PDA

View Full Version : Laminex on Laminex

Rookie
14th June 2005, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure this has been covered before, but I've searched all over the place and can't find the thread I thought I read a while ago.

Simply, can I stick laminex onto laminex, and what do I need to do to do that in terms of preparation and glueing?

Sorry if it's been discussed before but I can't find it.

Pulse
15th June 2005, 09:26 AM
I'd probably speak to laminex, they have good documentation and would be sure to help. They sell a brushable contact adhesive that would probably do the job.

Cheers
Pulse

arms
15th June 2005, 09:31 AM
laying laminate (not laminex) over old laminate will be sucessful as long as the laminate you are appling the laminate to is in good order and not lifting ,i suggets you get a small angle grinder with a 40 grit sanding disc fitted and go over the entire surface to get a good gritty surface for the glue to bind to,any of the contact glues will do just be sure to follow the instructions on the can to the letter.

magnet 12
15th June 2005, 09:38 AM
Yes I have gone over existing layer of Laminex but I was confident that the original adhesive was good. Then I roughed surface of Laminex with orbital sander and applied strong glue. A neighbour did similar job in a damper area (bathroom) where there were already small signs of glue breakdown and sure enough 2 years later whole job has had to be redone.
Personally I generally wouldn't take the risk unless very sure of soundness of original job.

Rookie
15th June 2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks all. The current Laminex is very rough now and that's part of the reason I want to replace it. I'm sure it would take a glue without much more roughing. Unfortunately, while the surface is still very stuck to the substrate in most areas, I'm not confident that this is the case around the sink. It seems like it was originally a home made job and the two laminex sheets were joined right in line with the centre of the sink. It has started to part already a little.

I'll play it safe and go with new benchtops.