PDA

View Full Version : New Member

pau1
14th June 2005, 02:43 PM
Hi all, just joined and thought I'd say hello. A little background history: Grew up in country Vic on a Dairy Farm. Moved to Melbourne and did an IT degree, now work in IT. I have always been interested in Woodwork and building things but have lived in a flat since moving to Melbourne and haven't had a workshop/shed/any room at all :( Finally bought a house with a nice big shed , so I'm now looking forward to many hours of workshop pleasure:).

My shed.

keith53
14th June 2005, 03:18 PM
Welcome Paul. There's certainly no better way to get rid of the day's pressures by getting out into the shed.. I love the smell of sawdust that hits me every time I open mine. Yours looks like it'll be able to hold quite a bit of gear. You'll find plenty of people here with advice on what to buy and how to use it...:)

Cheers,
Keith

Jack E
14th June 2005, 05:52 PM
G'day paul,

Have you ordered your TSC10HB yet?
You will also need a cyclone and a bucket load of planes :) :)

Jack.

Wood Borer
14th June 2005, 06:29 PM
Welcome Pau1,

Gee another woodworker from the bush! Another IT person!

I'm from a farm originally also but I don't work in IT like many others on the BB.

You've done the right thing getting a house with a shed. Now you won't be able to get up the bush on the weekends and assist with the early milking. :rolleyes: I suggest buying some tools will help you get over that dilemna.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Gumby
14th June 2005, 06:32 PM
Nice house Paul, how about posting a pic of the shed ;)

JDarvall
14th June 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi........ I'm quite new to this site too........see you've got the hang of those 'smiles'.......personally I feel a little silly using them, but I'll eventually get over it.........probably quite important though........I mean, for example, telling someone to get stuffed with a smile on your face would be completely different to saying it with a frown, hey ;) .........

Anyhow, welcome paul, looking forward to seeing good things from that shed....

Harry72
14th June 2005, 11:03 PM
Nice house Paul, how about posting a pic of the shed ;) Thats what I was going to say!

Harry72
14th June 2005, 11:05 PM
Oh and welcome Paul.

Peter36
14th June 2005, 11:12 PM
Hi........ I'm quite new to this site too........see you've got the hang of those 'smiles'.......personally I feel a little silly using them, but I'll eventually get over it.........probably quite important though........I mean, for example, telling someone to get stuffed with a smile on your face would be completely different to saying it with a frown, hey ;) .........

Anyhow, welcome paul, looking forward to seeing good things from that shed....As long as you smile you can get away with heaps :D :D:D

Happy woodworking Paul

Peter

gatiep
14th June 2005, 11:13 PM
Welcome on board Paul. Hope you have a good ride on here and enjoy working at it, whatever IT is.....:).

Enjoy your nice big shed because before long it will be a too small crammed space, like all woodworkers have.

Wayne Davy
14th June 2005, 11:14 PM
Welcome aboard!!

(I've got serious Shed envy)

BobR
14th June 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Paul and welcome. A new house and you think you will have money to fit out the shed. Either you or SWMBO are in for a shock :D .

pau1
15th June 2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Looks like a really good forum with heaps of helpful people on board.

Nice house Paul, how about posting a pic of the shed ;)
Gumby funny you said that, apparently the original owners built the shed then lived it it while they built the house, so it's got lots of windows and doors etc. Not too bad a place for me to sleep when SWMBO kicks me out :p The original owners built the house and lived in it till they moved into a retirement home. Lots of history....lots of bad decor, the kitchen is 7 different shades of green.

Welcome on board Paul. Hope you have a good ride on here and enjoy working at it, whatever IT is.....
If I ever figure IT out I'll be sure to tell someone. I should have kept to milking cows, IT can be very frustrating sometimes. :)

A new house and you think you will have money to fit out the shed. Either you or SWMBO are in for a shockWhere do you live Bob? I might need a bed, just spoke to SWMBO about the new TSC10-HB that I will need...... Actually I inherited a few hand tools from my grandfather and my father is giving me his Old work bench from the farm(it's got a really old big Record wood vice attached) not much but it's a start. Comming from a farm with heaps of room to work and construct/destruct I'm just happy to finally have space to build again. I actually built a nice baltic pine kitchen table for my parents in the living room at the old flat. I don't think SWMBO was impressed, or the landlord for that matter!:D

Thanks again for the welcome. I've already got a thousand questions for all you knowledgable gentlemen and ladies....I'm assuming there are a few lovely ladies on here as well ;)

zenwood
15th June 2005, 06:01 AM
In the words of Hatori Hanzo: "Welcome, Welcome!"

And it's very cheeky to introduce yourself with such a droolicious shed. Now post a pic of some woodwork!:D

And yes, there are ladies present. Ruffly? Jill?

NewLou
15th June 2005, 09:03 AM
Gidday M8 WELCOME!!!

I better slap the traditional initiation ceremony on ya!!!

Bbbwwarrrrrrrrrrrhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

http://www.ubeaut.biz/chainsaw.gif

REgards Lou

RufflyRustic
15th June 2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Paul1, Welcome to the best Wood Forum around, the perfect place for lots of support, ideas, laughs and thanks to New Lou, a bit of chainsawing too :D .

