PDA

View Full Version : Caravan or Motor Home

Grumpy John
15th April 2014, 01:02 PM
My wife and I are at that stage in life where we are ready to start traveling for extended periods and I am looking for input from people as to the pros and cons of motor homes and caravans.

I'm not asking which is best as that is a personal choice, but I would like to hear of peoples experiences whilst traveling. Would you do anything different, go bigger/smaller? Were you restricted in going places because of vehicle choice?

Our current vehicle is a Ford BF wagon and we have a small Slingshot Camper which I took to Coober Pedy and the Ood Track last year. We also have a 15' Coromal Pop Top van. I would prefer to keep the Slingshot as it's perfect for short trips, but I don't like the van much as it's a pig to tow and I think a fifteen footer would be too small for extended trips.

Anyway, thoughts, opinions and suggestions welcome.

dai sensei
15th April 2014, 03:06 PM
Well I love my slide on, although relatively small it has toilet/shower and everything you really need, plus it is lightweight and allows me to tow something else.

The only area I have had issues with a long rig is in SA national parks, as their sites are more setup for foldout campers in most locations. Most caravan parks are fine, except those villages that are mainly filled with cabins anyway. Roadside stops and other grey nomads stops are also Ok.

Power and water are critical when trying to minimise costs whilst travelling to enable you to use the many free stops. So make sure you have plenty of water and generating ability on board.

Cheers

DaveTTC
15th April 2014, 05:55 PM
I've travelled with caravan on the back of a motor home.

As for access I found my bus could go places a could not in a 2wd and even some 4wd would not have got there.

Ultimate choice for me.

Big motor home with big trailer / workshop that can park a smaller car in it for when we are hanging around somewhere and don't want to take the bus all the time.

It comes down to what luxuries you want, how accessible you want them to be, where you want to go and how long you might stay at a location plus the travel you might do from any given base.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Toymaker Len
15th April 2014, 07:13 PM
I've just bought a VW Trakka conversion last christmas. It has a pop-top, folding double bed, fourt seats, fridge, cooker, sink, 40 litres water. I've just installed 160 watt solar panels on roof. We have been getting into amazing places where you just can't go with a motorhome or a caravan. The only caravan park we have stayed in was in Moree so we could use the hot pools and we were surrounded by RVs that not only pay a couple of hundred per week for space but almost never get to see the outside of caravan parks. Another plus is being able to stop in pouring rain and not having to get out to set up. We just park and walk back into our little space and pop the top and cook dinner. So for me a campervan ticks all the boxes.

_fly_
15th April 2014, 07:36 PM
Got a friend with a motorhome (big one). and now tows a trailer behind it with a little car to use at places, the whole pack up when you want to go to shops or a walk around town or sightseeing from a central place is a pain.

Unless you can talk the missus into riding on the back of a motorbike that you can put inside for sightseeing trips.

Big Shed
15th April 2014, 08:03 PM
Something like this perhaps?

Was camped at Campbell Town - Tas a few nights ago and this rocked up.

Plenty of space, even towed a full size Rodeo 4WD.

The ultimate for me would be a 5th wheeler, lots of space (some even have workshops at the back!) easy to tow and easy to set up.

As above, I wouldn't have a motorhome without towing a small car behind it.

Caravan towing with a sedan like a BA Falcon has whiskers on it, too light even for a 15 footer.

We tow our 19ft Jayco Heritage with a Hyundai Terracan (diesel), magic. Just finishing a month tour of Tassie, back on the Spirit of Tasmania this Thursday.:2tsup:

Oh and if you go travelling get a copy of the WikiCamps (http://www.wikicamps.com.au/) app (iPad and Android), best thing since sliced bread to find both free camps and caravan park, and get some opinions from other users. Best $4.99 I ever spent.

DaveTTC
15th April 2014, 09:13 PM
Big shed. I want the blue one

Van and motor home does not let me have my shop and car. I want to tow a double decker trailer behind a double decker.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

ian
15th April 2014, 09:51 PM
Grumpy

I have a friend who is currently travelling with an Iveco van towing his caravan.
The van has space for a small workshop plus his dirt and road bikes.

Have travelled a bit with a pop-top Hyace -- packing up to go anywhere is a real pain.
Likewise would towing a car behind a Winebago

I really like the look of a 5th wheeler -- team it with a 4WD and a couple of swags and I recon you could go anywhere.

