PDA

View Full Version : Flame sheoak bowl

bassmansimon
30th March 2014, 06:14 PM
Here's a flame sheoak bowl I made recently. It was my first success in removing the foot of a bowl.
I burned the rim when polishing (just using a rag and polish but holding in place for a long time at high revs) to create the dark line on the rim.

Finished with shellawax.

Critique welcome.

Simon.

Cliff Rogers
30th March 2014, 06:52 PM
Nice one, what are the dimensions?

bassmansimon
30th March 2014, 07:06 PM
Sold before I remembered to measure, but I believe it was about 17cm diameter at the top.
simon

Tim the Timber Turner
31st March 2014, 01:15 PM
Flame Sheoak?

Very pale for Flame Sheoak,Allocasuarina inophloia.

Cheers

Tim:)

Ilya
31st March 2014, 01:19 PM
Very nicely done, and spectacular grain in the timber! It is a satisfying feeling to finish a small project like this, isn't it. :2tsup:

dai sensei
31st March 2014, 01:55 PM
Well done Simon, not sure about the shape, but I like the finish and burn detail :cool:

Flame Sheoak?

Cheers

Allocasuarina inophloia is more commonly known as Hairy Oak which this isn't. Flame Sheoak is just a common name anyway similar to Lace Sheoak etc and the only one that comes up under IBIS is Casuarina suberosa that is also known as Black Sheoak. Simon could confirm species but that colour is also typical of Rose Sheoak (Allocasuarina torulosa) and WA Sheoak (Casuarina fraserana) that are more the norm from bought blanks.

bassmansimon
31st March 2014, 03:05 PM
Well done Simon, not sure about the shape, but I like the finish and burn detail :cool:

Allocasuarina inophloia is more commonly known as Hairy Oak which this isn't. Flame Sheoak is just a common name anyway similar to Lace Sheoak etc and the only one that comes up under IBIS is Casuarina suberosa that is also known as Black Sheoak. Simon could confirm species but that colour is also typical of Rose Sheoak (Allocasuarina torulosa) and WA Sheoak (Casuarina fraserana) that are more the norm from bought blanks.

I'm not absolutely certain about the timber species. I purchased it as "flame sheoak" from the timber supplier. It was purchased at the same time as this turning blank: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=183413

Simon

PLD
1st April 2014, 01:21 AM
what ever the wood species, it turned out beautiful. The little burn in the rim is a very nice touch.

cqvillas
1st April 2014, 01:49 PM
Nice work, like it alot.

artme
1st April 2014, 06:59 PM
That is one gorgeous hunk of timber turned into a beautiful bowl!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
1st April 2014, 07:32 PM
Very well done and you sold it. Great job in making it and getting rid of it. :2tsup:

I think I might need to explain, it is better to be out of the house than to be in the house gathering dust.

Sawdust Maker
1st April 2014, 07:50 PM
nice :2tsup:

dusteater
2nd April 2014, 02:01 AM
I`ve seen a lot of different grains of Sheoak and if you want to use a "F" word to describe it then FANTASTIC comes to mind.Well done Simon.:2tsup:

brendan stemp
2nd April 2014, 08:35 AM
Flame Sheoak?

Cheers

There are too many variables when it comes to digital photography to be able to rely on your computer monitor to depict the true colour of timber. White balance, camera's colour balance, lighting and even your monitor's settings are the main ones. It could very well be that what you are seeing on your monitor is different to what I am seeing on mine and is completely different to what the actual timber looks like.