PDA

View Full Version : NOVA 3000 - motor issues

DaveTTC
28th March 2014, 05:42 PM
G'day all, might be ready to cry!!!!! I think my baby is about to die.

Was using it yesterday and thought I could smell some electrical burning smell but nothing to bad, could have been coming from anywhere.

Then today I was turning a burl and -SNIFF SNIFF - something did not seem right. Then my burl flew out the window at whatever the next speed is over 1000 rmp. Went out and retrieved my burl and noticed smoke coming from the moter housing near the bottom

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/5u6a4una.jpg

I did not really make out whether is was coming from the box on the back or the motor near the base of the box. Im thinking maybe the box.

Any obvious things to check ... am I up for a new motor.

240 volt single phase in Australia btw

If I am up for a new motor may as well go variable speed.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
28th March 2014, 06:07 PM
was not sure to put this under woodturning or another section, maybe mods can shift if there is a better place. Thanks

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

NCArcher
28th March 2014, 06:12 PM
That big box on the side of the motor is where the capacitors are Dave. Take the lid off that and I'mm guessing you'll see a melted capacitor. Easy and cheap to replace.

DJ’s Timber
28th March 2014, 06:28 PM
Are you going to the uBeaut do tomorrow? If so take the head off the bed and one of us can check it out for you, as NCArcher said, it sounds like it could be the capacitor.

DaveTTC
28th March 2014, 06:39 PM
Are you going to the uBeaut do tomorrow? If so take the head off the bed and one of us can check it out for you, as NCArcher said, it sounds like it could be the capacitor.

I cant make it sadly

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

chuck1
28th March 2014, 06:41 PM
similar thing happened to my drill press and it cost $30 for the New capacitor.

DaveTTC
28th March 2014, 06:59 PM
Man you guys are great
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/zuja3upa.jpg
It was that top white thing
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/py2utemu.jpg
Will they have any at IGA
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/2anyre9u.jpg
anyone passing Jerilderie with a spare over the weekend?

How much are theyhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/pyvuvebe.jpg

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DJ’s Timber
28th March 2014, 07:11 PM
Should be able to pick one up for about $30 or $40

DaveTTC
28th March 2014, 07:17 PM
Where would I get one. My town only has a pop of about 800. Thinking I may need to look else where.

And the big question. What causes them to burn like this

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

NCArcher
28th March 2014, 07:51 PM
Capacitors on lathes burn out from not enough turning. You need to exercise them to keep them healthy :D Not really. They just go. They are sort of like a switch, turning on and off all the time. Actually charging and discharging and they just wear out.
A motor repair place, often refrigeration mechanics will have them on hand or even an irrigation place that sells a lot of pumps might be worth a try. If you're not in a hurry there are plenty on eBay.
You need an 8 mico farad, motor run capacitor rated at 400V.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-MOTOR-RUN-CAPACITOR-8UF-450VAC-2920602-/251146936009?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3a79861ec9&_uhb=1

NCArcher
28th March 2014, 07:55 PM
Oh and sorry to mess up your variable speed plans :q

RETIRED
28th March 2014, 08:44 PM
Oh and sorry to mess up your variable speed plans :qand so you should be!!!:D

DaveTTC
28th March 2014, 10:31 PM
Lol. $30 bucks sounds a lot cheaper than variable speed. Thanks. I'm glad t is that simple. Just had my woodturners club meeting tonight and on my way home now.

I presume the pins are always in the same order and I just put the wires back the way they came off

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

NCArcher
28th March 2014, 10:37 PM
Yep

tore
29th March 2014, 12:05 PM
Here is one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8uf-Multi-Purpose-NEW-RUN-CAPACITOR-suit-240v-Motors-/200799539488?pt=AU_ApplianceAccessoriesParts&hash=item2ec095d120
Just make sure it inside the box

DaveTTC
29th March 2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks tore and everyone else

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

robbygard
29th March 2014, 02:09 PM
Where would I get one. My town only has a pop of about 800. Thinking I may need to look else where.

And the big question. What causes them to burn like this

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

autoelectrician is another option

regards david

DaveTTC
31st March 2014, 11:26 AM
My baby lives

$11 & one capacitor later and she runs like new to me. Happy days have returned. Time to turn a bowl

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

dabbler
31st March 2014, 12:23 PM
Three days. That was quick. It sounds like IGA has a refrigeration unit in need of a capacitor that has strangely gone missing.

Fess up. Where did you find one so quickly ?

DaveTTC
31st March 2014, 01:26 PM
Three days. That was quick. It sounds like IGA has a refrigeration unit in need of a capacitor that has strangely gone missing.

Fess up. Where did you find one so quickly ?

did you see me in the act .... ?

Hope you deleted the surveillance for me.

In all seriousness - thought I'd ask the local sparky. He lives out of town but has his business in town. Went there first thing this morning as I was not able to get him in time Friday and he is not in over the weekend.

He had rows of the things 5's 10's 20's 50's (what ever those measurement thingies are)

I needed an 8. He said "Oh I dont seem to have one" ... to right he didn't, not after I pulled the last one out of the 5's pile.

All good now ... one happy chappy

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

issatree
1st April 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi Dave,
Try an Electrical Wireman, they just may have one.
Or.
Just go for the VSD.

DaveTTC
1st April 2014, 01:26 PM
Hi Dave,
Try an Electrical Wireman, they just may have one.
Or.
Just go for the VSD.

Got it fixed thanks issa. Would have loved to have gone the variable speed but when I could fix it for $11 and had to break I to the kids money box even for that .....

$11 was the fix

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Drillit
1st April 2014, 03:57 PM
Dave,
Look at it this way....another $960 ish and you have an EVS..way to go....you will want to sleep with it (nearly). Drillit.

DaveTTC
1st April 2014, 04:08 PM
Dave,
Look at it this way....another $960 ish and you have an EVS..way to go....you will want to sleep with it (nearly). Drillit.

I'd have to raid every kids money box in Jerilderie to raise that.

I do love on the Newel Hwy. maybe I can install a pay both and boom gate out the front of the house.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Treecycle
1st April 2014, 10:18 PM
I do love on the Newel Hwy.

That could raise a bit of money:doh:

DaveTTC
1st April 2014, 10:38 PM
Whoops that was meant to be 'live' on the Newel. Had not taken to selling myself yet

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art