PDA

View Full Version : RedGum Posts and Off Cuts

barrysumpter
2nd July 2000, 10:05 AM
Hi All,
I've just paid a small fortune for a boundry fence. The builder used Red Gum posts and left me the offcuts and a 10' post that was left over.
Its roughcut but I would like to know if I should be using this type of wood for my woodwork?
Is there a way I can take advantage of the smell?
Like the banket box with a tray made of cedar?
I've been planning to make a knife rack out of Jarry posts of the same general dimentions as the red gum posts.

Is RedGum OK for a knife rack?

Any other suggestion for using RedGum would be appreciated.

Also, since the fence is exposed to the weather, should I treat the already treated fence pailings with anything else?

What about the hardwood rails?

What about the RedGum posts?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Roger Peine
2nd July 2000, 12:52 PM
Redgum is quite a lovely timber although, it has an inherant want to, twist, warp, bend and move in all directions at once .
Your post and offcuts are more than likely still green, ( not dry ). So i would suggest putting your post and offcuts into your garage / shed / workshop or; ( if failing that under your bed )until dry . In the southern states it is recommended that timber for furniture be dried down to at least 12% moisture content . Hey it's worth the wait .
I recently made a coffee table for a client out of recycled red gum which had an enormous amount of figure, the finished product is beautiful to say the least .
Have fun