PDA

View Full Version : Blackbutt Platter and Tasmanian Myrtle Bowl.

Pat
4th April 2014, 08:39 PM
Well, the Illawarra Woodworker Group is having Sales and Demo's this weekend at The Thirroul Seaside Arts and Crafts Festival and I actually finished a few items.

NZ might remember the little platter,I started it on his Stubby. Dimensions: 540 wide x 45 thick Blackbutt Burl. Bloody hard!!!! I finished it on the Yellow Perill on the outboard side, thank dog for the 50rpm low speed as it is a little intimidating spinning up burl platters.

The stand is just a necessity, Redgum and English Oak locking pin (out of shot). All the plate stands were too small, this stand is 250mm tall.

The Tassy Myrtle bowl I got of ebay. It had gone abit oval in the change in locations, but once round it was a pleasure to turn. Dimensions: 255 wide x 105 deep. I tried to keep the walls to 12 -15mm thick. Sanded to P1000, EEE and 3 coats of Kunos Oil at speed.

This makes up for all the bowls that, for one reason or another, don't make it :U

Treecycle
4th April 2014, 09:03 PM
That Black Butt looks like one mean piece of wood to deal with.:oo:
Is the last photo the underside of the Myrtle bowl? It looks completely different to the other photos.

Pat
4th April 2014, 09:40 PM
Dallas, same bowl. Just not sanded and polished to the absolute out of the area, preferring an off the tool finish.

PLD
5th April 2014, 02:08 AM
Both very well done!

turnerted
5th April 2014, 04:35 PM
Some impressive work there Pat.Hope your sales go well.We have ours at the Old Fire Station in Kiama starting 15/4.
Ted