PDA

View Full Version : what lurks beneath

Greyham
14th June 2005, 07:44 PM
I previously asked a question about termites, nasty little buggers, I had a pest fellow come and give me some advice and expensive quotes. Because my house is mainly steel framed, with a small amount of timber, on a slab. I was not to concerned. (laughing in the face of disaster)

The pest inspector said I should check under the bath tub, so I braved it and pulled out the tiles in front, as you can see I have attached a couple of pics, I was surprised at the amount of damage they caused. I am not overly concerned due to the fact there is not much they can do to my house, I gather that because the shower may have been leaking a little under the bathtub and caused the timber to become something akin to a T-bone with mushroom sauce fit for termites.

Well looks like I am in line for a bathroom renovation sooner than I figured

MajorPanic
14th June 2005, 11:08 PM
A leaking shower pan cost us $32,000.00 in termite damage!! :eek: :eek:

Same sort of thing as you, I couldn't work out where this dirt was coming from that was on the saw bench..... look up idiot!!.... Duh!!
I do sympathize with you! ;)

rhack
16th June 2005, 04:40 PM
"mainly steel framed....on a slab. ......not much they can do to my house..."
Don't be too sure - I lived in a steel framed house, on a slab, with hardie plank internal and external walls.
They went thru' it in a matter of weeks - took out all the skirtings, kitchen cupboards etc. Even ate the plastic joiners between the wall sheets just leaving the paint as a thin skin. We could actually hear them chewing at night.
Admittedly it was the Darwin variety - XXL.
They love to make nests in the airholes and cavities in the slab.
They don't just stick to timber - they like plastic, (eg electrical insulation). Nests full of methane ... get the picture?

-r

Ashore
16th June 2005, 04:48 PM
Ever thought of breeding Echnidna's looks like you have a fair food supply for them

The trouble with life is there's no background music.