PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Auckland, New Zealand

timtamsNcoffee
5th April 2014, 09:05 PM
Hello,

Name's Umar, from across the ditch :)

I am new to "fine" wood working, I've worked with wood before, but that was 95% home renovations with my father since I was a child.
I have a few hand held power tools and I just picked up a second hand ryobi table saw that I got for cheap http://www.ryobi.co.nz/Ryobi/files/d2/d20160a1-c64b-4107-b723-84d43b129e9b.png

I am looking forward to learning and getting to know the community here.

On a side note, I am in need of clamps. I would like F-style clamps, but they are expensive compared to quick release clamps that I have found at bunnings. Whats the general opinion on a "starter set" of clamps?

Cheers,

Umar.

old1955
6th April 2014, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Umar.

fubar
6th April 2014, 05:45 PM
welcome to the forum

BamBam53
6th April 2014, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Umar.

Have a look at Super Cheap Auto. They have F clamps at a reasonable price. They are not in the same league as Bessey clamps but they work for me.

Michael

crowie
6th April 2014, 09:12 PM
G'Day & Welcome "to the Great South Land" & to a top forum "Umar".
There are quite a few members from NZ on the forum as well as across the rest of the world..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

PS - keep an eye out for Garage Sales, Yard Sales, Clearance sales and deceased estates for some good older tools to get you started....

beeb
6th April 2014, 11:02 PM
:U
Hello,

Beeb from Albany WA
Hi Umar…I'm new too!…..Regarding Clamps…..I've decided to invest in Pipe clamps…..I'm finding the pipe to be difficult to locate in different lengths so I ended up at an Engineers shop and got them to cut me different sizes with threads both ends so that I can near enough make any size clams I want…..I decided on this method as Initially I was making a pair of gates at 1.6mts wide and 1.4 high. Finding the 1.8 sash clamps were difficult and would be expensive…..With pipe clamps i can make any size once I've made the initial investment……Always handy to have a few f clamps too but i thought I would make the suggestion to you

I am new to "fine" wood working, I've worked with wood before, but that was 95% home renovations with my father since I was a child.
I have a few hand held power tools and I just picked up a second hand ryobi table saw that I got for cheap http://www.ryobi.co.nz/Ryobi/files/d2/d20160a1-c64b-4107-b723-84d43b129e9b.png

I am looking forward to learning and getting to know the community here.

On a side note, I am in need of clamps. I would like F-style clamps, but they are expensive compared to quick release clamps that I have found at bunnings. Whats the general opinion on a "starter set" of clamps?

Cheers,

Umar.

Perfect Pens
6th April 2014, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forums Umar, Enjoy !!
Cheers
Tony

timtamsNcoffee
7th April 2014, 02:28 PM
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome,

:U

I've managed to source a pipe supplier that can cut and thread four 1m length of pipes for me, the foreman suggested standard black rather than galvanised, something about slippages when applying extra pressure.

I'll be going with 4 of these pipe clamps:
http://www.carbatec.co.nz/rockler-sure-foot-plus-34-pipe-clamp_c21943

They seem to have decent reviews online, plus I have local support for 'em if something goes wrong.

As for F clamps, I'll keep an eye out and see if I can snag 'em on discount or good second hand ones.

Cheers boys,
Umar.

Christos
13th April 2014, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

JJF
14th April 2014, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the forum.