PDA

View Full Version : My last turnings

Dalboy
16th April 2014, 06:04 AM
Well hopefully my last turnings on the old lathe as I will be going to Stile and Bates Saturday to buy a Record Power CL3 which should last me.

The first is a tea light made from Sapele and the second is a small hollow form from a Ash log.

The Ash hollow form is about 1 - 1.5mm thick except the base which is about 5mm it is about 75mm tall. Some very careful cuts required on that one the shavings coming of were so fine.

wheelinround
16th April 2014, 08:43 AM
:o first thoughts you were giving it all away :p

Look forward to major improvements then with new lathe :; if you can improve on perfection :U

Dalboy
16th April 2014, 09:04 AM
:o first thoughts you were giving it all away :p

Look forward to major improvements then with new lathe :; if you can improve on perfection :U

The only condition of getting another lathe was I had to sell one as she said having three is not good for my health, Not quite sure what she meant by that:question:

wheelinround
16th April 2014, 09:55 AM
:oo: I know the feeling similar when checking out new Cougar 400 at trend this last weekend I got "which one will you be getting rid of "????

Christos
16th April 2014, 10:04 AM
Nice job on the turnings. Is the Ash Log an oval turning?

chuck1
16th April 2014, 06:33 PM
nothing wrong with a few lathes! I have 3 operational and 2 not going! long as they are not in the house! nice turning by the way!

DaveTTC
22nd April 2014, 07:18 PM
I have 4 in my man cave, one on my trailer and another 4 on my front veranda. I think that is all.

Back on topic. Like the turnings. Which leads me to another question. Do we need to use those glass inserts for tea lights. As they come in foil can you just drill a hole to suit the foil?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Tim_N
22nd April 2014, 07:45 PM
The ash is lovely. I cant imagine how much practice it takes to get that kind of "thinness" on the walls ! I am still at the 1 - 1.5CM on the walls :)

Dalboy
23rd April 2014, 02:20 AM
Some how managed to miss a few posts. So apologise for not replying earlier.

Glad you liked them

Nice job on the turnings. Is the Ash Log an oval turning?

No it is turned as normal but the grain running at 90 deg to how many would normally set the wood for hollow form

I have 4 in my man cave, one on my trailer and another 4 on my front veranda. I think that is all.

Back on topic. Like the turnings. Which leads me to another question. Do we need to use those glass inserts for tea lights. As they come in foil can you just drill a hole to suit the foil?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

I always put them in as a double safe guard and always advise using them

The ash is lovely. I cant imagine how much practice it takes to get that kind of "thinness" on the walls ! I am still at the 1 - 1.5CM on the walls :)

Practice is one of the things the other is patience keep stopping and measuring also when you get down near the thickness take very light cuts with sharp tools.