PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel tubing needed .

thorens
6th April 2014, 09:10 PM
any one have some spare 10mm OD (1mm thickness ) and some 1/4" OD ( 1/2mm thickness ) ?
i need short length of the 10mm and around 12" or 400mm of the 1/4" .
if any one have some to pass with please PM me .willing to pay for postage if interstate as well as material cost.
thanks
peter

issatree
7th April 2014, 12:26 AM
Hi Peter,
Try the Muffler Shops Bin.

thorens
7th April 2014, 12:34 AM
Hi Peter,
Try the Muffler Shops Bin.

Thanks.
I'm not sure if those guy would have these small diameter tube .i think they dealing with bigger tubes normally ?
regards
Peter

BaronJ
7th April 2014, 02:33 AM
any one have some spare 10mm OD (1mm thickness ) and some 1/4" OD ( 1/2mm thickness ) ?
i need short length of the 10mm and around 12" or 400mm of the 1/4" .
if any one have some to pass with please PM me .willing to pay for postage if interstate as well as material cost.
thanks
peter

Hello Peter, I'm in the UK but I'm sure you will have a scrap yard around. Hot water hand wash units have a stainless steel spigot that is about 10 mm OD. I don't know about the wall thickness. Or maybe food machinery manufacturers !

HTH.

Hunch
7th April 2014, 07:12 AM
One of my suppliers, does 3/8". Possibly have some 316 around in that size, 1.6 wall - no guarantees I could find it in any timely manner. The 1/4" stuff, no idea who would carry. Maybe get on alibaba and ask for samples might be easiest?

I usually import thin stuff out of the US. Locally, suppliers say they have 1.2 and .9 tubing in their catalogues (in the sizes I use!) nobody has stumped up for a mill run in a very long time as best I can determine.

thorens
7th April 2014, 10:38 AM
One of my suppliers, does 3/8". Possibly have some 316 around in that size, 1.6 wall - no guarantees I could find it in any timely manner. The 1/4" stuff, no idea who would carry. Maybe get on alibaba and ask for samples might be easiest?

I usually import thin stuff out of the US. Locally, suppliers say they have 1.2 and .9 tubing in their catalogues (in the sizes I use!) nobody has stumped up for a mill run in a very long time as best I can determine.

Thanks.
I have the 3/8 and that is what seem to be available here in AU . in fact I have a 3/8" but i need the 10mm for a one of job and only short . it is a pain in the butt to drill the solid 10mm SS rod .
that is why i asking around to see any one work shop have some laying around they can pass with .
regards
peter

Ropetangler
7th April 2014, 11:40 AM
Just a suggestion but in a past life I worked for a mining company, and they used 1/4" SS tube in the plant instrumentation in various parts, often when connecting instrumentation air from control valve to actuator. It may be worth looking up industrial instrumentation companies in the Yellow Pages. I would also check with the likes of Pirtek and NZ, even if they don't have any, they should know where you might get what you want.
Rob

Machtool
7th April 2014, 02:08 PM
I have a full length, I swore should be 1/4", but I just measured it and its 6mm x 0.9. Cant even remember why I had metric Stainless.

If worse comes to worst, and you have to buy it. I'd be looking at Fagersta Steels or Stauff hydraulics.

If you are going to the trouble of drilling your own, have you considered using a smaller tube, and silver soldering sleeves on the end to bring you back to 10mm?

Regards Phil.

kwijibo99
7th April 2014, 03:10 PM
G’day Peter,
I have no idea if this helps but I have some ½” x 1mm and 5/16” x 0.5mm?? (I think) both 316.
If either of these is of any use you are more than welcome to some.
Cheers,
Greg.

thorens
7th April 2014, 09:21 PM
G’day Peter,
I have no idea if this helps but I have some ½” x 1mm and 5/16” x 0.5mm?? (I think) both 316.
If either of these is of any use you are more than welcome to some.
Cheers,
Greg.

thanks Greg.
this job really needed the 10mm/1mm thickness and the 1/4" .
* Phil.
Thanks , I will check those out. it is a sane to import two small pieces of SS like this . i have plenty of the 3/8" if your guy ever need them.
cheers
Peter

thorens
7th April 2014, 09:23 PM
Just a suggestion but in a past life I worked for a mining company, and they used 1/4" SS tube in the plant instrumentation in various parts, often when connecting instrumentation air from control valve to actuator. It may be worth looking up industrial instrumentation companies in the Yellow Pages. I would also check with the likes of Pirtek and NZ, even if they don't have any, they should know where you might get what you want.
Rob

thanks Rob.
will check into those you suggest
regards
Peter

PDW
7th April 2014, 09:31 PM
I can get my hands on 1/4" stainless tube without dramas but it's 1mm wall thickness. Friend of mine uses it for high pressure airlines.