Grumpy John
15th April 2014, 09:52 PM
Been looking at the Mazda 5 cyl BT50. They're exxy, but get great reviews.

dai sensei
15th April 2014, 11:12 PM
Was camped at Campbell Town - Tas a few nights ago and this rocked up.

Plenty of space, even towed a full size Rodeo 4WD..

Dam I wish I took a photo now, I had one camped beside me similar, only it also had a 3rd level pop top on the bus plus his trailer was a solid (enough for workshop and car :o). He had a 500 l water tank and 250 l fuel tank from which he got only ~500-600 kms from, yes >50 l/100km :o

Oh and if you go travelling get a copy of the WikiCamps (http://www.wikicamps.com.au/) app (iPad and Android), best thing since sliced bread to find both free camps and caravan park, and get some opinions from other users. Best $4.99 I ever spent.

I 2nd that :2tsup:

Been looking at the Mazda 5 cyl BT50. They're exxy, but get great reviews.

Yep, excellent for me, all up my setup fully loaded is 5.5t and I'm still averaging 14.5 l/100km max travelling via all the mountain ranges around Aus

rsser
21st May 2014, 09:33 AM
GJ, the BT50's got 'the tick' from a couple of well qualified family members.

As for motorhome v caravan, depends as well on your travel habits. We like setting up in one spot for a few days and getting to know the area on foot or by car so having a camp suits us.

issatree
21st May 2014, 06:21 PM
Hi GJ,
It was a long time ago now, but I bought a Toyota Coaster, '85.
Has been done over with a 100HP. Isuzu Diesel Motor,
Could almost spin the Wheels in 3rd. Gear.
Yes, we used C/Parks, & if we needed something down the street, or if we had to pack up to leave, it took us 3 mins.
You don't have any worries pulling a van behind, & we were always able to get a Parking Spot when in a Town. Didn't stick out to far when angled Parked.
Had a Kawasaki 1400 ?? Generator, 4 Batteries, 3 way Fridge, Gas Cook Top.
On cold mornings we wood light up the cook top, & in no time the Home was warm.
Wife & I had a Ball, so Motor Home wood be my choice.

Chris Parks
23rd May 2014, 01:09 AM
I am glad I am not feeding that blue thing with fuel! As an ex truck driver it seems to me that I would not want something to big as around metro areas if you wrong slot the road it is a pain to turn around, been there and done that a few times. I have also heard of bigger units having trouble accessing caravan parks but that was some time ago so thing might have changed. I think a medium sized 4wd diesel van towing a caravan would be a very flexible arrangement. It is a pity the Sprinter van is not available as a 4wd, it is bullet proof and damned comfortable to drive long distances unlike the Jap vans.

Optimark
23rd May 2014, 06:54 PM
Chris parkes, the Sprinter is available as a 4WD in this country, has been for quite some years. I personally know of one fella who owns three ex QLD ambulance Sprinters 4WD.

I also believe that the new 4WD sprinter with genuine low range and possibly locking diffs, is now available in Australia.

Mick.

Chris Parks
23rd May 2014, 09:18 PM
I could not see a 4wd version on the MB website so perhaps they are not a stock model for Oz. I just had another look and a 4wd does not appear, special order perhaps?

Optimark
24th May 2014, 02:25 AM
Chris, this is a link to a test in Australia some time ago.

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/working-4wd-vehicles/mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4

Currently I am in the little fishing village of Prerow in far northen Germany, the local council has one Unimog that I've seen and at least one Sprinter with low range and other such stuff went past yesterday.

It looks a bit different to the ones I have seen in Oz underneath, but then again my memory isn't that good on these matters.

In answer to the orginal question, the shorteer the package, the better you will be able to get into places others cannot.

Our unit is a smidge under 6m in length, the only real issue we have is height, as in overhanging tree branches.

As for living space requirements, well, one takes what one can get with the limitations of each different configuration of camper, motorhome, fifth wheeler, caravan or sleeping on or under the back of a ute.

Our slide-on unit is 4m long and includes virtually all requirements for bopping along tracks and is designed to be completely self sufficient with regard to electrical power; we have solar and all things are powered by 12V; we even have a 12V direct power supply for the computer.

It is smallish, yet perfectly good for two people, so far, after nearly 5 years, we have not been trying to get home to a good bed or what have you even after a few months on the road in one hit.

We don't have any television, but basically, we don't go bush to watch television.

Mick.

