PDA

View Full Version : Very Large Turned Jarrah Burl Platter with Textured and Ebonised rim

Willy Nelson
5th April 2014, 03:32 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen

Here are a couple of photos of a recently completed Jarrah Burl Platter, dimensions 380 x 40. The rim is textured with a Robert Sorby and ebonised. The finish is 10 coats of Danish oil

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

Evanism
5th April 2014, 04:48 PM
Is the edge soaked in ammonia or something?

Willy Nelson
5th April 2014, 08:09 PM
Is the edge soaked in ammonia or something?

Ebonising is vinegar (any vinegar) and steel wool. Seal the edges that you DON'T want turned black, and then apply the vinegar, one coat is sufficient.

Willy

smiife
7th April 2014, 08:28 PM
Ebonising is vinegar (any vinegar) and steel wool. Seal the edges that you DON'T want turned black, and then apply the vinegar, one coat is sufficient.

Willy

Hi willy,
Very nice platter mate looks great,
how long does the mixture take to brew?
or do you just wack It straight on?
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

dai sensei
7th April 2014, 10:33 PM

Willy

Just to add to the above, if the timber has little or no tannins it won't work, but you can add some old tea leaves to the mix for the tannins. Just add the ingredients together and leave overnight or longer, then strain and you are ready to go. Sometimes you also need to leave in sun after painting the mix on, plus some timbers need a few coats to get it really black

DaveTTC
8th April 2014, 10:32 AM
Love it. I have been nervous to use my good wood yet as I dont wont to wreck it lol

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

chuck1
10th April 2014, 11:07 AM
another master peice!!! and thankyou for the tips on ebonising the rim!