No idea what it's worth but it wouldn't be free as even the offcuts get used for tails etc.

Anyway whoever sells Swagelok fittings will be a source for the tubing - probably available in 0.5mm wall, we run 4000 psi in the 1mm wall stuff.

PDW

Michael G
7th April 2014, 10:31 PM
I need short length of the 10mm and ...

Peter, how much is a short length?

Michael

thorens
7th April 2014, 10:44 PM
Peter, how much is a short length?

Michael

good Day Michael.
i need around 150mm but 100mm will also do .
cheers
Peter

thorens
7th April 2014, 10:45 PM
I can get my hands on 1/4" stainless tube without dramas but it's 1mm wall thickness. Friend of mine uses it for high pressure airlines.

No idea what it's worth but it wouldn't be free as even the offcuts get used for tails etc.

Anyway whoever sells Swagelok fittings will be a source for the tubing - probably available in 0.5mm wall, we run 4000 psi in the 1mm wall stuff.

PDW

Hi PDW.
on the 1/4" tube I really need the .5mm wall thickness.
can you see if you can get me some ?
regards
peter

Michael G
7th April 2014, 11:00 PM
Right - next set of silly questions.

Does it have to be a smooth bore? (Does the tube have to be seamless or can it have a weld fin along the length. If you got some say 10mm by 1.5mm tube, would drilling it out to 10mm by 1mm be acceptable?)
Does it need to be pressure capable?
Do you need continuous lengths? - If you got say 3 x 50mm lengths of the diameter 10 would that work?
Lastly, what is the urgency? how long can you wait?

I can get some of this stuff from the US, but 10mm comes in 0.5mm wt or 1.5mm wt. 1/4" is easier but is either in 1 ft lengths or 3 ft lengths. Typically the tube is cheap (ish) but freight costs.

Michael

thorens
8th April 2014, 12:05 AM
Right - next set of silly questions.

Does it have to be a smooth bore? (Does the tube have to be seamless or can it have a weld fin along the length. If you got some say 10mm by 1.5mm tube, would drilling it out to 10mm by 1mm be acceptable?)
Does it need to be pressure capable?
Do you need continuous lengths? - If you got say 3 x 50mm lengths of the diameter 10 would that work?
Lastly, what is the urgency? how long can you wait?

I can get some of this stuff from the US, but 10mm comes in 0.5mm wt or 1.5mm wt. 1/4" is easier but is either in 1 ft lengths or 3 ft lengths. Typically the tube is cheap (ish) but freight costs.

Michael

Hi Michael.
yes smooth ore is nice but i can always run the drill bit in to smooth it if it was rough . it need to e seamless and 1mm wall .
i do need continue length of 150mm or even 100mm as said .
i need it in a few days time otherwise i import them my self so thanks for your kind offer .
regards
Peter

jackaroo
8th April 2014, 12:23 AM
I cant remember the name of the place but the address is either 1 or 3 Ordish Rd, Dandenong South.

jackaroo
8th April 2014, 12:27 AM
From google map. Its 5 Ordish Rd. and the sign is "STAINLESS, George Archer Metals"
http://www.archermetals.com.au/

thorens
8th April 2014, 12:49 AM
From google map. Its 5 Ordish Rd. and the sign is "STAINLESS, George Archer Metals"
http://www.archermetals.com.au/

Thanks.
I give them a call tomorrow and see what they offer.
regards
Peter

PDW
8th April 2014, 08:44 AM
Hi PDW.
on the 1/4" tube I really need the .5mm wall thickness.
can you see if you can get me some ?
regards
peter

Not 0.5mm wall thickness, no. I checked yesterday, don't use it as its pressure rating isn't adequate.

Thought I might have some 10mm but no, it's all 1/2". I have a lot of that but no use to you.

PDW

QC Inspector
9th April 2014, 04:02 PM
Try an airport and see if any of the aircraft mechanics have anything you can work with. Aircraft use various SS alloys and aluminium for hydraulic, brake, and fuel lines. The other thought I had was brake lines for cars.

Pete

thorens
9th April 2014, 06:01 PM
Try an airport and see if any of the aircraft mechanics have anything you can work with. Aircraft use various SS alloys and aluminium for hydraulic, brake, and fuel lines. The other thought I had was brake lines for cars.

Pete

Thanks Pete.
yes call them today and they have the 1/4" but the wall thickness is a bit thick for the job .they offer me to come around to see if they have anything's suit me in they bargain bin .
so i will check it out tomorrow. they only 10mins from me.
regards
Peter

azzrock
11th April 2014, 11:08 PM
Outokumpu Pty.ltd
134-136 Fitzgerald Rd
Melbourne VIC 3026
i havent been in but often drive past.

Plus pete the 1/4 i have has been in a coil so you might have to straighten any
400mm bit.
not shore if its right for the high end stuff you make. but your welcome to look.
aaron