I'm one of the Ladies here and also happen to work in IT as well. Totally agree that IT is very frustrating, sorry, fascinating sometimes :rolleyes: Thank Goodness for this forum and Wood!!!

Love your shed, I too am having a serious case of Shed Envy.

Can't wait to hear your tales of setting it up and see the pictures of your work.

cheers
RufflyRustic aka Wendy

ozwinner
15th June 2005, 06:51 PM
What is it with all you nerds, and wood??

BTW Lou, your chainsaw is running backwards.

Al :confused:

Harry72
15th June 2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah its funny that, us (non puter nerds!) workers are far and few between here Oz...

RufflyRustic
16th June 2005, 09:35 AM
What is it with all you nerds, and wood??
Al :confused:
Hi Al,
Wood beats intangible 1's & 0's any day, but we need the 1's & 0's to pay for the wood and anything wood-related. The 1's & 0's can disappear after turning off the pc, wood doesn't. :)

cheers
RufflyRustic

Jill
16th June 2005, 03:36 PM
Welcome, Paul,

I can't claim IT as my inspiration for woodworking, since I can only drive this pc enough to do the basics. My inspiration perhaps is that I grew up on a cattle/grain station in CQ, and am land hungry...I am happy to help build the house, build the furniture myself, etc. to have MORE LAND - and the cattle, pigs, sheep, etc. to go with it!

BTW - love that shed of yours - and looking forward to seeing pics of your fit-out & your work!

Cheers,

Jill

ozwinner
16th June 2005, 07:56 PM
....I'm assuming there are a few lovely ladies on here as well ;)
You bet sweetie.....http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/xerx/smileybreasts.gif

Al http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/love/love.gif

pau1
16th June 2005, 08:02 PM
You bet sweetie.....http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/xerx/smileybreasts.gif

Al http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/love/love.gif
I think I'm in Love:p

Ashore
16th June 2005, 08:20 PM
, Lots of history....lots of bad decor, the kitchen is 7 different shades of green.

Hi paul and welcome
And lucky you 7 shades of green, when we moved into our present home 20 years ago there were only 2 shades of green
1 was the carpet through the entire house and the other was every wall , including the oak fireplace, mirrors & leadlight above the fireplace which had been covered by a sheet of hardboard (painted Green) the hearth tiles removed and an oil heater installed
I Just love green and your comment brought back such memories

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

pau1
16th June 2005, 10:27 PM
Hi paul and welcome
I Just love green and your comment brought back such memories

A pic to help the nostalgia..

Jill
17th June 2005, 11:25 AM
Nice, Paul - maybe you should move into the shed, and turn this into a decent workshop - look at all that room! Just need a bit of non-green paint & some timber around and it would look great!

Jill

Iain
17th June 2005, 12:04 PM
A pic to help the nostalgia..
That evoked some bloody awful memories of one of the houses we renovated outside Shepparton.
This is our ninth now and SWMBO thinks I enjoy it, last one dear, last one.
Welcome aboard, which side of Australias favourite capital( :p ) are you on?

adrian
17th June 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi all, just joined and thought I'd say hello. A little background history: Grew up in country Vic on a Dairy Farm. Moved to Melbourne and did an IT degree, now work in IT. I have always been interested in Woodwork and building things but have lived in a flat since moving to Melbourne and haven't had a workshop/shed/any room at all :( Finally bought a house with a nice big shed , so I'm now looking forward to many hours of workshop pleasure:).

My shed.
Welcome to the board.
What is it about us IT people and woodwork? It's like the link between old bass players and saxophones in later life. I guess it's all about contrast.
If you want to get a lot of help from some very knowledgeable people, you've joined the right forum.

pau1
17th June 2005, 02:35 PM
which side of Australias favourite capital( :p ) are you on?East Side of Melbourne. BTW I grew up in Numurkah. You may have heard of it:p

Iain
18th June 2005, 10:01 AM
We used to have a place at Invergordon, our GP was in Numurkah and would go there for lunch at one of the pubs although I forget which one.
Used to buy heaps of cleanskins from an Italian gentleman just out of town, light or white cloud winery I think :confused:
Bit hot and arid in summer and damned cold in winter but not a bad spot.

Jack E
18th June 2005, 02:35 PM
which side of Australias favourite capital( :p ) are you on?

Iain,

I like Melboune because I like Tassie, and the only reason Tassie doesn't float away is because Melbourne SUCKS :D :D :D :D :D

Jack

Iain
18th June 2005, 06:56 PM
Given that you are in the unfortunate situation to guide a landrover I shall take that remark with the mirth intended :D :D :D :D

Jack E
2nd July 2005, 01:13 PM
I don't actually guide the Land Rover anymore.
About a year ago SWMBO had a knee reco and could not drive a manual, she took the Landy and I was stuck with her Laser.
The original plan when we bought the Landy was that a year later we would ditch the laser and get her something sporty.
However, once she was firmly entrenched in the Landy, I traded her crappy old Laser for a nice XR6 ute :D :D :D

Now when I go to work for two weeks at a time the Landy doesn't move and she gets many comments on how cool it is for a chick to drive a nice ute.

BTW, the ute has only earnt one speeding fine thus far, guess who was driving. :D :D :D I am still holding that one over her!!

Jack.