:19 AM
Ask yourself what are you trying to achieve?

Are you looking to do a restoration job but retain the under house living space?
If so, I'd be inclined to open out the closed-in verandahs, rip up the floors and install a fibre cement subflour (with sealed joints) on which I'd install a traditional verandah flooring.

Or are you looking to remake the house with a view to making a capital gain on resale?
If so, then I'd be inclined to knock the old house down and start again. Given how you've described the house, you've most probably paid only a fraction more than land value and any changes you make — including a major gutting and new internal fitout — is unlikely to show a return much greater than the land appreciation.

Ian

LadyDIY
16th June 2005, 01:08 PM
Ask yourself what are you trying to achieve?

Are you looking to do a restoration job but retain the under house living space?

Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply. Trying to achieve option 1.
Keeping the living space under and also restore the home. I just happen to love the charm of older houses, I will be only adding what I need for comfort and keeping most of it as is but adding some original features more for charm and appeal.

I'd be inclined to open out the closed-in verandahs, rip up the floors and install a fibre cement subflour (with sealed joints) on which I'd install a traditional verandah flooringThanks for that suggestion, sounds like a good one and what I was hoping someone would say could be done.

Appreciated.