Chris Parks
24th May 2014, 02:45 AM
I saw that test but the references in it say that the vans are yet to reach Oz for retail sale.

Quote...We'll evaluate these safety initiatives when equipped vehicles arrive Down Under.

I can't find any reference to a 4wd van on the MB website.

Optimark
24th May 2014, 02:55 AM
Chris, I agree you will not find any reference from Mercedes Benz Australia, however Daimler is the manufacturer, (I think) and this is a reference to the PDF available to Australia from Daimler Trucks in Adelaide.

http://daimlertrucksadelaide.com.au/Websites/dtatest/images/Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter_brochure_2013-1.pdf

I could do some more research, but I'm off to evening dinner shortly while you should be going to bed as it's around 0200 hours in Melbourne as I write this. :D

Mick

Grumpy John
24th May 2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. After much thought and discussion with my wife we've decided to go with a Landcruiser and caravan setup.
We're going dip the toe in with a few short trips (4 -6 weeks) with the existing 15 footer before investing in a larger van for the big lap. No point setting up for a year on the road if the lifestyle doesn't suit you. I've already fitted an Anderson plug and Tekonsha P2 electric brake control to the Toyota.
Once again, thanks for all the input

Grumpy John
6th November 2014, 11:53 AM
We finally settled on a 100 Series Landcruiser and 17' Royal Flair Discovery combo (both 2nd. hand).
Spent a few months and quite a few dollars getting things sorted to suit us and what we would like to do.
This includes, but not limited to:
Fitting Anderson Plug to Landcruiser
Fitting recovery points to Landcruiser
Fitting Tekonsha P3 electric brake controller to Landcruiser
Purchase of Engal 40 Ltr. fridge
New tyres for Cruiser
Trailer Mate jack/jockey wheel for van
New tyres for van
Generator

The setup in use.

Mods required to fit generator into front toolbox.

There was a spare anode for the HWS in one of the drawers so I thought "what the hell", let's see if it needs replacing. Whadya reckon??? Makes you think twice about using hot water for cooking or making a cuppa :no:.

rsser
6th November 2014, 12:22 PM
Good setup. Can't go wrong with a Cruiser.

So, isn't that the anode doing its job?

Did you put an isolator or relay in the charging circuit?

Grumpy John
6th November 2014, 12:26 PM
G'day Ern, I was thinking of you this morning. We must catch up sometime soon.
Yes, the anode is definitely doing its job and, yes we have an isolator in the circuit.

Check out my photo's from Mungo (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=189744).

rsser
6th November 2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that'd be good. I've just upgraded to a 'proper' 4WD and new camper trailer as it happens and will be off for a week on Monday for the shake-down cruise. Will get in touch afterwards.

4WDs are just a container to pour money into if you want to travel don't you find? Remember the old woodturning expense ratio? For every dollar on the lathe x dollars on the rest. For my wagon mods and accessories have hit 15% of its price :oo:

The Mungo shots are great. That shed is a wonder of bush carpentry. If you're back up that way take a look at the shearing shed in Kinchega NP (Menindie lakes). There's still some bits of the low tech wet grinder lying around that they used for the shears. Was probably faster than a Tormek :D

Grumpy John
6th November 2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah, that'd be good. I've just upgraded to a 'proper' 4WD and new camper trailer as it happens and will be off for a week on Monday for the shake-down cruise. Will get in touch afterwards.

4WDs are just a container to pour money into if you want to travel don't you find? Remember the old woodturning expense ratio? For every dollar on the lathe x dollars on the rest. For my wagon mods and accessories have hit 15% of its price :oo:

The Mungo shots are great. That shed is a wonder of bush carpentry. If you're back up that way take a look at the shearing shed in Kinchega NP (Menindie lakes). There's still some bits of the low tech wet grinder lying around that they used for the shears. Was probably faster than a Tormek :D

I was up at Kinchega in June, will put some photo's of the woolshed in my Broken Hill (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=187814) thread.
Where are you going on the "shakedown" cruise?

rsser
6th November 2014, 01:14 PM
Will do a loop round the Snowy in Vic. Up the West side, McKillops Bridge, down the East side. The easy to medium bits of this: http://www.fwdvictoria.org.au/iconic4wd/snowyriver.html

Grumpy John
6th November 2014, 01:16 PM
Noice. :2tsup:

rsser
6th November 2014, 01:21 PM
Cross fingers. The rig's more capable than the driver at this stage. I've signed up for a 4WD course in a few weeks.